This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2023

My guess is petite mort casts will be at least Trenary/Whiteside and Misseldine/Curley if we go off the promo video. But I think it’ has 6 couples so I’m unsure who the other couples will be. 

From casting of the soloists/corp seems like Roxander is on track for promotion and Sunmi/Chloe both have principal roles this time. None for McBride and Granlund though. 

Fairly even casting for the female principals I think. I can’t think of any major omissions or principals barely dancing but I could be wrong since the website is buggy right now. 

edit: ugh formatting on an iPad is tough. 

Edited by balletlover08
1 hour ago, vipa said:

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing much of Cassandra Trenary. I always found her to be one of the more interesting dancers in the company.

She’s doing about as much as the rest of the principals. Titania, debut as Natalia, and as mentioned above most likely Petit Mort. However, Hee Seo only has Piano Concerto. 

I was hoping Curley would get Olga’s Fiancé. 

It’s worth noting that besides Misseldine and Park, no other soloists are in lead casting (except Williams in Bond’s pas).

Edited by ABT Fan

Overall, I think Jaffe has shown good judgment in her casting, and there is much I'm looking forward too. 

It's kind of crazy that ABT's website can't handle traffic caused by the announcement of fall casting. They should send their eblasts in staggered batches if their website can't handle the traffic from everyone navigating to their website at once. Not ideal for an announcement, but neither is jamming up your website.

25 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Overall, I think Jaffe has shown good judgment in her casting, and there is much I'm looking forward too. 

It's kind of crazy that ABT's website can't handle traffic caused by the announcement of fall casting. They should send their eblasts in staggered batches if their website can't handle the traffic from everyone navigating to their website at once. Not ideal for an announcement, but neither is jamming up your website.

I agree. I noticed that Stearns has not been cast much - not as Oberon this year (Bell gets his debut, yay!, and last year Stearns was replaced by Camargo) nor in any of the tutu ballets. I think that's a good decision.

I think the website's issues are because they are actively updating it right now. Each time I refresh it, something else has changed/been added. Now Bond's ballet is on the schedule with casting. Still not a good excuse, but I think it's more than just heavy traffic.

I find it odd that casting was announced, but still no promotions.

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I agree. I noticed that Stearns has not been cast much - not as Oberon this year (Bell gets his debut, yay!, and last year Stearns was replaced by Camargo) nor in any of the tutu ballets. I think that's a good decision.

I think the website's issues are because they are actively updating it right now. Each time I refresh it, something else has changed/been added. Now Bond's ballet is on the schedule with casting. Still not a good excuse, but I think it's more than just heavy traffic.

I find it odd that casting was announced, but still no promotions.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

The limited casting of Stearns and Seo is very interesting.  I tend to like Seo more than some others on this board in certain roles, but we have now left the era of Hee Seo Ballet Theater. 

From what I can see, Hee Seo has just as much as the other principal ballerinas.  She is cast in Piano Concerto No. 1 and is cast in a premiere "Depuis la Jour".  Plus she might be in "Petite Mort" which is just "Company" for now.  She could dance Titania in "The Dream" but never was cast in that role.  She could be good as the self-sacrificing Natalia in "On the Dnipro" - there is a TBA in there.

Trenary and Murphy are kind of skimpily cast.  Boylston also has two roles but more performances of them.

I think Ratmansky casts his own ballets - he gave class at ABT last Met season, presumably scouting dancers. So if you exclude PC1 it seems like Susan Jaffe only cast Seo in the single pas de deux. Alexei also seems to like casting Cate and Aran together much more than Kevin Mackenzie or Susan Jaffe

A bit surprised by the Bell/Trenary pairing based on height - have they danced together before? Fingers crossed for featured roles for Elisabeth Beyer...she deserves to be on the Park/Misseldine track imo

Andrew Robare is a young dancer who joined the corps from the studio company.  He has some similarities in type to a young David Hallberg.  He shone in the studio company and was given many leading roles in ballets there.  He is another young corps dancer who needs to be given solo opportunities and tracked for promotion.

https://www.facebook.com/passionballet.mybb.ru/videos/sunmi-park-andrew-robare-grand-pas-classique-by-victor-gzovsky-american-ballet-s/666935471212554/

Edited by FauxPas
29 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Andrew Robare is a young dancer who joined the corps from the studio company.  He has some similarities in type to a young David Hallberg.  He shone in the studio company and was given many leading roles in ballets there.  He is another young corps dancer who needs to be given solo opportunities and tracked for promotion.

https://www.facebook.com/passionballet.mybb.ru/videos/sunmi-park-andrew-robare-grand-pas-classique-by-victor-gzovsky-american-ballet-s/666935471212554/

Do you remember the rehearsal footage of him last year stepping in for Oberon with Trenary? He was either an understudy or just filling in for that rehearsal, but I was struck by him then.

Just a heads-up to others who might be buying ABT tickets today: After ordering all but one of the performances I wanted, it threw me into the waiting room "You are being blocked for suspicious activity." Same warning I got the first day of NYCB tickets. So I waited about 5 minutes and was able to get back in, with all my previous ticket choices intact.

Looks like they have lightened up a little on the security measures. 

PS. You can buy regular seats for the Gala Oct 24. Looks like the best ones in orchestra and 1st tier are being held for the people going to the real gala, but lots to choose from.

On 8/28/2023 at 4:42 PM, bingham said:

I think they will make the announcement on the day the dancers come back from their vacation. It would be more exciting to everyone especially the dancers.

Judging from today's Instagrams for several ABT dancers, they are back in the studio today. Hope they make some announcements of promotions!

48 minutes ago, California said:

Judging from today's Instagrams for several ABT dancers, they are back in the studio today. Hope they make some announcements of promotions!

I think just a few are back in the studio. Some of the dancers are still on vacation.  I think they are coming back September 12th, based upon other’s posts. I agree they would announce promotions then. 

On 8/28/2023 at 6:55 PM, FauxPas said:

From what I can see, Hee Seo has just as much as the other principal ballerinas.  She is cast in Piano Concerto No. 1 and is cast in a premiere "Depuis la Jour".  Plus she might be in "Petite Mort" which is just "Company" for now.  She could dance Titania in "The Dream" but never was cast in that role.  She could be good as the self-sacrificing Natalia in "On the Dnipro" - there is a TBA in there.

Trenary and Murphy are kind of skimpily cast.  Boylston also has two roles but more performances of them.

Seo and Stearns are dancing Arpino's Sea Shadow in the Sept 23/24 Arpino Centennial Gala in Chicago (page down):

News/Events - The Arpino Foundation

3 hours ago, California said:

I’m betting (hoping) the announcement comes out tomorrow. September 1 is the start of the new season. Whoever was promoted would already know, they’d have had to sign a new contract already which begins tomorrow, so I guess they’re sworn to secrecy till the announcement. Whatever the case, the suspense is killing me.

At this point it seems like Jaffe will wait till at least the Fall performances are over. Someone had commented on another thread about this last week I think - basically saying she may want more time with the dancers and to see who really has principal potential and won’t just be a career soloist if they’re moved up to soloist. If that’s the case then I totally agree (even though I’m impatiently waiting…). Of course, no one has a crystal ball and a soloist could fail to reach the potential that we all saw/hoped they had. But for the sake of their future, the soloist clog created by McKenzie needs to be revamped.

All the good soloists were promoted to principal in 2017 and 2020.  So what was there in the now depleted soloist rank were the ones that weren't going to move forward.  Promoting Misseldine, Park, Granlund, McBride and Han last year was a bright move.  Katherine Williams is probably the best of the older soloists.  I like her.  The new ones are promising but the male ranks look thin right now.  I think that this Fall season is a testing ground for some young people (Roxander for example) and we will see who comes through the gauntlet and advances. 

However, I don't know if the promotions will be made this year - the contracts were already signed for this year and the season is starting.  So whatever changes that were made, are already made.  I don't know if there is a mechanism for a mid-season promotion with a change in rank and salary.

Edited by FauxPas