This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fall Season at the Koch

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just in time for the end of Britten Year!  I personally am excited about the prospect of hearing the Britten version of Les Sylphides, but I can hardly imagine that even hard-core Britten fans would be that interested in a newly rediscovered arrangement of his.  Unless it's a really spectacular arrangement.  Or they already like ballet (like me).

#32 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

I am trying to decide what to see this Fall.  I would like to see "Tempest" and "Sylphides."  I have seen "Moor's Pavane" many times recently and can skip it.  Does anyone have information on the other pieces to assist in choosing tickets? 

#33 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Theme & Variations is a masterpiece.  City Ballet does it often, but if you've never seen it  you should consider it.

#34 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Theme & Variations is a masterpiece.  City Ballet does it often, but if you've never seen it  you should consider it.

I saw NYCB perform it on a slippery day, from the Fourth Ring.  

#35 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Looks like there are new costumes for Theme and Variations. ABT also posted the costumes for The Tempest:

http://www.abt.org/g...?Gallery_ID=151

#36 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

The TBA slot for the Nov. 1 Les Sylphides has been filled by Tom Forster.  Good for him.

#37 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

And November 6's performance of LS has been filled by Joseph Gorak. Both great news! (I'll be going on 11/6 so really looking forward to it!)

#38 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

The TBA slot for the Nov. 1 Les Sylphides has been filled by Tom Forster.  Good for him.

So happy for the news that Forster and Gorak get this opportunity!

#39 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Opening Night Gala info:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S OPENING NIGHT FALL GALA

AT DAVID H. KOCH THEATER TO FEATURE WORLD PREMIERE OF

THE TEMPEST BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY, WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30 AT 6:30PM

CLINIQUE AND BADGLEY MISCHKA TO SERVE AS GALA SPONSORS

American Ballet Theatre celebrates the opening of its Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center on Wednesday evening, October 30 at 6:30PM with a special opening night Gala performance highlighted by the World Premiere of The Tempest, choreographed by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky. 

Clinique is the Leading Sponsor of American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Fall Gala.   Badgley Mischka is the evening’s Supporting Sponsor. 

Julia Koch, Sutton Stracke and Caryn Zucker will serve as Co-Chairs for the 2013 Fall Gala.  Vice Chairs include Mark Badgley, Leah Mary Campbell, James Mischka and Victoria Phillips.  Daniel Cappello, Jennie Tarr Coyne and Asha Talwar will serve as Junior Chairs for the evening.   A black tie dinner and dancing on The Promenade will immediately follow the performance.  Business leader and philanthropist Adrienne Arsht will be honored with the 2013 Melville Straus Leadership Achievement Award.   The World Premiere of The Tempest will provide the evening’s thematic inspiration with The Promenade transformed to evoke the story’s title storm-at-sea.  Gala décor will be created by noted designer Bronson van Wyck of the environmental design and event production firm Van Wyck & Van Wyck.

American Ballet Theatre’s inaugural season at the David H. Koch Theater marks the Company’s first return to the venue since 1976.  The season will open with a one-time-only Gala performance highlighted by the World Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s The Tempest led by Marcelo Gomes as Prospero, Daniil Simkin as Ariel, and Herman Cornejo as Caliban.  The evening will also feature a new production of

George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations led by Gillian Murphy and James Whiteside and a Pièce d’Occasion choreographed by ABT Principal Dancer Marcelo Gomes and set to Souvenir de Florence by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky. 

Gala benefit tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s Fall Gala at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, ranging from $1,500 to $5,000, are available by calling American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3310.  Performance-only tickets, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Koch Theater box office or by calling 212-496-0600.  For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

#40 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Here's a link to an article on Ratmansky's Tempest.  Lovely photo of Gorak and Lane, too.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

#41 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hooray!

#42 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Guillaume Cote just tweeted a photo with Julie Kent, because they'll dance "A Month in the Country" together:

https://twitter.com/...955122973110272

#43 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

For anyone interested, the Playbill from last night also listed the casting for Fri Nov 1.  The lead cast for Gong on Nov 1 is Abrera, Butler, Copeland, Murphy, Reyes. Cornejo, Gomes, Radetsky, Scott and Whiteside.   All other lead casting for the other ballets on the program to be found on the ABT website.

Does anyone know why Hallberg is listed as a principal for the ABT fall season in the playbill, even though he is not appearing with ABT anywhere until June 2014?  (None of the other missing principals, like Vishneva, Vasiliev, Bolle are listed in the playbill.)

Also, was it my imagination or did Whiteside substitute some pirouettes where there should have been a double tour?

#44 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

For anyone interested, the Playbill from last night also listed the casting for Fri Nov 1.  The lead cast for Gong on Nov 1 is Abrera, Butler, Copeland, Murphy, Reyes. Cornejo, Gomes, Radetsky, Scott and Whiteside.   All other lead casting for the other ballets on the program to be found on the ABT website.

Does anyone know why Hallberg is listed as a principal for the ABT fall season in the playbill, even though he is not appearing with ABT anywhere until June 2014?  (None of the other missing principals, like Vishneva, Vasiliev, Bolle are listed in the playbill.)

Also, was it my imagination or did Whiteside substitute some pirouettes where there should have been a double tour?

Couldn't say about Whiteside, but apropos Hallberg: As a copyeditor, I notice mistakes in programs all the time. This could have been one, but on the other hand, it may reflect what's in Hallberg's contract. I recall something similar last fall, when Gillian was listed as a principal, but did not appear during the City Center season.

#45 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've created a new topic for the ABT Gala and moved the posts from this thread to the new one:

http://balletalert.i...ing-night-gala/

Please continue to discuss casting and Fall season details here, gala reports and comments above, and the 10-day mixed rep programs here:

http://balletalert.i...p-performances/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):