This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2024 Season

Just now, bingham said:

I guess , this is like an audition for Reece. Maybe  , some of present male principals will be leaving next year? Reece is a tall, well regarded RB principal.

I wondered too if he’d stay or come back full time next year. They definitely need the principal talent. It’s still a bit shocking to me though.

I can't imagine why Clarke would possibly want to trade in the Royal Ballet for ABT. From autumn to summer he has regular performances in London, where he is a preferred partner of Osipova and Nuñez. London is a more convenient launching pad for guest appearances in Europe and closer to his native Scotland than New York. He'll be in Tokyo for a couple of performances in mid-October, he'll dance at the end of the month in New York. It sounds like the life of a jetsetting principal dancer.

To be honest, I’d rather see Clarke than a large handful of ABT’s current male principals, so.. 😬although I agree that I’d imagine it may be more desirable to stay put with The Royal, who knows.. 

9 minutes ago, WLH said:

To be honest, I’d rather see Clarke than a large handful of ABT’s current male principals, so.. 😬

I think most people agree with you.  The only male principals that I look forward to seeing are Bell, Carmago and Hernandez.  I have nostalgia for Cornejo but he is no longer a great classical dancer.  

5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I can't imagine why Clarke would possibly want to trade in the Royal Ballet for ABT. From autumn to summer he has regular performances in London, where he is a preferred partner of Osipova and Nuñez. London is a more convenient launching pad for guest appearances in Europe and closer to his native Scotland than New York. He'll be in Tokyo for a couple of performances in mid-October, he'll dance at the end of the month in New York. It sounds like the life of a jetsetting principal dancer.

Yes, plus the Royal Ballet is superior to ABT,  performs a large and varied repertory including new works each season, and provides first-rate coaching.  He's having a wonderful career.  

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Principal casting is posted and discussed above. If you mean the soloists, highly doubt they’ll announce that in advance.

Opps, yes, I meant the soloists. It looks like, ABT is the only major company  that does not print the major casting. I get so annoyed when I see  “company” in the casting.

1 hour ago, bingham said:

Opps, yes, I meant the soloists. It looks like, ABT is the only major company  that does not print the major casting. I get so annoyed when I see  “company” in the casting.

Same here! And, I really wish they'd post the soloist casting for all ballets. Many of us do care who is dancing peasant pas, etc.

On 9/14/2024 at 11:38 AM, abatt said:

I received an email from the Guggenheim on an upcoming Works and Process program regarding Crime and Punishment.  The dancers who will appear for the presentation are:

DANCERS

Cassandra Trenary (Raskolnikov)

Christine Shevchenko (Dunya)

Calvin Royal III (Razumikhin)

SunMi Park (Sonya)

Joseph Markey (Luzhin)

Ingrid Thoms (Pulcheria, Raskolnikov and Dunya's mother)

The program is on Sept 22.  If anyone goes please  post.

I also would be interested in hearing from people who were there. Below is a link to the video the Guggenheim posted on youtube:

On 9/25/2024 at 2:42 PM, its the mom said:

Unless they add it, Solor does not dance his major variation in the Shades scene. Just watched it in Boston this past spring. It's really not that much for the male dancer. 

This is why I rather wondered if the TBA Solor spot had originally been intended for Ahn, as a way of further warming audiences to him:  it's an easy-to-middleweight classical role that requires mainly an expression of wonderment, rather than nuanced acting or humor. He looked great opposite Seo in Of Love and Rage, which makes me wonder if that was the original match-up.

I do also wonder if the two guests were cast into Solor for much the same reason:  it's a high-visiblity showcase that doesn't require pyrotechnics (if they're trying to gin up audience excitement for new talent) and it's the ballet (other than maybe In the Upper Room) that both men are likely to already have in their rep, saving a lot of needless rehearsal time.

It will be interesting to see if Jaffe decides to woo Clarke:  he'll be useful if they do, in fact, perform The Winter's Tale next year.  And even if she invests in a third non-homegrown male beyond Camargo and Hernandez to ensure there's enough battle-tested experience onstage, there are still four holes for homegrown up-and-comers to fill, stat.  (Beyond the impending retirements of their three oldest principal men and the loss of the midheight cohort of Gorak and Shayer, Forster entered the company only two years after Stearns...and even Royal is in his late 30s. And that's not counting the principal position filled by Zhurbin.)

Edited by choriamb

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if ABT sells individual tickets for the gala nights? Or is it just tables? I'm very interested in going to the gala on 10/23, but did not see any option on the site to purchase standard tickets. 

2 hours ago, Pointe533 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if ABT sells individual tickets for the gala nights? Or is it just tables? I'm very interested in going to the gala on 10/23, but did not see any option on the site to purchase standard tickets. 

I bought tickets to the gala (quite reasonably, in 4th ring for much less than NYCB charges) last year

3 hours ago, Pointe533 said:

Go to the Koch Theater website, click on the section for ABT tickets, click on the date for the gala.  That's where you will be able to purchase tickets for the performance only.

15 hours ago, choriamb said:

This is why I rather wondered if the TBA Solor spot had originally been intended for Ahn, as a way of further warming audiences to him:  it's an easy-to-middleweight classical role that requires mainly an expression of wonderment, rather than nuanced acting or humor. He looked great opposite Seo in Of Love and Rage, which makes me wonder if that was the original match-up.

I do also wonder if the two guests were cast into Solor for much the same reason:  it's a high-visiblity showcase that doesn't require pyrotechnics (if they're trying to gin up audience excitement for new talent) and it's the ballet (other than maybe In the Upper Room) that both men are likely to already have in their rep, saving a lot of needless rehearsal time.

It will be interesting to see if Jaffe decides to woo Clarke:  he'll be useful if they do, in fact, perform The Winter's Tale next year.  And even if she invests in a third non-homegrown male beyond Camargo and Hernandez to ensure there's enough battle-tested experience onstage, there are still four holes for homegrown up-and-comers to fill, stat.  (Beyond the impending retirements of their three oldest principal men and the loss of the midheight cohort of Gorak and Shayer, Forster entered the company only two years after Stearns...and even Royal is in his late 30s. And that's not counting the principal position filled by Zhurbin.)

She may try to woo Clarke, but I cannot imagine he would want to leave Royal. It would make no sense. I do agree that the spot was probably meant for Ahn. Hernandez and Camargo have both performed La Bayadere previously, so the Shades act will be easy for them. I have found Hernandez to be somewhat one-note in his acting ability, but he can certainly bring technique. 

Ahn has performed Solor before, in the full length version. He hasn’t been cast in anything this fall and his IG is quiet, so unsure if he’s out injured or something. Still, maybe Jaffe was holding it for him but for whatever reason it went to Reece. I agree with others, I can’t imagine Reece wanting to join full time and leave the Royal but maybe he’ll return as a guest artist again next year.

New soloist Li has an IG story up listing her casting. She says she’ll be doing Shades the night of the 26th. Didn’t mention a specific role, but I’m assuming she’ll be one of the three Shades soloists. I haven’t seen any other postings on those roles yet.