This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Francois Alu, Etoile

Alu raced through the promotion competitions to become premier danseur by age 21. Then he got stuck. To be sure, 28 is not an especially advanced age to reach étoile, at least by the standards of the past. But Louvet, Marchand and Marque were promoted ahead of Alu when each of them was 23 years of age.

I suppose the excuse to exclude Thibault was that despite his impeccable classicism, he wasn't leading-man material physically or temperamentally. :dunno: Alu isn't a looker either: he isn't tall, long legged and stretchy, he has a large (bald) head and a thick waist, backside and thighs. He is more of a flash act who muscles through the choreography, albeit remarkable in how he combines jaw-dropping pyrotechnics with the finesse of French schooling. His macho charisma is very real.

Edited by volcanohunter
15 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Alu raced through the promotion competitions to become premier danseur by age 21. Then he got stuck. To be sure, 28 is not an especially advanced age to reach étoile, at least by the standards of the past. But Louvet, Marchand and Marque were promoted ahead of Alu when each of them was 23 years of age.

The person whose status intrigues me is Arthus Raveau (formerly Pierre-Arthur). He was promoted to premier at the same time as Alu but he doesn't dance a lot any more. When Raveau does appear on stage, he's increasingly cast in character parts. I know he's had injuries but he's not that much older than Alu.

15 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I suppose the excuse to exclude Thibault was that despite his impeccable classicism, he wasn't leading-man material physically or temperamentally. :dunno: 

Thibault said years ago in an interview with either Dance Magazine or Pointe that the company management thought he looked like a peasant!

I still feel overwhelming sadness when I think of Thibault's treatment.  His first full length role was as Basilio and half the London regulars had got on the Eurostar for the mattinee with Clement Crisp and John Percival sitting together in the front row of the stalls.  Extraordinary ovation at the end with the audience chanting Manu!, Manu!  His popularity was as great as his neglect by the Opera.  One of the greatest dancers I've ever had the privilege to watch.