This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Suspends Remainder of 2020 Season

I really hate to post this, but SFB has posted to their FB page that the remainder of the 2020 Season has been suspended.  I am sure that it was a difficult decision, but even if the company were allowed to return on April 7 (?), that would only be one week to get Jewels ready.  Here is the post:  

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Is it just me, or was there no mention of donation/receiving credit for Program 6?

I hope Tomasson moves The Seasons to 2021 season - that was supposed to have been a co-production.

I also did not get an email allowing the choice of a donation/receiving credit for Program 6, as I have for four of the other programs.  

2 hours ago, Helene said:

I've loved Frances Chung since she was the standout in the Concerto Barocco corps (and I did the process of elimination wrong and mistook her for someone else), but that video made me smile more than I have in a month.  What a baby!

File it under too cute.  ;)

1 hour ago, Josette said:

I also did not get an email allowing the choice of a donation/receiving credit for Program 6, as I have for four of the other programs.  

OK, thanks Josette.

Posted on the SFB website:  https://www.sfballet.org/a-message-regarding-the-covid-19-virus/

UPDATE: MARCH 17, 2020

With the health and safety of our patrons, community, artists, and workforce as our first priority, San Francisco Ballet remains responsive to changing conditions surrounding COVID-19.

In compliance with the City of San Francisco’s March 16 public health order requiring all residents in six counties to stay home starting Tuesday, March 17 through Tuesday, April 7 except for essential needs, I want to share with you that unfortunately, San Francisco Ballet has suspended all remaining performances of the 2020 Season. This includes Jewels (April 15 – 21) and Romeo & Juliet (May 1 – 10). This decision follows previous announcements confirming the suspension of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Program 05, and Program 06 (March 7 – April 5) due to the limitation of public gatherings through April 30th. This suspension also includes all public education and special events that were previously scheduled for March and part of April.

During this time, we will continue to provide updates via email, as well as on our website and social media channels. Please note: due to the closure of our offices, SF Ballet Ticket and Patron Services will not be available by phone, but will be available for your inquiries via email at tickets@sfballet.org.

All of us at San Francisco Ballet are deeply touched by the outpouring of concern and support from so many of you. Please know that during these extraordinary times, we are exploring ways to stay connected with our valued patrons, and remain in close discussion with the arts sector to find ways we can bring live performances back to the community.

TICKET HOLDERS OF CANCELED PERFORMANCES

For those of you who have missed, or will miss, your performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Program 05, Program 06, Jewels, and/or Romeo & Juliet, we are happy to offer you two options:

• We sincerely hope you will consider donating your tickets back to SF Ballet as a tax-deductible contribution. In this crisis, we need your support more than ever. If you have already donated or requested a credit for your tickets, you do not need to make a selection again, thank you.
  • You may opt to receive a credit for the face value of your ticket(s). This credit may be used toward the 2021 Season, through May 9, 2021. Please note this does not include Nutcracker or special event related performances. Please click the button below and complete the form.

In addition, Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson wants to be sure that our valued patrons do not miss out on what is truly a magnificent production – therefore, we are happy to inform you that A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be included as part of the 2021 Repertory Season.

8 hours ago, Josette said:

I DID receive an email for Program 6, almost immediately after they announced it was cancelled.  My ticket was through a CYO subscription.

However I have not received anything specifically for Jewels yet.  Those tickets were add-ons to my subscription.

Atlanta Ballet has cancelled their upcoming Giselle--scheduled for this month originally--but has said they plan to present it in May instead (in place of a previously planned mixed bill). I think SFB's announcement is the more clear-eyed one. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Atlanta Ballet has cancelled their upcoming Giselle--scheduled for this month originally--but has said they plan to present it in May instead (in place of a previously planned mixed bill). I think SFB's announcement is the more clear-eyed one. Unfortunately.

It really all depends on how the local and state governments are handling things. The SF Bay Area is considered to be one of the "hotspots" for the virus outbreak, so drastic measures are being taken now to try to keep hospitals and clinics from being overwhelmed. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a rural vs metropolitan, and a red state vs blue state thing going on with these protective measures. But viruses care little about our human grievances. It looks to me like things are going to get worse before they get better...

On 3/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, Helene said:

I've loved Frances Chung since she was the standout in the Concerto Barocco corps (and I did the process of elimination wrong and mistook her for someone else), but that video made me smile more than I have in a month.  What a baby!

Oh, me too! So very, very precious to watch, in so many ways. Brought some sunshine into my heart. 

On 3/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, sf_herminator said:

SFB had a live stream of virtual ballet class led by Felipe Diaz.  Not sure how long the link will be up, but check it out: 

This is great. Some may be learning to use the software for the first time.  😉

For the record, the dancers that I could identify in this class are:

Felipe Diaz (leader)
Leili Rackow
Wei Wang
Tina LeBlanc
Esteban Hernandez with Kamryn Baldwin?
Yuan Yuan Tan
Gabriela Gonzalez
Kimberly Marie Olivier
Jen Stahl
Cavan Conley
Jahan Frantziskonis
Mongo Buriad (piano)
Misa Kuranaga
Sasha De Sola
Madison Keesler
Lleyton Ho (apprentice)
Three dancers ??? [Screen name is 561230] Bianca Teixeira, Lucas Erni, Estéban Cuadrado, maybe. 😉
Jasmine Jimison
Joshua Price
Sarah Van Patten (Greiwe)
Carmela Mayo and maybe Swane Messaoudi?
Thamires Chuvas
Tiit Helimets
Joseph Walsh

With appearances by various dogs, cats and SVP's newest baby.
I don't know everyone's roommate/partner situations to help me identify a few people, but maybe someone else knows?

Edited by pherank

San Francisco Classical Voice posted an interview with Helgi Tomasson recently that discusses the 'return to work' - how it will likely happen:

https://www.sfcv.org/events-calendar/artist-spotlight/helgi-tomasson-on-managing-sf-ballets-challenging-present-and-his

'Tomasson envisions bringing in dancers in small groups for company class, a daily event when the company of 72 dancers is at work. Long lines at the barre obviously won’t be happening. “We have five practice rooms. Maybe we could have five classes of eight or 10 people,” he said, and they could go first into their dressing rooms, then into a room to stretch — essential before class — and then into another studio, with time for cleaning the rooms in between the arrival of each group. “Maybe the doctors would say, ‘do it otherwise,’” he mused. “I have to wait until the city tells me I can do this.”

Tomasson hopes to be able to meet with Mayor London Breed and her staff in a couple of weeks to lay out his plan. Whatever comes next, he said, it’s still going to be hard for dancers, “used to the big studio, moving across the floor, jumping, spinning ... not yet.” Then too there are partnering issues, “supporting and lifting the ladies. Can you do that with masks? Whatever they throw at us, we will be ready, be flexible.”'