This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo & Juliet - April 21-April 30

Principal Casting CASTING: ROMEO & JULIET - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org) has been posted for Romeo & Juliet - the last program of the 2023 Rep Season:

Friday, April 21, 8:00 PM

• Romeo: Angelo Greco
  • Juliet: Jasmine Jimison

Saturday, April 22, 2:00 PM

• Romeo: Joseph Walsh
  • Juliet: Misa Kuranaga

Saturday, April 22, 8:00 PM

• Romeo: Isaac Hernández
  • Juliet: Dores André

Sunday, April 23, 2:00 PM

• Romeo: Aaron Robison
  • Juliet: Nikisha Fogo

Tuesday, April 25, 2:00 PM

• Romeo: Joseph Walsh
  • Juliet: Misa Kuranaga

Wednesday, April 26, 2:00 PM

• Juliet: Nikisha Fogo

Thursday, April 27, 8:00 PM

Saturday, April 29, 2:00 PM

• Romeo: Isaac Hernández
  • Juliet: Dores André

Saturday, April 29, 8:00 PM

Sunday, April 30, 2:00 PM

• Juliet: Yuan Yuan Tan

*CASTING SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Edited by sf_herminator

Wow. This is unexpected. Was crossing my fingers for seeing Nikisha Fogo on opening night, but alas, not to be. 

Agreed on the "wow" on YY, Josette! And that's a Sun matinee - an easy time/day to make a second trip to the city happen. Hmmm...

Edited by Terez

YY is doing her "final lap", as it were. I thought she might try and reach 50 years of age as a performer, but I'm sure the pressure is on for her to step aside and make room for the young ones.

She was such a big part of the Tomasson era, so her leaving will really feel like a door closing on old times.

Josette, you may be correct - I think it was usually in April that the announcement was made. But the pandemic certainly messed with all that.

Today's SFB e-mail mentions, "Soloist Jasmine Jimison will make her debut in the title role on opening night, April 21 at 8 pm, marking the first time in the production's 29-year history that a soloist has opened the show in a principal role."

Yeah, Jasmine.

I am going to the four shows this weekend.  Jasmine should be lovely with Angelo, but I’m looking forward to seeing everyone.   That same email also states that YY Tan created the role of Juliet. I love that she’s closing the season with Aaron Robison.  

Full casting for the opening night performance is now posted - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting-romeo-juliet/

HOUSE OF CAPULET

• Lord Capulet: Ricardo Bustamante
  • Lady Capulet: Jennifer Stahl
  • Juliet: Jasmine Jimison
  • Nurse: Anita Paciotti
  • Tybalt: Luke Ingham
  • Rosaline: Kamryn Baldwin
  • Juliet's Friends: Thamires Chuvas, Carmela Mayo, Leili Rackow, Tyla Steinbach, Angela Watson
  • Capulet Men: Lleyton Ho, Alexander Reneff-Olson, Jacob Seltzer, Myles Thatcher, Mingxuan Wang, Lonnie Weeks

HOUSE OF MONTAGUE

• Lord Montague: Rubén Cítores Nieto
  • Lady Montague: Katita Waldo
  • Benvolio: Max Cauthorn
  • Montague Men: Esteban Cuadrado, Davide Occhipinti, Henry Sidford, John-Paul Simoens

Prince of Verona: Martino Pistone

Mercutio: Esteban Hernández

Paris: Stephen Morse

Friar Laurence: Jim Sohm

Harlots: Isabella DeVivo, Ellen Rose Hummel

Acrobats: Julia Rowe, Cavan Conley, Wei Wang

CITIZENS OF VERONA

Juliana Bellissimo, Olivia Brothers, Jihyun Choi, Elizabeth Mateer, Swane Messaoudi, Pemberley Ann Olson, Tyla Steinbach, Jamie Adele Stephens, Maggie Weirich, Seojeong Yun, Esteban Cuadrado, Luca Ferrò, Lleyton Ho, Andris Kundzins, João Percilio da Silva, Nathaniel Remez, Alexander Reneff-Olson, John-Paul Simoens, Jasper Stanford, Mingxuan Wang, Adrian Zeisel with Students of San Francisco Ballet School

On 4/19/2023 at 9:29 PM, Josette said:

I am going to the four shows this weekend.  Jasmine should be lovely with Angelo, but I’m looking forward to seeing everyone.   That same email also states that YY Tan created the role of Juliet. I love that she’s closing the season with Aaron Robison.  

Reporting in after opening night, and I think Jasmine Jimison did an outstanding job. In the Balcony pas de deux, and thereafter, she practically became another person. Very exciting to see. Josette, I interpreted the press release in saying that YY made her debut in the role in 2002, not that she was the original for Helgi's production. Regardless, I'm thrilled that I get to attend the 4/30 performance and see her Juliet. Truly a wonderful way to close the season (so soon... sob!).

Will be eager to hear your comments, Josette, about the four performances you are seeing this weekend!

Ooh, so nice to hear, Josette! I've become a big Joseph Walsh fan. He's a great, charismatic actor, and always seems to lend so much support to his partner. Not to mention his impeccable technique. I was actually glad to see the Angelo-Misa team split up for this production. Yes, Angelo and Misa have wonderful chemistry together, but the two different pairings for this production seem to be producing great results.

There was another powerful and moving performance at the Sunday matinee with Nikisha Fogo and Aaron Robison, who were compelling, passionate, and brilliant in all ways. And we also had the charismatic Cavan Conley as Mercutio, the fierce Alexander Reneff-Olson as Tybalt, the poignant Maggie Weirich as the Nurse, and Mingxuan Wang as Benvolio finally seen in a role where we can marvel at how accomplished he is.  Overall and individually, it was a superb, unforgettable performance from everyone.  The intertwined emotional chemistry between Nikisha and Aaron felt REAL - they were so deeply in love that the outcome was inevitable.  The swordfight scene between Romeo-Aaron and Tybalt-Alexander was electrifying, followed by Romeo-Aaron's emotional despair.  I cannot come up with enough superlatives about this Romeo and Juliet and would tell anyone to run to the Opera House and see it.   

I also have to say what a beautiful Act III Dores Andre gave us.  She and Nikisha were the Juliets the most transformed by events leading up to Juliet's Act III.   

Having attended these first four performances, I felt that the energy level was palpably higher as a whole at the Saturday matinee in comparison with opening night (except for Max Cauthorn, who was outstandingly natural and likeable as Benvolio on Friday), and the energy level remained high in the performances on the Saturday matinee and evening and Sunday matinee performances. 

Edited by Josette

I’m curious about who had say in casting this year - I’m assuming it’s Rojo, but I’ve really been enjoying the shakeups of the “standard” partnerships!! It’s been nice to see some different, unexpected casting!

Nikisha and Aaron were wonderful. Simultaneously subtle, yet dramatic in their interpretations. Lots of musicality, culminating in the moving final scene.

Cavan Conley and Mingxuan Wang were the delightful surprises for me though. Both were well rehearsed and brought humor and great acting to their roles. Hope to see lots more of them in the future!

One question though - I noticed the corps de ballet didn’t come out for the bows at the end. That seemed a bit of an unusual choice, no?

Good point, Phrenchphry11, about no bows for the corps. I wonder if it wasn't partly because the show runs so long, they had to keep curtain calls short. Also, the gorgeous, sweeping ensemble piece at the Capulet's ball is relatively early in the ballet. In Nutcracker, "Land of Snow" dancers never get their curtain call, either. Then again, most of them dance again in Act II.

Mingxuan Wang has been dancing really well in a soloist capacity for a long time; I'd love to see him finally promoted from the corps. 

I think Helgi and the other choreographers had more say in casting for this season than Rojo. You figure they've been rehearsing since August, and Rojo didn't officially take over until December. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, for those in the know.) But I agree with you, Phrenchphry, that it's been enjoyable, seeing this mixing around of partners. I particularly enjoy seeing greener dancers being given a chance with a seasoned principal. Always fun to see the end result.