93 replies to this topic

#31 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

the first cast of Rubies in JEWELS was McBride, Villella and Patricia (not Colleen) Neary.

soon thereafter if mem. serves Marnee Morris took on the role, then, eventually C. Neary.

#32 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I saw three performances of Jewels over the past few weeks and have a few random comments. 

I saw both Zachary Catazaro and Russell Janzen in their debuts in Diamonds: Catazaro with Sara Mearns and Janzen with Teresa Reichlen.

I thought Catazaro was a good partner and a good dancer and he certainly looks the handsome dancer. My issue with him is that he can be too casual in his manner, you can see the effort and even more, he appears as a regular person rather than a danseur noble. He doesn't always carry himself with the noble bearing, the impenetrable and unflappable stage demeanor that a ballet dancer should have. (See, for example, the brothers Angle who have this down to perfection.) 

Russell Janzen has a more noble and gracious air, but he looked a bit nervous and perhaps underprepared to me. The only other time I've seen him in any major role was in his debut as the Cavalier with Ashley Laracey in Nutcracker, and I thought he (both of them!) looked excellent then. Maybe just a few more rehearsals would help. 

Mearns, Reichlen, and Maria Kowroski (grand and totally at ease in her special connection with Tyler Angle) were all wonderful. I feel fortunate to be able to see all of them!

Ashley Laracey was absolutely lovely in the pas de trois of Emeralds. She so often grabs attention in soloist or demi-soloist roles (the second movement of Symphony in C comes to mind) that I think it's high time she move on to principal roles. I know I just said NYCB already has three wonderful interpreters of Diamonds, but maybe there's room for a fourth?

#33 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Jon Stafford used to partner Mearns in Diamonds.  I guess they need to train new people now that he is leaving. Chase Finlay would have been a fascinating choice, but I guess he is still injured since he has not been cast all season. 

#34 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

I didn't see Jewels (or New York City Ballet for that matter) until the early 1980s.  I don't think I saw Patricia Neary as the Tall Girl in Rubies, but I can't remember who I did see.  I didn't see Jacques D'Ambroise as the cavalier in Diamonds, I saw Peter Martins (who was wonderful).  Anyway, it's good to see that for the most part Jewels is looking very good after almost 50 years.

#35 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Masterpieces are timeless, so it's not surprising that Jewels, and most other Balanchine works, still look so good.

#36 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

among the dancers who performed the soloist woman in "Rubies," in addition to M. Morris, were Renee Estopinal and Karin Von Aroldingen and likely? Gloria Govrin, in Balanchine's day that is. many more has done the role since.

maybe Wilhemina Frankfurt...

#37 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Lauren Lovette made a spectacular debut in DAAG in the Apricot role last night.  She moved with dizzying abandon and perfect timing.  Ringer brought tears to my eyes as the girl in Pink.  She was luminous and gorgeous. She touches the soul in this role.  Joseph Gordon did Brick.  He is new to me, but he did an excellent job.  Lauren King also had a very fine debut in Blue.  Rebecca Krohn often looked mechanical in Mauve, and she didn't have much chemistry w. Ramasar in Green.  (Far superior were the earlier performances of Mearns and Adrain D-W in Mauve and Green a week ago.)I didn't stay for Union Jack. How was La Bouder in Wrens?

#38 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

the first cast of Rubies in JEWELS was McBride, Villella and Patricia (not Colleen) Neary.

soon thereafter if mem. serves Marnee Morris took on the role, then, eventually C. Neary.

Ah, thank you for the correction. I always have trouble keeping siblings straight.

#39 ivanov

ivanov

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

I was also at the Dances/Union Jack performance on Thursday.  I agree Jenifer Ringer was lovely!  It will be hard for me to see her go...  I have one question:  as I was brushing my teeth, I realized I had no memory of Maria (as the girl in green) dancing her solo.  Was this omitted?  Or am I losing my mind?  I enjoyed Bouder in Union Jack.  For a moment I did think "this is the shortest Wren I've ever seen" (for some reason this was not as striking in the R.C.A.F. section), but then forgot all about that--I could not take my eyes off her, even when there were scores of dancers on the stage.  BTW, I thought she may have left out the N in Queen, but my semaphore is hardly perfect, like Lady Sophia Garfield in Nancy Mitford's Pigeon Pie.

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Unless the roles are switched around -- Ringer spoke in a recent interview about Robbins having a ballerina do a solo that normally wasn't done by her "color" -- the Girl in Green doesn't come on until pretty late in the ballet. 

#41 Bella

Bella

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

I went to both performances on Saturday. I loved the "dark" program. Spectral and Acheron were terrific. Rebecca Krohn gave a spectacular performance.

#42 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

My recollection from this week's performance is that Maria K (green) did dance her solo in DAAG.

#43 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I was at the DAAG/Union Jack program on Thursday night. Lauren Lovette lights up the stage like the sun itself. The section of three men tossing the three women has stayed in my mind for days now, especially the final throw with Lovette spinning fearlessly in the air above Catazaro's head, then being caught securely and swooped so dramatically low. 

I was sitting at a distance from the stage and forgot my opera glasses -- this turned out to be a blessing since I was able to focus on overall patterns, rather than zeroing in on my favorite dancers. I should forget the opera glasses more often! However, I didn't get a very clear sense of Ashley Bouder, except to note that she and her regiments (both the Scottish section and WRENS) were totally out of sync with each other -- Bouder was way ahead of her group. The ensemble effect was ruined. 

Savannah Lowery doesn't bring enough force to MacDonald of Sleat -- nowhere near Sara Mearns. But, I liked her in the Royal Navy section, which seems to suit her sunny personality. 

#44 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

Jenifer Ringer's farewell performance 2/9/2014

Although I’ve been in the audience for at least half a dozen farewell performances, it’s always been by accident rather design. Final performances are not how I want to remember dancers I love. 

But I want to remember Jenifer Ringer exactly as she was yesterday as The Girl in Pink (Dances at a Gathering) and, especially, The Pearly Queen (Union Jack). She was the quintessence of herself — of what she was as a dancer — at its loveliest and most radiant. And she looked as if she could have kept dancing as beautifully forever had she chosen to.

#45 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yes, I agree.  Ringer was fanstastic.  Phillip Neal and Damian Woetzel returned to give her flowers and bid her farewell.  Fayette of course also gave her flowers.  (She did not bring her kids on stage.)  So many great memories of Ringer's performances, especially her Aurora and her work in various Robbins ballets.

Saw Anna Kisselgoff on the Promenade.  Let's hope she writes the review, and not AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):