This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

School of American Ballet Workshop 2014May 31 & June 3

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 flipsy

flipsy

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

On my way into Lincoln Center Saturday night I saw a poster for a ballet company with a quote from a critic: “At this level, ballet is a belief system.”  The sentence flashed back during Serenade, as a girl arched into a full arabesque, bounding across the floor.  Serenade is an initiation, for performers and audiences alike, into a great mystery.  For better or worse, this girl was becoming a believer, in an art form that goes beyond normal human experience.   SAB’s performance was full of little flaws, but they didn’t matter, they even added to the spell.  Here, in every sense, were human beings in the process of becoming angels, messengers of the divine.

More at 

http://occupythearts...-at-eighty.html

#17 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Does anyone know who was chosen as apprentices?

#18 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

Just wanted to say that excerpts from the SAB workshop will be broadcast on PBS Great Performances on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9pm.

#19 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

Just wanted to say that excerpts from the SAB workshop will be broadcast on PBS Great Performances on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9pm.

Thank you, Amour. The discussion of the broadcast is here:

http://balletalert.i...-workshop-2014/

#20 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

A reminder here that this year's workshop will be featured in a not-really-Live from Lincoln Center broadcast on PBS entitled “Curtain Up: The School of American Ballet Workshop Performance." Some stations will show it tonight, Friday night. In New York it will be shown on Sunday. Alastair Macaulay has an enthusiastic preview: A Performance Onstage Returns Anew on the Screen

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

This coming Sunday (12/14) on KCTS (Seattle area) at 4 pm. It's being rebroadcast at the usual middle-of-the-night choice - probably after a greatest-hits-of-the-60s pledge broadcast...

#22 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

In Denver, it's only on a premium PBS channel not included in basic cable. I'm sure I saw a note somewhere that after the first broadcast, PBS.org would be streaming it on-line, but can't seem to find that back. http://www.pbs.org/l.../program-notes/

#23 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

In San Francisco it will be shown on KQED Life (Channel 54.3; XFINITY 189) -

Curtain Up: The School of American Ballet Workshop Performances (#3907H) Duration: 1:26:46

1. KQED Life: Mon, Dec 15, 2014 -- 8:00pm 
  2. KQED Life: Tue, Dec 16, 2014 -- 2:00am 

#24 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Out here in the heartland (Iowa City)...Iowa Public Television is showing this program, once, AT 2AM DEC 15.  I tried to shame them into reconsidering but they are incapable of being shamed.  The executive director told me they were going to show something, in the primetime slot, more in line with Midwestern values - an opera from Minnesota Public Television.  It makes me sick.  I guess they don't know that there are many aspiring young ballerinas dutifully taking ballet lessons in this state.

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

Out here in the heartland (Iowa City)...Iowa Public Television is showing this program, once, AT 2AM DEC 15.  I tried to shame them into reconsidering but they are incapable of being shamed.  The executive director told me they were going to show something, in the primetime slot, more in line with Midwestern values - an opera from Minnesota Public Television.  It makes me sick.  I guess they don't know that there are many aspiring young ballerinas dutifully taking ballet lessons in this state.

The part I find most dispiriting is that they don't think it would be a good idea to show both.

#26 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

Here in Chicago, it's getting one showing - at 12:00 noon on Sunday!  Lunchtime, but in daytime!  (On their second sub-channel though, in standard definition, not HD.)  Thinking to alert friends in south Florida, I couldn't find any broadcasts to tip them off about, and in West Palm Beach and Naples, it's at 3:00 AM.

It used to be, many years ago, that Live from Lincoln Center was prime time material.  Apparently, things went downhill gradually:

PBS discovered that

high-culture programming is (a) hugely expensive to produce and (b) not nearly as popular as "Antiques Roadshow."

So there we are. (?)  

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

PBS discovered that

high-culture programming is (a) hugely expensive to produce and (b) not nearly as popular as "Antiques Roadshow."

So there we are. (?)  

I wonder if that was during the same meeting in which CBC came to the same conclusion.

#28 soubrette_fan

soubrette_fan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

If anyone has a Roku streaming device, it's available for unlimited viewing on the PBS Roku channel.smile.png   Just do a search for "lincoln" on the channel's main screen, and it should come up.

http://www.pbs.org/roku/home/

#29 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

It used to be, many years ago, that Live from Lincoln Center was prime time material.  Apparently, things went downhill gradually:

Thanks for the link to Teachout's essay. I was particularly interested in this statement

Such a series would, of course, be a costly venture, and I doubt that it would rack up especially high ratings. But I'm certain that it would exert a beneficial influence on the arts in America all out of proportion to the size of its viewership. If I had to pick a single program that showed what public TV can do, it would be "Great Performances: Dance in America." Throughout the '70s and '80s, "Dance in America" regularly aired performances of major works by most of the key choreographers of the 19th and 20th centuries. As much as anything else, it was these telecasts that triggered the "dance boom" in America—not by telling viewers that George Balanchine and Paul Taylor were important choreographers, but by showing them uncut performances of masterpieces like Balanchine's "The Four Temperaments" and Mr. Taylor's "Esplanade."

There were indeed other elements that were also drivers of the surge in dance work in the 70s and 80s, but DiA was an astonishing program. Like most people my age who were dancing in smaller communities, it was an incredible education.

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

Washington, DC's PBS affiliate, WETA, has this scheduled for Friday, Dec. 19, at 10PM. A 90-minute program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):