This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2024-2025 Dancer Roster

Along with the email I received regarding the 24-25 Rep Season, there was also a list of the dancer roster for next year.

First, the bad news:  Angelo Greco is leaving for Houston Ballet.  His name was not on the roster, and Houston Ballet has posted to their IG:  https://www.instagram.com/p/C51OY02sJHD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

There are other surprises, but do not want to post anything that cannot be verified (thus violating guidelines).  As I find social media posts or any press release to confirm promotions or dancers coming/going, I am only going to share the news about Angelo.  Apologies in advance.

Posted (edited)

Here is the FB post regarding the roster:  (5) In addition to our exciting 24/25 Season... - San Francisco Ballet | Facebook

The big news:  Principal Dancers Max Cauthorn & Dores Andre are returning!!

Also, promotions: 

• Kamryn Baldwin, Carmela Mayo, and Joshua Jack Price are promoted to Soloist.
  • Apprentices Sofia Albers, Jacey Galliard, and Dylan Pierzina are promoted to the Corps De Ballet

New dancers:

Edited by sf_herminator
added bio links

Got the press release in the email and, wow, lots of new names. No surprise that the composition of the roster is evolving, with Rojo at the helm. I suspect we'll see familiar names dropped from the roster as well. I'm shocked, but pleased, to see that Dores Andre and Max Cauthorn will be returning (especially in the light of Angelo Greco's departure).

Here is the link to the official roster: https://www.sfballet.org/app/uploads/2024/04/2024-25-Company-Roster_April-15.pdf

Big shout-out of congrats to Kamryn Baldwin, Carmela Mayo, and Joshua Jack Price for their promotions to soloist!

I posted in the other thread, but I'm both shocked and pleased that Dores and Max are back!  Off the top of my head, there's quite a few pieces next season that they'll look great in.  And I believe Max originated the title role in Frankenstein, so it'll be nice to have some of the original dancers in it.

Angelo leaving feels to me like he's going down "to the minors" to deal with injury rehab issues. [Sorry to sound like I'm dissing Houston Ballet] But there's something going on there. Houston is one of the companies that SFB has had a close relationship with in the past. Joe Walsh and Lauren Strongin danced there.

Great to hear that Cauthorn and Andre are returning.

Edited by pherank
10 hours ago, pherank said:

Angelo leaving feels to me like he's going down "to the minors" to deal with injury rehab issues. [Sorry to sound like I'm dissing Houston Ballet] But there's something going on there. Houston is one of the companies that SFB has had a close relationship with in the past. Joe Walsh and Lauren Strongin danced there.

Great to hear that Cauthorn and Andre are returning.

Houston will give Angelo more opportunities to dance. With Hernandez brothers getting top billing and Rojo bringing in soloists from ENB, I am sure he felt it would be a better career move. Houston is a wonderful company with very talented dancers. 

21 hours ago, sf_herminator said:

Thank you for providing the links to the new soloists moving from ENB to SFB.   They have both performed principal roles and Victor Prigent was a trainee with SFB in 2015/2016. 

23 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

Surprised Angelo is leaving,  but I can imagine it can't be easy with I. Hernandez getting top billing so often. 

The director's husband is featured disproportionately in photographs by SFB online (there's a new one from Mere Mortals that I could not believe had been chosen) and on Facebook, and, if you add the director's brother-in-law, it's even more disproportionate in comparison with the other male principals.  And I. Hernandez is dancing Swan Lake with Osipova.  

Houston Ballet is performing  The Sleeping Beauty, Raymonda, and Theme and Variations next season - all perfect for Angelo Greco.  He will be missed in SF and has a devoted following there.  I especially loved him in Rhoden's Let's Begin at the End and Robbins's Other Dances, both of which he was paired with Frances Chung. 

3 hours ago, Josette said:

The director's husband is featured disproportionately in photographs by SFB online (there's a new one from Mere Mortals that I could not believe had been chosen) and on Facebook, and, if you add the director's brother-in-law, it's even more disproportionate in comparison with the other male principals.  And I. Hernandez is dancing Swan Lake with Osipova.  

Houston Ballet is performing  The Sleeping Beauty, Raymonda, and Theme and Variations next season - all perfect for Angelo Greco.  He will be missed in SF and has a devoted following there.  I especially loved him in Rhoden's Let's Begin at the End and Robbins's Other Dances, both of which he was paired with Frances Chung. 

And Kuranaga will obviously miss dancing with him. The fact that Greco has spent the better part of a year not dancing, has made a difference. Rojo is free to bring in "her own people" at this point, especially with various dancers leaving the company. It's not a wonder that dancers get depressed and worried when they are sidelined for a season. It's a little different when you've danced for the A.D. for a number of years, but with a new A.D., they're looking to be impressed by the dancers right now - Etonne-moi! Rojo is used to Isaac Hernandez being her "star" to parade around. The mistake here is, San Francisco has done well without these "stars" for decades. The audience is less gullible in that respect.

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, Helene said:

SFB has had great dancers non-stop for decades, an embarassment of riches.

Like PNB, the SFB audience has enjoyed watching young dancers come from the school and work their way up in the ranks.

8 hours ago, Josette said:

The director's husband is featured disproportionately in photographs by SFB online (there's a new one from Mere Mortals that I could not believe had been chosen)

Not to start a dogpile on SFB marketing choices, but I know the exact photograph you're referencing, and I had a similar head-scratching response to that.

SFB truly has had an embarrassment of riches at least since the 10-12 years I've been following them closely.  I don't mean to speculate too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if other dancers feel disheartened when one gets significantly better billing than the rest.

More logistically speaking about Angelo Greco's leaving - it seems a shame to me that they're losing a smaller, powerful dancer.  There are quite a few shorter principal/soloist women, and while there still are some smaller principal men on the roster, I thought Greco looked great partnering not only Misa, but Frances Chung, Sasha de Sola, and others.  End of an era for sure.