This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who's who in Dances at a Gathering?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Clara 76

Clara 76

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

Oh, does anyone remember the Trocks version -- or is this "Yes, Virginia, Another Piano Ballet?" -- with the Girl with the Slight Tilt to the Left and, I think, the Girl with the Green Dress and the Gray Overlay, or something of that sort.

Alexandra,

I think I saw that not too long ago on Ovation-it was part of a program where they also did their 'Dying Swan', among others.

It was hysterical!

If I see that it's on again, I'll let everyone know.

Clara :P

#17 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:52 PM

My friends and I call that moment  -- no matter who's  dancing -- as "throwing Sally into the pit."  :rolleyes:

In Yes, Virginia, don't they throw her into the piano? :P

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:50 AM

Just a question: why the "Yes, Virginia" in the title?

#19 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:20 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, everybody! :P but i think it's a reference to an unrelated, but famous, letter to a newspaper editor in the late 1800s, when a little girl wrote to the newspaper asking if there really was a santa claus. the editor who responded began by saying "yes, Virginia (her name), there is a santa claus."

#20 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:38 AM

Yes, Mme. Hermine, there was such an event. :P Except that the "Yes, Virginia," part closed the editorial. And using "Yes, Viriginia," in the ballet's title almost puts the word "Another" into an echo chamber, as if the question "Another piano ballet?" is asked all the time. The title is as clever as some of the dancing.

I saw Yes, Virginia waaaaaay back in the good ol' days, during the annual dance festival at the Delacorte. I don't remember Ari's moment of the "girl" being thrown into the piano, but it certainly sounds right.

#21 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone remember what color Suzanne wore in Dances at a Gathering? I'm ashamed to say I don't, even though I know she performed in it in 1977 and perhaps beyond.

#22 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:51 AM

Pink. But now that you ask, I'm having a lot of fun imagining her in Apricot's "finger" pdd, or Green's "Chatterbox." Thanks, FF, for sparking that!

#23 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation about the "Yes, Virginia". :-) Actually I saw only one part of that ballet, on TV (I caught it by chance) and found it very funny (even though it would probably have been funnier if I had seen "Dances at a gathering" more than twice!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):