This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PBS Documentary: "Steven Caras: See Them Dance"

A notice from the Henry Kravis Center for the Performing Arts:

Kravis Center for the Performing Arts To Host World Premiere of STEVEN CARAS: SEE THEM DANCE February 24, 2011

Documentary About Ballet Dancer/Photographer Will Begin Airing on Public TV Stations in March

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Kravis Center for the Performing Arts will host the world premiere of the new public TV documentary STEVEN CARAS: SEE THEM DANCE on February 24. . . the film concerns the life and work of Mr. Caras, a former New York City Ballet dancer, who transformed his career to become one of the world's most renowned dance photographers.

It is directed by Deborah Novak, and talks about the 1950s,

when men did not readily pursue a career in ballet without escaping unscathed. In spite of the bullying he endured, Caras persevered, receiving full scholarships to the Joffrey School and the School of American Ballet in New York City. At 18, with only three years of training, he was personally invited by the legendary choreographer George Balanchine* to join his company, the New York City Ballet.

Even while still dancing Steven began a second career as a photographer, and much of that career is shown in the film.

Lucky Floridians:

Both director Novak and Terry Teachout, Wall Street Journal drama critic and author of All in the Dances: A Brief Life of George Balanchine, will engage in a conversation with Mr. Caras onstage at the Kravis Center's world premiere of the documentary on February 24.

I'll be there! :thumbsup:

There will also be a screening at the NY Public Library at Lincoln Center, with Caras being interviewed by Jennifer Homans (author of the recently published Apollo's Angel's). Date is March 7. This is, unfortunately, by invitation only. The Kravis screening, on the other hand, is open to the public.

the attached scan shows a matted, signed, Caras photo of Allegra Kent and Mikhail Baryshnikov in LA SONNAMBULA. it's dated 1979 and likely documents one of the last performances Baryshnikov gave with NYCB when he was in the company. Soon after this time, he left to assume the directorship of America Ballet Theatre.

(the cropping would seem to be Caras's own.)

post-848-084701300 1298061749_thumb.jpg

. . . it's dated 1979 and likely documents one of the last performances Baryshnikov gave with NYCB when he was in the company. Soon after this time, he left to assume the directorship of America Ballet Theatre.

Baryshnikov was scheduled to dance in Dances at a Gathering on Tuesday, October 9, 1979, at the Kennedy Center, the start of the second week of a two-week run of NYCB at the Center. I can still remember the utter dismay in the audience when the announcer came on to say he would be unable to perform due to an injury. My memory after all this time is that he never performed again with NYCB, but perhaps other old-timers remember this better than me. I know he never performed again at the Kennedy Center with NYCB. I did see him do Coppelia that Saturday, October 6 with Patty McBride at the matinee, but I've never been sure if that was his last performance with NYCB or if he did a few more after that. Anybody know?

His next performance at the Kennedy Center was in December 1980 as director of ABT. (Opening night was when he fired Gelsy Kirkland and Patrick Bissell.) But I don't know exactly when he officially started as director of ABT, or when he resumed dancing.

A story on the documentary in The Palm Beach Daily News. Looks very interesting.

“I’ve always been disappointed when I see movies about ballet,” she said. “I didn’t think they told what it was like to be performing on stage day after day. Steve was a hard-working member of the corps. He would do eight shows a week and sometimes be in three or four ballets a night.”

Of course, Caras wasn’t performing with just anyone. His colleagues included dance greats such as Patricia McBride, Gelsey Kirkland, Allegra Kent, Kay Mazzo, Jacques d’Amboise and Peter Martins, several of whom appear in the film.

Agree completely with vrsfanatic.

It's a remarkable story, remarkably told by the director and illustrated with Caras's photos, video footage including Balanchine teaching class at SAB, and commentary by dancers and others who were part of the NYCB world from the late 60s through the early 80s.

The film is "about" Caras's quest to dance ballet, but turns gradually into a moving tribute to the art of ballet itself and especially to George Balanchine, who played a kind of Fairy Godfather role in Caras's life.

Everyone at the screening got a copy of the dvd, which includes other material that had to be edited out. We were told that Arizona PBS would make the program available (free of charge, I think) to other public television stations. So now is probably the time to start lobbying to my own two local stations to get on board. Teachout, during the post-screening discussion, mentioned that this kind of film might be seen as an antidote to the view of ballet presented by The Black Swan. But only if people get to see it all over the country.

Here's the press release about the pbs tv premiere in a couple of weeks:

"STEVEN CARAS: SEE THEM DANCE"

WORLD BROADCAST PREMIERE

MARCH 9 AT 8 PM

EIGHT, ARIZONA PBS

Produced in conjunction with Eight, Arizona PBS and directed by Emmy Award winner, Deborah Novak, this compelling documentary looks at the life and artistry of America's leading dance photographer. It's the true story of the New York City Ballet's youngest male dancer who went on to become its ultimate image-maker under the tutelage of legendary choreographer, George Balanchine™. Steven Caras: See Them Dance premieres Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 8 p.m. on Eight.

Accompanying Caras's honest and eloquent narrative are interviews with towering figures from the world of dance — Jacques d'Amboise, Patricia McBride, Peter Martins, Mia Michaels, Kay Mazzo, Sean Lavery, Allegra Kent, and many others.

Steven Caras's critically acclaimed photo archive is one of the most important dance image collections of all time. How it came to be is a chronicle of the birth and rebirth of the artistic spirit, and of the physical and emotional hurdles all professional dancers face.

There are two more Palm Beach articles on the documentary. This one, from Palm Beach Pulse is the best, in my opinion, and another one from the South Florida Gay News.

Someone mentioned that he ought to publish a book. In fact, he did, in 1985, a memoir of Balanchine and the NYCB. I also recall a book of photos only of Peter Martins, but since Martins contributed to the 1985 book, I may be confused.

Sorry for the duplicate posting.... and yes, Steven did publish a 2nd book of photos of Martins.

Edited by ViolinConcerto

There are two more Palm Beach articles on the documentary. This one, from Palm Beach Pulse is the best, in my opinion, and another one from the South Florida Gay News.

Someone mentioned that he ought to publish a book. In fact, he did, in 1985, a memoir of Balanchine and the NYCB. I also recall a book of photos only of Peter Martins, but since Martins contributed to the 1985 book, I may be confused.

For the record, the Palm Beach Pulse link posted above by Violin Concerto was originally published in the Palm Beach Post, the mass-market newspaper down here. It was a three-page spread with photos. I don't recall the Post devoting so much space to a figure in the performing arts.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to give you an update on our film, STEVEN CARAS: SEE THEM DANCE.

Thusfar, the response to the film has been thrilling. People are walking away inspired by Steve's courage to persevere, follow his dancing dream, and fulfill it regardless of the obstacles--so we're realizing that the film's appeal is not only for those who love dance and the arts, but extends far beyond these parameters.

We're presently working on the schedule for upcoming airings across the country. The next is on WXEL (PBS in Florida) on February 20th, 2012 at 9:00 p.m.

The executive producer created a short coming attraction and posted it on YouTube through Steve's web designer. We're hoping to continue spreading the word about the film, and wonder if you might consider clicking on the link, "liking it," or even posting a comment.

The link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCw8ZKbAUlY

Thank you.

Oddly, the link takesbme to some sort of Microsoft sign in page... Maybe it is just an iPad issue at my end. Will search on Youtube for Steven Caras...

If you copy the link and paste it into your URL bar, it won't do that.

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so am writing a note here. A friend in Kentucky sent me an email that a documentary on reknowned dance photographer Steven Caras was 'making the rounds' of PBS stations in her area, as one or both of the film's producers are from KY or WVa. Several NYCB dancers are interviewed. The film premiered on Arizona PBS a year ago, was shown last night on Wva PBS and may be shown on other PBS stations in the coming days. (Check your local PBS affiliates for possible airing of the film.)

Link/description: http://www.wvpubcast...e.aspx?id=24951

STEVEN CARAS: SEE THEM DANCE is being distributed nationally by PBS. Each individual station will decide when to air the broadcast. As of today (6/12/13), here is the list of stations who have set actual air dates:

New Hampshire PTV - Statewide New Hampshire - June 22, 2013 at 8:00 p.m.

Kentucky Educational Television - KET - Statewide Kentucky - Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.

Oregon Public Broadcasting - Statewide Oregon - Monday, July 1, 2013 at 8:00 p.m. and Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 5:00 a.m.

KQED - San Francisco, CA - Monday, July 22 at 7:00 p.m. and Tuesday, July 23 at 1:00 a.m.

Hope everyone in these viewing areas will be able to see our Emmy winning documentary.

Thanks.