This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wendy Whelan -- Into The Future

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Yes, these really are beautiful performances, sandik. I had tears in my eyes the first time that I watched them.

#17 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

I've seen a number of dancers in the duet from After the Rain (my home company does it) but it's always special to something performed by the person it was made on.

#18 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

From what I can tell, sandik, not only was After the Rain "made on" her, but she also did a lot of the 'making' as she probably did with the other works "made on" her by Christopher Wheeldon. For me, not only is it special to see "something performed by the person it was made on," but in Wendy Wheelan's case she's one of the very best in the world at this sort of thing. I once saw a brief video clip of a Kabuki actor and the soulful expression of his basic humanity was mind boggling. At times at the Mariinsky I've seen Alina Somova and Oksana Skorik perform with similar personal depth and beauty, but it's not exactly the heartfelt depth of Wendy Whelan, it's more transcendental.

[spelling correction made]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):