• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Heads up everyone. Leslie Stahl (who happens to be on the NYCB Board) will profile the NYCB on this Sunday's 60 Minutes. Stahl also follows Robbie Fairchild's debut in Apollo at NYCB. Be careful about the timing if you are recording the program. Sunday Night Football always seems to run late. A teaser can be found on the 60 Minutes offical webpage.

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Heads up everyone. Leslie Stahl (who happens to be on the NYCB Board) will profile the NYCB on this Sunday's 60 Minutes. Stahl also follows Robbie Fairchild's debut in Apollo at NYCB. Be careful about the timing if you are recording the program. Sunday Night Football always seems to run late. A teaser can be found on the 60 Minutes offical webpage.

The preview clip is here: http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50135558n

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm a little surprised this info has not been posted on the NYCB home page or twitter page.

#4 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'm a little surprised this info has not been posted on the NYCB home page or twitter page.

Surprising, yes, especially the absence of a notice on Twitter.

I first heard about this from a Google-alert I have to "New York City Ballet," which sent me to the CBS site. For companies of special interest, it's worth setting up the Google-alert along with Twitter, so you don't miss anythinng.

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yes, the Google alert worked well to provide this info.

#6 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

NYCB finally sent this out on Twitter this morning. (Perhaps somebody is reading this board?)

This Sunday CBS's @60Minutes goes behind the scenes at NYCB (7 p.m. ET/PT). Here's an sneak peek: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50135558n …

#7 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

The clip emphasizes throughout the effort dancers put into dance, a common theme I've noticed in dance promotion. Why do they do that? This seems to me to set people up for what they're not going to see: If the dancers are any good at all, it looks easy. If it looks hard, something's amiss. Anybody think they've got a piece of the explanation?

#8 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

The clip emphasizes throughout the effort dancers put into dance, a common theme I've noticed in dance promotion. Why do they do that? This seems to me to set people up for what they're not going to see: If the dancers are any good at all, it looks easy. If it looks hard, something's amiss. Anybody think they've got a piece of the explanation?

This behind-the-scenes emphasis on hard work goes back a long way. Think of the rehearsal and company class scenes in The Turning Point and Dancers. But I've always thought that was a good thing, as it shows Americans (especially American boys) how athletic and strenuous ballet is. Not something for sissies!

#9 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

This behind-the-scenes emphasis on hard work goes back a long way. Think of the rehearsal and company class scenes in The Turning Point and Dancers. But I've always thought that was a good thing, as it shows Americans (especially American boys) how athletic and strenuous ballet is. Not something for sissies!

I agree, California. If anything, it makes it even more amazing to see how effortless they make it look. Something like 60 minutes has such a vast audience of non-balletomanes, who just don't realize what goes into it and indeed think it's something for sissies. Heck, I've seen a lot of ballet (including Apollo many times) and had no idea Apollo was collapsed in the wings!

#10 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I've never understood why people say they are surprised that dance is hard work. Getting up out of my chair requires effort. Running down the block requires stamina, strength, and energy. Ballet dancers make movement look beautiful, sometimes airy, and often meaningful, but do not convey a lack of physical and other types of preparation.

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think Stahl was looking for an honest, behind the scenes look at how much hard work goes into being a ballet dancer. Yes, it is amazing that Fairchild looked so fresh and energized on stage, but was panting for air as soon as he left the stage. I wonder if Fairchild ever contemplated that the footage of him sprawled out on the floor gasping for breath would end up on national television and the internet.

#12 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

This behind-the-scenes emphasis on hard work goes back a long way. ... But I've always thought that was a good thing, as it shows Americans (especially American boys) how athletic and strenuous ballet is. Not something for sissies!

Not something for "sissies" to do, for sure. So, the purpose of this kind of publicity is to recruit dancers who aren't afraid of great effort? And not to recruit spectators who enjoy the magical ease and apparent lightness of good ballet performance?

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Although 60 Minutes is a highly rated show I'm not sure that this segment would necessarily translate into any additional customers for NYCB. I think appearances by ballet dancers on shows like Dancing with the Stars and other programs of that ilk are more likely reach potential new audiences for ballet. Nevertheless, any publicity is good publicity. I hope it is not primarily a puffery piece about Peter Martins, and his great stewardship skills, by his NYCB Board member pal..

#14 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here's the link for those who a) missed it or b) have the Grey Cup (or some other sports thing) over top of it: http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50135740n

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

On the whole, I thought it was a pretty balanced piece. I'm glad Stahl disclosed her relationship w. the company at the outset. Also, she quoted some of Martins' critics re his choreography, so it wasn't just a fluff piece that stroked his ego. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):