92 replies to this topic

#16 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Volcanohunter wrote:

The Cranko estate makes the Balanchine Trust look downright lenient.

That's putting it mildly laugh.png!   Congratulations to all the cast members - especially Olga Smirnova and Evgenia Obraztsova!  Personally, given all the drama this year, I thought that these two might not be apart of the inaugural slate of performances; so this is a very pleasant surprise to me.  Zakharova will get two performances of Tatiana, as will Obraztsova and Smirnova. 

#17 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Do the Cranko stagers really have so much power that they can dictate who dances on which night?  Seems like unwelcome micromanagement.

Yes, they do. I had heard some stories about how picky & dictatorial they were, when they worked with the National Ballet of China on Onegin. Then, I have been wondering how they will behave, if they meet Russian, Bolshoi. biggrin.png

I was amazed, when I saw there is no Mercuriev as Lensky on the casting list. IMO, he is a dancing poet, very unique.

BTW, in the latest YouTube video of A ticket to Bolshoi (June 2013), there are some historical and rehearsal scenes of Cranko visiting Ulanova, Bolshoi, selecting dancers for Onegin, and etc., from 30:55.

#18 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Zakharova is out after all. Casts have been shuffled around right, left and center. Obraztsova will dance two performances with Volchkov and the final one with Hallberg.

The Bolshoi has admitted that Zakharova has walked out. For now she isn't saying anything, and her coach Lyudmila Semenyaka is refusing to comment.
http://izvestia.ru/news/553027

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

July 12, 18: Smirnova / Lantratov / Tikhomirova / Chudin

July 13, 16: Obraztsova / Volchkov / Stashkevich / Gudanov

July 14, 17: Kaptsova / Skvortsov / Kretova / Ovcharenko

July 19: Vishneva / Gomes / Kretova / Ovcharenko

July 20: Amatriain / McKie / Osadcenko / Vogel

July 21: Obraztsova / Hallberg / Khokhlova / Alexeyev

#20 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

This is just killing me.  I've waited all year in the hopes of seeing Hallberg in Moscow, and I have tickets for the 17th and 20th - such joy! Only to have it dashed away.  

Sigh.  At least Ovcharenko is still on for the 17th.

#21 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

This is just killing me.  I've waited all year in the hopes of seeing Hallberg in Moscow, and I have tickets for the 17th and 20th - such joy! Only to have it dashed away.  

Amatriain / McKie / Osadcenko / Vogel on the 20th are not to be sneezed at, I assure you.

#22 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Amatriain / McKie / Osadcenko / Vogel on the 20th are not to be sneezed at, I assure you.

I know!  I didn't mean to dis the Stuttgart soloists.  I'm very much looking forward to them - it will be my first time seeing Stuttgart dancers live, and since I assume they're on a specific contract for that evening, at least they can't take that away from me.

#23 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Major cast shuffling among principals, long after most people have bought tickets, seems to be the norm for the Bolshoi. At least that was my experience when they visited Orange County in spring 2010. I guess it's a warning to be prepared for this during their visit to New York in July 2014?  Can Bolshoi experts let us know if this impression is correct? Or is this just a fluke.

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Tickets for the 21st are still available.

#25 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Major cast shuffling among principals, long after most people have bought tickets, seems to be the norm for the Bolshoi. At least that was my experience when they visited Orange County in spring 2010. I guess it's a warning to be prepared for this during their visit to New York in July 2014?  Can Bolshoi experts let us know if this impression is correct? Or is this just a fluke.

I am not a Bolshoi expert but, in my experience, yes...it is correct.

#26 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Tickets for the 21st are still available.

I am considering it, but even buying third balcony seats pushes my student budget to the limit (and beyond).  The only seats available now are all 6300 or 7000 R.  

#27 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Strange, I wonder why Zakharova opted out.

I hope videos surface of these performances! I wish all the dancers the best, and for audiences to see great performances. smile.png

I would consider myself very lucky to see any of those dancers live... perhaps some day!

#28 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

If Izvestia's anonymous source is to be believed, if the casting "had been in the decision of the stagers, the ballerina, 'known for her respectful attitude toward colleagues,' would have agreed with it. However, according to the publication's source, the ballerina believes that artistic interests in this case were not primary, and the stagers gave in to pressure from the ballet company's leadership, which wished to see in the first cast other dancers, 'who are currently being promoted especially actively.'" The press office of the Stuttgart Ballet insists that the casting decisions were made by Reid Anderson, though apparently he had not yet arrived in Moscow at the time they were announced.

#29 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

If Zakharova dropped out because she was angry she didn't get first cast, then she is clearly a very petty individual.

#30 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

Obraztsova had 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):