This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT-Segerstrom partnership announced

"American Ballet Theatre (ABT) and Segerstrom Center for the Arts have formed a three-year partnership that names ABT the Official Dance Company of Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The details include the co-presented production of The Nutcracker and world and West Coast premieres and engagements each spring through 2024."

https://www.scfta.org/Center-Connection/February-2022/ABT-partnership.aspx?

It appears Segerstrom will continue to be the site of some ABT premieres. The announcement includes this:

"In March 2023, ABT will return to Segerstrom Center, this time with the North American premiere of Like Water For Chocolate, based on the best-selling book by Laura Esquival. Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon , this will be a co-production with The Royal Ballet."

Time for ABT to make like the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1957 and relocate permanently to southern California. 😉

Does ABT's presence in the LA area impact Colleen Neary's Los Angeles Ballet at all? Los Angeles Ballet is a small company as it is. (It's most recent (pre-COVID) form 990 filing shows revenues of $3.63 million against expenditures of $3.37 million.) Or is the LA metropolitan area so big and sprawling that there's room for both?

Replying to miliosr: As a Southern California native, I would love to have ABT  located here. They have a venue in the Segerstrom. But like the Dodgers in 1957, they have a complete presence in NYC , after 42 years. What they don’t have is a permanent venue. So my feelings are mixed about this. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:41 PM, miliosr said:

Time for ABT to make like the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1957 and relocate permanently to southern California. 😉

Does ABT's presence in the LA area impact Colleen Neary's Los Angeles Ballet at all? Los Angeles Ballet is a small company as it is. (It's most recent (pre-COVID) form 990 filing shows revenues of $3.63 million against expenditures of $3.37 million.) Or is the LA metropolitan area so big and sprawling that there's room for both?

That is a great question you ask. I live here in Los Angeles and the Segerstrom Center is in a different county which is about 1.5 hours south of Los Angeles. Luckily, the Los Angeles Ballet will probably not see a lag in ticket sales at all.

Segerstrom is only about 40-45 miles from Los Angeles, but in Southern California that can mean anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on traffic. ABT has done their Nutcracker and usually one other performance every other year for the past five years without having any noticeable impact on Los Angeles Ballet. Honestly getting people to drive from one side of LA to the other is difficult enough, let alone regularly driving to Orange County.

7 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

Segerstrom is only about 40-45 miles from Los Angeles, but in Southern California that can mean anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on traffic. ABT has done their Nutcracker and usually one other performance every other year for the past five years without having any noticeable impact on Los Angeles Ballet. Honestly getting people to drive from one side of LA to the other is difficult enough, let alone regularly driving to Orange County.

Southern California has a population of about 24 million, although it depends on where you think SoCal starts: https://worldpopulationreview.com/regions/southern-california-population

The bigger problem is the dreadfully inadequate public transportation. And if you have a car, you're looking at hours on overcrowded freeways to get anywhere. I lived in SoCal in various locations for 25+ years. When I saw a notice of an interesting performance or exhibition, my first thought was always: how many hours will I have to spend on the freeways to get there.  Segerstrom draws from a different geographic region than LA Ballet. If more performances inspire more audience members, it will be a plus for everybody.