This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russell Janzen retiring

Oh no. I so enjoyed his dancing.  Wishing him well.  I wish we could have seen him again in a role he conquered early in his career in Davidsbundertanze.  

Interesting how some dancers decide to leave a little earlier than necessary, while others refuse to retire and hold on until the bitter end.

That's one less tall man. They really need to fast-track some of those tall guys in the corps. 

I'm not entirely surprised that Janzen is leaving -- in recent years he was frequently out injured and, when he was dancing, there were times he didn't seem all that much engaged or up to the technical demands of a role -- but I very much enjoyed his dancing this past season, especially in Copeland Dance Episodes and Agon. 

There have been seasons when Janzen was a real MVP, beautiful and versatile. More recently it seems like he's been injured a lot and even when he's dancing does not seem totally comfortable. I wish him well, I have enjoyed his dancing a lot. Echo @abatt's memory of him in Davidsbundlertanze; I would love to be able to see him in that (and the ballet generally) again. Interesting idea about recruiting Aran Bell! Might be a more solid job for Bell...

I'm sorry to hear that Janzen is retiring. He's a dancer that always brought an intelligence and sensitivity to every role, that I deeply appreciated. He has been injured a lot, perhaps that took a toll. He was a great asset to the company in much of the rep, and will be missed.