• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hallberg will dance in the fall season. But am curious why Semionova will not.

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the performane calendar.  They are skipping a performance on Friday of the second week, but doubling up with two shows on Sunday of the second week, 

#18 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

As always, the real annoyance is that it takes so long to get casting info for the Fall season -- so much longer than for the Met season.  Wonder why this is?

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the performane calendar.  They are skipping a performance on Friday of the second week, but doubling up with two shows on Sunday of the second week, 

They're skipping Halloween, as they did last year. Hard to compete with the other festivities in town, I guess. 

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

No info on any discount if you buy multiple performances.  I assume there will not be any such discount.  Also, these tickets will be subject to the per ticket Koch theater facility fee.  It is strange that they skip Halloween. 

#21 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hallberg will dance in the fall season. But am curious why Semionova will not.

Semionova is scheduled to dance Juliet November 6th and 8th at the Mikhailovsky, right after the Koch Season ends.  But I don't know if she has any other guesting engagements that conflict with the Koch Season as it is going on.

http://www.mikhailov...lina_semionova/

#22 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I think this is terrific repertory on the whole--very happy about the Raymonda divertissements (something Semionova would have likely been quite good in...perhaps she will dance in spring). Right now, it does not look as if I will be able to make it this year, but if other obligations don't interfere this is repertory that would definitely bring me to NY -- as would Hallberg.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes, this is very good rep.  Not sure if the Liam Scarlett ballet will be any good, but I'm willing to see it.  I didn't like the ballet he did for NYCB last season.  He is also choreographing a new work for NYCB this fall, with a premiere set for opening night on Sept 23. He is spreading himself pretty thin. Two world premieres within a one month period.

It will be very interesting to see how the ABT Raymonda Divert. stacks up against Balanchine's Raymonda Variations and Cortege Hongrois.

#24 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

I think this is terrific repertory on the whole--very happy about the Raymonda divertissements (something Semionova would have likely been quite good in...perhaps she will dance in spring). Right now, it does not look as if I will be able to make it this year, but if other obligations don't interfere this is repertory that would definitely bring me to NY -- as would Hallberg.

Maybe, they are preparing for the full lenght Raymonda in the future season.

#25 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Maybe, they are preparing for the full lenght Raymonda in the future season.

so hope so. It has been far too long since we've seen it, and while the production wasn't perfect, it can be such an exciting vehicle for a versatile ballerina. I really think ABT could have given Seven Sonatas a rest, but I suppose they had to include something by Ratmansky. I also think they've done Fancy Free far too often over the past decade, but there's obviously no way they could exclude it from their 75th Anniversary year. In any case, it will be fun to see some new dancers in those roles. I'm pretty shocked (but delighted!) that Hallberg is back for the fall season. 

#26 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I really think ABT could have given Seven Sonatas a rest...

Haven't they done it in NYC only twice before this?

#27 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

I hope KM's involvement in Raymonda Div. is minimal and it's a precursor to a new full length version staged by Kolpakova. I don't hate Ann Marie Holmes version but I found it lacking, why go to Holmes when you have Kolpakova in-house.

They're skipping Halloween, as they did last year. Hard to compete with the other festivities in town, I guess.

Is Halloween really such an 800-pound gorilla you need to keep clear? Or ABT could turn lemon into lemonade by scheduling an one-time only Halloween-themed ballet like Giselle with Vishneva and Gomes, it'd finish at 9:45pm, and people still have plenty of time to go to a graveyard to be chased by real wilis.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hallberg will dance in the fall season.

He got injured shortly after he joined Bolshoi and had a longish hiatus, may be he felt obligated to put in more time with Bolshoi after he recovered? Now that the due is paid, he may feel free to spend more time with ABT.

#28 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well, Halloween is on a Friday this year, which means 1) turnout for the annual Greenwich Village Halloween parade* will likely be higher than it might be if Halloween were on a weeknight, 2) which in turn means transport in to, out of, and around the city will be packed and streets and roads will be congested; and 3) people with children (and many without) will be dealing in some way, shape, or form with trick-or-treating. Taking Halloween off is not the dumbest idea ABT's ever had.

* I believe something like 50,000 people participate and 2 million more line up to watch. I sing in a chorus that rehearses in the Village; if a rehearsal happens to fall on Halloween, we cancel it. 

#29 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

I believe Career Transition for Dancers also has their big gala on Halloween each year, so a bunch of dance patrons and professionals go to that on Halloween evening.

#30 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

This year the Career Transition gala is on Monday Oct 6.  It's always on a Monday because most performers have Mondays off.  No conflict with ABT. By the way, the quality of the CTFD galas has gone way down.  I used to attend every year from the time when they had the galas at the Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College, but I have skipped it the past few years.  It is now geared toward presenting cheerleading groups, novelty acts and  some Broadway performers. They used to present numerous important ballet dancers and modern dance performances.  Different people in charge, I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):