This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ranking the Sleeping Beauty productions (top 5, Bottom 5)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

3. Dame Ninette de Valois/David Walker 1977 production for the Royal Ballet - the perfect frame for a STELLER generation of dancers at Covent Garden.

as an aside, the sets and costumes for this production by david walker were later acquired by the boston ballet in 1993 and the refurbishing thereof personally supervised by david walker.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

The new ABT production of 'Sleeping Beauty' is stirring up lots of talk and emotion about this, the most classical of Petipa ballets.

1. THE WORST - ABT 2007 - it just doesn't get any lower than this. Simply read my post on the SB review thread.

For the unbearable, ABT's new version comes first

...and that's going to be my first approach to live "Beauty"...my very first... :)
I was so excited with the ABT production coming over Miami, and now, after reading this posts, the magic is gone . Please...can somebody cheer me up...any good comments...?

#18 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

The new ABT production of 'Sleeping Beauty' is stirring up lots of talk and emotion about this, the most classical of Petipa ballets.

1. THE WORST - ABT 2007 - it just doesn't get any lower than this. Simply read my post on the SB review thread.

For the unbearable, ABT's new version comes first

...and that's going to be my first approach to live "Beauty"...my very first... :)
I was so excited with the ABT production coming over Miami, and now, after reading this posts, the magic is gone . Please...can somebody cheer me up...any good comments...?

Cristian - Cheer up, it's not that bad! It's overdone in every imaginable way - too much story, cartoonish costumes etc but the Petipa core is still there & still beautiful. They also have some really wonderful dancers in all the roles - right down to the last fairy. It's most dissapointing to those of us who see ABT all the time because they blew the chance to give us a really great production. The bottom line is that if the RB or Kirov were in town with their versions I'd choose theirs over ABT's in a heartbeat but I will gladly go see this every season rather than go a season without seeing a Sleeping Beauty.

I understand that they've already made substantail revisions since the premiere, so I look forward to hearing your reaction!

Susan

#19 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

I'd be less kind than nysusan to the production :) but I think her assessment is right. Go and watch the dancers and try to gloss over the production itself.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Cristian - Cheer up, it's not that bad! Petipa core is still there & still beautiful.

I'm sooo relieved to read that...Thank you so much, Susan, for the encouragment!...

They also have some really wonderful dancers in all the roles - right down to the last fairy.

Looking forward to see Murphy/Corella and Kent/Carreno..!.Do you think it'll happen...? :)

#21 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Cristian - Cheer up, it's not that bad! Petipa core is still there & still beautiful.

I'm sooo relieved to read that...Thank you so much, Susan, for the encouragment!...

They also have some really wonderful dancers in all the roles - right down to the last fairy.

Looking forward to see Murphy/Corella and Kent/Carreno..!.Do you think it'll happen...? :blushing:

Anything with Kent/Corella (i.e Swan Lake or Le Coursaire) run to the box office, do not walk and get your tix.

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

Looking forward to see Murphy/Corella and Kent/Carreno..!.Do you think it'll happen...? :dry:

Anything with Kent/Corella (i.e Swan Lake or Le Coursaire) run to the box office, do not walk and get your tix.

I know!...I saw them all when they came over with their SL, and i specially remember the Kent/Carreno night...it was magical, and i'm praying to see her Aurora...I know that Murphy is the dazzling all favorite, but for some reason, Kent really got me into the lake that night... :blushing:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):