I was hoping for Tamm or Forster, too.  

#122 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I was hoping for Tamm or Forster, too.  

Same here. I hope they don't have to wait another 2-3 years for the next batch of promotions.

#123 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Ahhhh! How could I forgot Forster?!

#124 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Put me on the Forster bandwagon - tall, lovely line, good actor, easy to look at. Ecstatic for Zhurbin and thrilled for Gorak! And count me in for Part in the evening and Abrera in Giselle and SL.

#125 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Congrats to all the dancers--very good news. From the little I have seen of Tamm and Forster, i would be very happy to see both of them get more opportunities to dance featured roles  ...

#126 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

I'm definitely trying to see the positives of this large group of promotions, but I also just realized that this group of promotions only covers the expected departures for this year and next (4 soloists -- Kristi, Yuriko, Jared, and Sacha at the end of this year, 1 principal -- Paloma in 2015). One could argue also that Maria Ricetto and Simone Messmer's departures have yet to covered (Boylston covered one temporarily but with her promotion to principal, both of those roster spots are now "open" again)...these promotions are the "immediate fix," but it still doesn't help the company long term.

Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the current core of principals and soloists who carry the weight of the Met season are aging, and there will be a point when they won't be able to dance the full repertoire (we've already seen that this year...ABT is short of dancers who are available to cover all roles if there are injuries/medical issues).

I personally have always found it odd that the company doesn't have more soloists dancing principal roles throughout the season/or at least prepared to be scheduled when there are injuries. It causes a cycle of sub-par performances due to fatigue or lack of preparation coupled with the risk of injuring MORE dancers due to the increased workload (in this regard, Marcelo really has been a god the past few seasons...) Obviously, the company tried to cover the holes in the roster with regards of workload with the planned and scheduled guest artists, but at the same time, when so many of the performances/principal castings have at least 1-2 guests for each week of the Met season, those guest dancers who have other commitments are also not available at short notice to cover roles as they aren't based in NYC...

It will be interesting to see if the company makes a move to have soloists (and perhaps even corps) dancers occupy principal roles during the Met season. That being said, if that move is made, it will be long overdue. ABT has lost several solid and good soloists who should have long ago gotten these chances as they were more than deserving. (Joseph, Yuriko, Jared, Simone, and one could argue Maria. With Sascha, I feel like he still has a few good years left, but he also sought out Flesh & Bone as a reason to push up his retirement from ABT because of his lack of opportunity within the company -- that's SIX quality dancers, who other companies have snapped up in under two years!!!) To be completely honest, those individuals' talents were often ignored and taken for granted in the last 5-7 years, and the stubbornness (and dare I say, snobbiness) of the company to insist on casting "stars" rather than their own talent has now become a detriment on an even larger scale. Hopefully, this year's roster movement in the soloist rank has been a wake-up call, and we'll start/continue seeing changes and progress in the artistic direction of "America's national ballet company" for the betterment and benefit of the dancers and fans alike.

#127 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

My published online comment in response to the announcement of Isabella Boylston's promotion to Principal Dancer           "It is mind-boggling to me that Isabella Boylston has been promoted to principal dancer above Stella Abrera! I've seen it coming because Ms. Boylston has been given the opportunity to dance principal roles. However, Ms. Abrera is a far better dancer, more classical, more lyrical, more graceful, more arresting on stage, and it is a great injustice that she hasn't been given the same opportunities as Ms. Boylston. What this means is that Ms. Boylston is going to be cast in roles that I, and many others, have waited for years to see Ms. Abrera perform. This may be enough for me to cancel my patron level membership as well as my ABT subscriptions. The last straw is that Jared Matthews and Yuriko Kajiya are leaving ABT because of lack of promotion. I saw Ms. Kajiya in the dress rehearsal of The Tempest today and she was magnificent. The Board of Trustees should be on its hands and knees begging them both to stay."
  • As for another technically competent dancer to dance the entire repertoire, there is always Semionova.

#128 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Everyone knew Boylston's promotion was on the horizon. Personally, I'm not a fan. Her stiff port de bras bothers me, as well as her scraggly fingers. I also don't find her dancing graceful nor her acting having any depth. But the AD McKenzie and professional ballet reviewers see something in her that I don't. I am also sad that Abrera wasn't afforded the same oppurtunities. I feel like she should have been poised to be the next principal. She is already a principal in my opinion, just stuck for whatever reason dancing soloist parts. But alas...

Congratulations to the dancers. Shevchenko's promotion comes as a bit of surprise for me, but she is a lovely, graceful dancer. I hope these new soloists aren't stuck in these positions for years to come, not developed, and passed over for guest artists like the soloist whom have left us and are leaving us. Highly unlikely but one can only hope.

#129 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Sterling Baca replaced Forster in Gomes' After effect at the KC this spring.   Baca was fantastic.

#130 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I did not see After Effect, but I agree that Baca is fantastic.

#131 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Do not post any news about dancers (or rep or any other ballet-related issue) until the news comes from an official source.  This is not new.

#132 dancemom101

dancemom101

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

According to Rosalie O'Connor's Facebook posts, it looks as if Kristi Boone Stappas and Kelly Boyd are leaving ABT, and Nicola Curry is leaving for the Australian Ballet,

#133 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I checked Kristi Boone Stappas' public Facebook page.  The cover photo shows that she and Isaac Stappas recently welcomed into the family a new daughter - less than six months old.  So Kristi has been on maternity leave which would explain her non-appearance for the entire Spring/Summer Met season.  Kristi and Isaac also have a ballet studio where they teach:  http://www.kristiboone.com/biography/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):