This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo & Juliet - April 21-April 30

I had the privilege of attending Misa Kuranaga and Joseph Walsh's performance of R&J on Tuesday, April 25th. To say that it was a breathtaking performance would be an understatement. The chemistry between the dancers, the orchestra, and everything in between was simply out of this world! The stars aligned & it was pure magic.

In my personal opinion, this performance deserves to be written about in the books of ballet history, alongside Natalia Osipova and David Hallberg's rendition of R&J

6 hours ago, nycgal said:

I had the privilege of attending Misa Kuranaga and Joseph Walsh's performance of R&J on Tuesday, April 25th. To say that it was a breathtaking performance would be an understatement. The chemistry between the dancers, the orchestra, and everything in between was simply out of this world! The stars aligned & it was pure magic.

In my personal opinion, this performance deserves to be written about in the books of ballet history, alongside Natalia Osipova and David Hallberg's rendition of R&J

There don't seem to have been any so-so performances of this last program. It's been nothing but raves.   😉

CASTING ALERT FOR SATURDAY 4/29 2 PM MATINEE

Dores Andre and Max Cauthorn will take the stage for the last time this afternoon before departing for Ballet Zurich.  Dores will dance the role of Juliet, while Max will be this afternoon's Mercutio.  Here is the full casting - CASTING: ROMEO & JULIET - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org) (Casting subject to change)

Conductor: Martin West

HOUSE OF CAPULET

• Lord Capulet: Val Caniparoli
  • Lady Capulet: Jennifer Stahl
  • Juliet: Dores André
  • Nurse: Maggie Weirich
  • Tybalt: Nathaniel Remez
  • Rosaline: Kamryn Baldwin
  • Juliet's Friends: Samantha Bristow, Thamires Chuvas, Mimi Lamar, Carmela Mayo, Seojeong Yun
  • Capulet Men: Luca Ferrò, Lleyton Ho, Alexander Reneff-Olson, Jacob Seltzer, Jasper Stanford, Mingxuan Wang

HOUSE OF MONTAGUE

• Lord Montague: Adrian Ziesel
  • Lady Montague: Katita Waldo
  • Romeo: Isaac Hernández
  • Benvolio: Max Cauthorn
  • Montague Men: Esteban Cuadrado, Steven Morse, Henry Sidford, John-Paul Simoens

PEOPLE OF VERONA

• Prince of Verona: Martino Pistone
  • Mercutio: Lonnie Weeks
  • Paris: Myles Thatcher
  • Friar Laurence: Ricardo Bustamante
  • Harlots: Pemberley Ann Olson, Jamie Adele Stephens
  • Acrobats: Lizzie Powell, Jacob Seltzer, Alexis Francisco Valdes

CITIZENS OF VERONA

Juliana Bellissimo, Samantha Bristow, Olivia Brothers, Jihyun Choi, Elizabeth Mateer, Swane Messaoudi, Tyla Steinbach, Victoria Wright, Angela Watson, Seojeong Yun, Rubén Cítores Nieto, Esteban Cuadrado, Chase Hanson, Lleyton Ho, Andris Kundzins, Mingxuan Wang, Davide Occhipinti, João Percilio da Silva, Alexander Reneff-Olson, John-Paul Simoens, Adrian Zeisel with Students of San Francisco Ballet School

On 4/24/2023 at 9:09 PM, Josette said:

There was another powerful and moving performance at the Sunday matinee with Nikisha Fogo and Aaron Robison, who were compelling, passionate, and brilliant in all ways. 

I also have to say what a beautiful Act III Dores Andre gave us.  She and Nikisha were the Juliets the most transformed by events leading up to Juliet's Act III.   

So jealous of SFB audiences' proximity to Nikisha Fogo! Her dancing is so unmannered and youthful. I imagine these qualities carried over to her Juliet (I've seen many mannered/or over-rehearsed Juliets in the past decade). Ms Fogo's performances never cease to feel like a breath of fresh air to me. 

Edited by Papagena
On 4/29/2023 at 11:10 AM, Papagena said:

So jealous of SFB audiences' proximity to Nikisha Fogo! Her dancing is so unmannered and youthful. I imagine these qualities carried over to her Juliet (I've seen many mannered/or over-rehearsed Juliets in the past decade). Ms Fogo's performances never cease to feel like a breath of fresh air to me. 

We are most fortunate to have her with SFB.  Her Juliet was brilliant.  It was the most distinctive interpretation of the four SFB Juliets. She established Juliet's personality from the first scene and it made me realize how many generic Juliets I have watched over the years, who do good work but, aside from their personal appearance, are not particularly unique.  Her powerful dancing also enhanced and made its own statement in the Act Three scenes with her father and Paris as a strong-willed, frankly rebellious Juliet, whose decisions create her own destiny, which I think goes along with the play.  And I need to add that she has a beautiful rapport with Aaron Robison, as he is a tall, strong, and passionate Romeo and they work really wonderfully together.  

Well, seeing YY as Juliet was the singular experience I'd hoped it would be. Before the performance, Helgi (!) came out onstage, along with Anita Paciotti and Tamara Rojo, to announce Anita's retirement with this final performance. So bittersweet! While YY isn't retiring yet, I did feel like we were watching something extraordinarily precious, through the performance and particularly with the Juliet-Nurse interactions. Made my eyes leak. 😉

The curtain call was also a big thing, and, as I've never before been to the last performance of the last production of the season, I can't know if they were all like this. Very high emotion. Hansuke (as Benvolio) also delivered a final bow, and Helgi came back onstage to bring him a beribboned magnum of Champagne, which clinched the suspicion that he, too, was retiring. (Hansuke and not Helgi. Well. Helgi too. Obviously.) What I found privately annoying, even as I understand that this is the way things are now, were the dozens of people who crowded in the aisles close to the stage to hold up their phones to record the final bows. A real shame for those who wanted to see it in real time but their views were blocked. But, again, I understand that this is how things are now. 

Joseph Walsh was an amazing Mercutio, Alexander Reneff-Olson was a satisfying villainous Tybalt, Aaron Robison paired up wonderfully with YY's Juliet.

Oh, and there was a female conductor, Maria Seletskaja. So great to see!! The orchestra's sound was typically splendid.

Edited by Terez
1 hour ago, Terez said:

The curtain call was also a big thing, and, as I've never before been to the last performance of the last production of the season, I can't know if they were all like this. Very high emotion. Hansuke (as Benvolio) also delivered a final bow, and Helgi came back onstage to bring him a beribboned magnum of Champagne, which clinched the suspicion that he, too, was retiring. (Hansuke and not Helgi. Well. Helgi too. Obviously.) What I found privately annoying, even as I understand that this is the way things are now, were the dozens of people who crowded in the aisles close to the stage to hold up their phones to record the final bows. A real shame for those who wanted to see it in real time but their views were blocked. But, again, I understand that this is how things are now.

I was just thinking about Hansuke a day or two ago - I was wondering if anyone was seeing him dance anymore. He's been a soloist with SFB for 18 years now, I believe. I wonder what his plans are now?

11 hours ago, pherank said:

I was just thinking about Hansuke a day or two ago - I was wondering if anyone was seeing him dance anymore. He's been a soloist with SFB for 18 years now, I believe. I wonder what his plans are now?

Under Roster Changes 2023, I mention that I saw him as Benvolio and as Benjamin in Cinderella this season.  

Yes, I have seen him dance in some good roles this season, as well. It surprised me, as I feel like I missed out on seeing him all last season, but I'm delighted for him that he's leaving on this high note. The trio of Romeo, Benvolio and Mercutio are so prominently featured in this production, with great choreographic opportunities as well as the chance to display personality and wit. Hansuke did great right alongside Joe and Aaron in this performance, which, of course, is saying something.

9 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

This is so cool! Can't wait to read up more about her!