This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2023

2 minutes ago, MoMo said:

I agree. I think Misty is moving on to her other projects ( a book, a short film etc). She will be 43 in 2024 and hasn’t danced onstage since 2019 ( Manon. I saw it). 

Misty and her partner in film production, Leyla Feyyaz, were interviewed on Conversations on Dance recently. I don't know when it was recorded but it dropped June 27. It was a charming and interesting interview about their film and plans for future projects. Misty said she hadn't tried 5th position yet. I don't know if she meant that literally, but she also mentioned having danced in pain, because of injuries, her last few seasons. It's hard for me to imagine she will be back. ABT will keep her on the roster as long as possible IMO>

On 7/19/2023 at 1:48 PM, matilda said:

I thought "Other Dances" was supposed to come back this fall after hints from ABT dancers on Instagram. I guess they are just doing it for the summer BAAND festival. 

Here's the schedule for "Other Dances" at the BAAND festival: 

https://www.lincolncenter.org/series/summer-for-the-city/baand-together-dance-festival-866

Other Dances  

Choreography by JEROME ROBBINS

Staged by ISABELLE GUÉRIN

Music by FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN

Costumes by SANTO LOQUASTO

Original lighting by NANANNE PORCHER

GILLIAN MURPHY      ARAN BELL (July 25, 27 & 29)  

ISABELLA BOYLSTON JOO WON AHN  (July 26 & July 28)  

Piano Soloist: EMILY WONG  

Music for Other Dances includes four mazurkas: Op. 17, #4; Op. 41, #3; Op. 63, #2; Op. 33, #2; and one waltz, Op. 64, #3 by Frédéric Chopin.  Other Dances was created in the spring of 1976 especially for Natalia Makarova and Mikhail Baryshnikov for a gala benefit for the Library and Museum of Performing Arts at Lincoln Center, New York City.  The ballet was commissioned by Eugenia Doll and is dedicated to her memory with gratitude for the devoted tender loving care she extended to so many people and companies in the field of dance.  Other Dances is performed by permission of the Robbins Rights Trust. 

I'm so glad they gave this to Murphy:  she has the authority to be a little playful (which sometimes gets lost when NYCB does it). And Bell has both the elan and the technique.

I'm definitely going to peek at Boylston and Ahn's performance as well. She has a way of surprising me. And I liked Ahn in both Of Love and Rage and Apollo, so I'm curious to see him in something less freighted than a full-length.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, choriamb said:

I'm so glad they gave this to Murphy:  she has the authority to be a little playful (which sometimes gets lost when NYCB does it). And Bell has both the elan and the technique.

I'm definitely going to peek at Boylston and Ahn's performance as well. She has a way of surprising me. And I liked Ahn in both Of Love and Rage and Apollo, so I'm curious to see him in something less freighted than a full-length.

If anybody is seeing Other Dances this week, please give us a report. 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:54 PM, California said:

If anybody is seeing Other Dances this week, please give us a report. 

I saw Other Dances last night with Isabella and Joo. I'm not sure it was a great programming choice for BAAND. The other 4 companies chose high energy works that were more playful and exuberant, and I love Other Dances but it's a quiet, intimate work that felt like it got a bit lost in that outdoor festival setting. Muted audience reaction compared to the other works danced.

I think of Other Dances as being a more natural fit for someone like Hee Seo who has a very fluid, expressive upper body, but Isabella looked very polished and confident.  She had a beautiful manège of turns and a big, gorgeous jump, and everything was clearly articulated.

Joo seemed to have some trouble in his first solo, particularly with landing the turns cleanly. He did not seem to have Isabella's confidence but his partnering looked solid.

19 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

I saw Other Dances last night with Isabella and Joo. I'm not sure it was a great programming choice for BAAND. The other 4 companies chose high energy works that were more playful and exuberant, and I love Other Dances but it's a quiet, intimate work that felt like it got a bit lost in that outdoor festival setting. Muted audience reaction compared to the other works danced.

I think of Other Dances as being a more natural fit for someone like Hee Seo who has a very fluid, expressive upper body, but Isabella looked very polished and confident.  She had a beautiful manège of turns and a big, gorgeous jump, and everything was clearly articulated.

Joo seemed to have some trouble in his first solo, particularly with landing the turns cleanly. He did not seem to have Isabella's confidence but his partnering looked solid.

Thanks for these reports on Other Dances. At least from comments on Instagram Stories yesterday, it seems the Bell-Murphy pairing went well.

Some have asked why this isn't on the fall program, especially program III, which seems a little weak. I'm wondering if they might be including it on the Gala program October 24. I'd prefer Bell-Murphy. 

I just got a Save the Date email from ABT re the Fall Gala. It states "American Ballet Theatre is thrilled to invite you to save the date for our Fall Gala featuring a one time only program of beloved classic and contemporary pas de deux performed by ABT's star Principal Dancers."  

Based on this it is likely that Other Dances will be on the gala program.  

On 7/19/2023 at 7:55 PM, MoMo said:

I think Misty is moving on to her other projects ( a book, a short film etc). She will be 43 in 2024 and hasn’t danced onstage since 2019 ( Manon. I saw it). 

ABT Official posted a short clip of Misty rehearsing Manon on YouTube. Perhaps a retirement performance in spring 2024?

1 minute ago, abatt said:

Aren't the ABT employees currently on vacation.  This must be a clip of her from many years ago.

Oh, I don't think it's recent. Perhaps it's from the 2019 performances someone else mentioned. Just an interesting clip from ABT while we're all wondering about her retirement and she has hinted that she'll be back at the 2024 met season.  I would be ecstatic if they program Manon for 2024!

28 minutes ago, abatt said:

Aren't the ABT employees currently on vacation.  This must be a clip of her from many years ago.

I think this post of Misty is from 2019, the last time she danced Manon. And yes, ABT is on vacation for the next four weeks. 

3 hours ago, California said:

ABT Official posted a short clip of Misty rehearsing Manon on YouTube. Perhaps a retirement performance in spring 2024?

This video was posted on YouTube 4 years, not recently - not even re-posted recently. I'm thinking that this just showed up in California's feed. YouTube does that. So, I don't see any correlation between this snippet and what may or may not be performed next year or when Copeland may retire.

8 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

This video was posted on YouTube 4 years, not recently - not even re-posted recently. I'm thinking that this just showed up in California's feed. YouTube does that. So, I don't see any correlation between this snippet and what may or may not be performed next year or when Copeland may retire.

Darn. Well, we can dream. I'm really, really, really hoping for either Manon or Onegin in 2024. Enough with the R&J for awhile!

PS. Canada is doing Onegin November 22-26, 2023 - unfortunately, that's US Thanksgiving weekend, probably the worst weekend of the year for air travel! So, I won't be going to that one.

https://national.ballet.ca/Productions/Onegin

From the company:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2023 FALL SEASON AT THE DAVID H. KOCH THEATER

2023 FALL GALA FEATURING ABT PRINCIPAL DANCERS, ABT STUDIO COMPANY, AND STUDENTS OF THE ABT JACQUELINE KENNEDY ONASSIS SCHOOL SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, OCTOBER 24

TICKETS ON SALE WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6 AT 12:00 P.M.

NEW YORK, NY (August 28, 2023) – Casting for American Ballet Theatre’s 2023 Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater from October 18–29 was announced today by Artistic Director Susan Jaffe. General public on sale for the 2023 Fall season begins Wednesday, September 6 at 12:00 P.M. at the Koch Box Office.

The season will feature three programs of works, showcasing the breadth and depth of American Ballet Theatre’s classical and contemporary repertoire. The first program Classics Old and New will consist of Alexei Ratmansky’s Piano Concerto No. 1, Jiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, and Harald Lander’s Études. 20th Century Works: Balanchine and Ashton will follow with George Balanchine’s Ballet Imperial and Frederick Ashton’s The Dream. To close out the season, 21st Century Works: King, Ratmansky, and Bond will include Alonzo King’s Single Eye, Ratmansky’s On the Dnipro, and the New York Premiere of Gemma Bond’s Depuis le Jour.

The Fall Gala will take place on Tuesday evening, October 24 at 6:30 P.M. at the Koch Theater. ABT’s Artistic team has assembled a special one-night-only Gala program for this celebratory evening, featuring a curated selection of beloved classic and contemporary pieces performed by this season’s Principal Dancers. The evening will also feature up-and-coming talent at American Ballet Theatre with a performance by ABT Studio Company and students of the ABT Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School. Gala casting to be announced at a later date. For more information on ABT's 2023 Fall Gala or to purchase tickets and tables, please contact Megan Stahlberg, Associate Director of Special Events, atmstahlberg@abt.org.

Classics Old and New will run from Wednesday, October 18 through the Saturday matinee on October 21 and will feature Alexei Ratmansky’s Piano Concerto No. 1, Jiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, and Harald Lander’s Études.

Piano Concerto No. 1 will open the Fall season on October 18 led by Christine Shevchenko, Calvin Royal III, Skylar Brandt, and Jake Roxander in a debut. Hee Seo, Thomas Forster, Catherine Hurlin, and Aran Bell will debut in principal roles on Thursday, October 19. The ballet was choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky and is set to the music of Dmitri Shostakovich with scenery by George Tsypin, costumes by Keso Dekker, and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. Piano Concerto No. 1 was given its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on May 31, 2013, under the titlePiano Concerto #1, danced by Diana Vishneva, Cory Stearns, Natalia Osipova, and Ivan Vasiliev.

Petite Mort was originally created by Jiří Kylián for the second centenary of the death of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, to the slow movements of two of Mozart’s most beautiful and popular piano concertos. Costumes are by Joke Visser and lighting by Joop Caboort. Petite Mort was given its World Premiere at the Salzburg Festival on August 23, 1991, at the Kleines Festpielhaus, Salzburg, Austria. It was given its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at City Center, New York on October 30, 2003. Petite Mort will be staged for ABT by Elke Scheppers.

Études will conclude the first program led by Devon Teuscher, Daniel Camargo, and Herman Cornejo on October 18, with both Teuscher and Camargo debuting in these roles. On Thursday, October 19, Joo Won Ahn and Aran Bell will debut in leading roles, while on Friday, October 20, Catherine Hurlin and Jake Roxander will make their debuts. Set to music by Carl Czerny and arranged by Knudåge Riisager, Études was created in 1948 at the Royal Opera House in Copenhagen for the Royal Danish Ballet and was later staged for the Paris Opera in 1952. American Ballet Theatre first presented Études at the 54th Street Theatre on October 5, 1961, with the cast headed by Toni Lander, Royes Fernandez, and Bruce Marks. Études will be staged for ABT by Thomas Lund.

20th Century Works: Balanchine and Ashton, ABT’s second Fall program, will be given four performances on Saturday evening, October 21; Sunday matinee, October 22; Wednesday evening, October 25; and Thursday evening, October 26. 20th Century Works: Balanchine and Ashton will consist of George Balanchine’s Ballet Imperial and Frederick Ashton’s The Dream.

Ballet Imperial will open the second program of the Fall season, featuring Isabella Boylston, James Whiteside, and Skylar Brandt debuting in the leading roles. Christine Shevchenko, Calvin Royal III, and Chloe Misseldine will debut in these leading roles at the matinee on Sunday, October 22. Ballet Imperial, set to Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky’s Concerto No. 2 in G for Piano and Orchestra, received its World Premiere by American Ballet Caravan at the Hunter College Playhouse, New York on May 27, 1941, danced by Marie-Jeanne, Gisella Caccialanza, and William Dollar. The American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere of Ballet Imperial was given on February 10, 1988, at the Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, danced by Susan Jaffe, Ross Stretton, and Amanda McKerrow. Scenery and costumes are by Rouben Ter-Aruntuian and lighting is by Jennifer Tipton.Ballet Imperial will be staged for ABT by Colleen Neary.

Ashton’s The Dream will be performed by Gillian Murphy as Titania, Daniel Camargo as Oberon, and Jake Roxander in his debut as Puck. Aran Bell will make his debut as Oberon at the matinee on Sunday, October 22. The Dream is Frederick Ashton’s beguiling retelling of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream set to a spellbinding score by Felix Mendelssohn and arranged by John Lanchbery with sets and costumes by David Walker and lighting by John B. Read. The Dream received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London on April 2, 1964, danced by Antoinette Sibley as Titania, Anthony Dowell as Oberon, and Keith Martin as Puck. The Dream was given its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on May 24, 2002, danced by Alessandra Ferri as Titania, Ethan Stiefel as Oberon, and Herman Cornejo as Puck.

The final four performances of ABT’s 2023 Fall season, titled 21st Century Works: King, Ratmansky, and Bond, will feature Alonzo King’s Single Eye, the New York Premiere of Gemma Bond’s Depuis le Jour, and Ratmansky’s On the Dnipro with performances from Friday, October 27 to Sunday, October 29.

The first performance of Alonzo King’s Single Eye will be led by Isabella Boylston, Thomas Forster, Calvin Royal III, Skylar Brandt, and Cory Stearns, the original principal cast of the ballet at its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on March 16, 2022, at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California. Set to music by celebrated jazz artist and composer Jason Moran, Single Eye features sets  and costumes by Robert Rosenwasser and lighting by Jim French.

Gemma Bond’s pas de deux Depuis le Jour will be given its New York Premiere, danced by Hee Seo and Joo Won Ahn. Katherine Williams and Jose Sebastian will dance these roles for the first time in New York at the matinee on Saturday, October 28. Choreographed by Gemma Bond, the piece is set to the Act III aria from Louise by Gustave Charpentier, with costumes by Bond and lighting by Serena Wong. Depuis le Jour was given its World Premiere on November 28, 2012, at the International Competition for the Erik Bruhn Prize, danced by Devon Teuscher and Calvin Royal III.

On the Dnipro will be danced by Cory Stearns as Sergiy, Devon Teuscher as Natalia, Christine Shevchenko as Olga, and James Whiteside as Olga’s Fiancé. Debuts will include SunMi Park as Natalia and Michael de la Nuez as Olga’s Fiancé at the matinee on Saturday, October 28; and Aran Bell as Sergiy and Cassandra Trenary as Natalia at the matinee on Sunday, October 29. Ratmansky’s production of Sergei Prokofiev’s On the Dnipro received its World Premiere on June 1, 2009, at the Metropolitan Opera House, under the title On the Dnieper, danced by Marcelo Gomes as Sergiy, Veronika Part as Natalia, Paloma Herrera as Olga, and David Hallberg as Olga’s Fiancé. The title of the ballet and the leading character’s name have been adjusted to reflect a Ukrainian spelling. The production features scenery by Simon Pastukh, costumes by Galina Solovyeva, lighting by Brad Fields, and projections by Wendall K. Harrington. Prokofiev’s score for On the Dnipro was originally commissioned by the Paris Opera, and the original ballet production received its World Premiere in 1932 by the Paris Opera Ballet.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2023 Fall season at the David H. Koch will be available for general public on sale beginning Wednesday, September 6 at 12:00 P.M. Tickets begin at $30 and are available online, in person at the Koch Theater box office, or by phone at 212-496-0600. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Complete casting follows.

ABOUT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre is one of the greatest dance companies in the world. Revered as a national treasure since its founding season in 1940, its mission is to create, present, preserve, and extend the great repertoire of classical dancing for the widest possible audience. Headquartered in New York City, ABT is the only cultural institution of its size and stature to extensively tour, enchanting audiences for eight decades in 50 U.S. states, 45 countries, and over 480 cities worldwide. ABT’s repertoire includes full-length classics from the nineteenth century, the finest works from the early twentieth century, and acclaimed contemporary masterpieces. In 2006, by an act of Congress, ABT was designated America's National Ballet Company®.

The production of Piano Concerto No. 1 was made possible with Lead Underwriting from David H. Koch.

In addition, Leadership support for Piano Concerto No. 1, part of the Ratmansky Project, has been generously provided by Avery and Andrew F. Barth, the Blavatnik Family Foundation, Mr. And Mrs. Hamilton E. James, the Lloyd E. Rigler-Lawrence E. Deutsch Foundation, the Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund, and through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

This production of The Dream is generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka Palitz, in memory of Clarence J. Palitz, Jr. 

This production of On the Dnipro is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. The World Premiere of On the Dnipro (originally titled On the Dnieper) was generously sponsored by Leila and Micky Straus.

Leadership support of ABT’s New Works Initiative is provided by Mark Casey and Carrie Gaiser Casey, The Ted and Mary Jo Shen Charitable Gift Fund, and through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

Commissions and presentations of new works by women choreographers are supported by the ABT Women’s Movement. Champion support for the ABT Women’s Movement is provided by Jenna Segal.

Special thanks to Denise Littlefield Sobel for her leadership gifts to: ABT Today Fund, advancing the Company’s mission; and ABT RISE, fueling the Company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of The Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

2023 FALL SEASON-CASTING.pdf

I have not been able to get onto the ABT website to look at the calendar, but is Cornejo mentioned anywhere in casting.  Is he in the other case of Midsummer Night as Puck?

Just got on the website.  Nope.  Herman is not doing Puck.  The alternate Puck is Elwin.

Is Herman listed  for any roles in the fall?

Why is Brandt doing a soloist role in Ballet Imperial?  

Edited by abatt
11 minutes ago, abatt said:

I have not been able to get onto the ABT website to look at the calendar, but is Cornejo mentioned anywhere in casting.  Is he in the other case of Midsummer Night as Puck?

The ABT Calendar doesn't want to appear. Perhaps overloaded? And the PDF at the end of the press release says "unavailable."

Where are people seeing this casting??

Herman is doing the second male lead in Etudes. I assume Trenary will be in Petite Mort since she's featured in the promo image for that ballet in the mailed brochure I received. 

The calendar is loading for me but the website apparently can't handle a traffic spike. Not a good look. 

Edited by matilda

Glad I caught Herman as Puck last season.  It was one of his best roles.  

I could not load the calendar.  However, if you click Performances, Fall Season, you can find the casting that way by clicking into each  ballet.  

Edited by abatt