This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2020 Miscellaneous

11 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Maybe they'll bring "Scotch Symphony" back (as they did it at the 2018 Balanchine Festival and last year's Stern Grove Festival). 

I imagine Tomasson will try to stick with his original program theme.
It's going to have to be something the dancers can dive into without any added stress. So I'm guessing it will be a contemporary work that's been danced in the last 2 years.

All we can do here is speculate as to what SFB knew and when.  Only a handful of people in management and an attorney or two would have all information.  I hope that I do not have to sit through Scotch Symphony on Feb. 11.  I would expect that Scarlett would get paid his royalties despite the pulling of Hummingbird.  

I wonder if Scarlett was scheduled for a visit to oversee final rehearsals. That would have made for an easy decision. But now that there's a lot of publicity, that alone could drive the decision. Still, NYCB hasn't jettisoned Martin's ballets for those reasons (although the investigation absolved him of wrongdoing). 

23 minutes ago, pherank said:
39 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Maybe they'll bring "Scotch Symphony" back (as they did it at the 2018 Balanchine Festival and last year's Stern Grove Festival). 

I imagine Tomasson will try to stick with his original program theme.
It's going to have to be something the dancers can dive into without any added stress. So I'm guessing it will be a contemporary work that's been danced in the last 2 years.

Good point. I feel like most of what's been danced in the past years has been repeated ad naseum. Crossing my fingers for a surprise or something out of the box!

12 minutes ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

I'm hoping a Justin Peck work comes back!  His work would certainly fit with the theme of the program.

If it's Peck, it would have to be In the Countenance of Kings.  Both Hurry Up We're Dreaming and Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes were performed in the 2018 AND 2019 seasons.  Generally works are not performed three years in a row.  Kings premiered in 2016 and was brought back in 2017, so it is possible it could be a piece that could come back.

Looks like they may not announce the third piece ahead of time, and it could vary from program to program (am I reading this right?).

DIRECTOR’S CHOICE

For each performance of Program 2, Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson curates an exciting selection of works featuring a variety of artists from the Company. Full program information will be included on the website as it becomes available, and will be in casting inserts for each individual performance.

2 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Looks like they may not announce the third piece ahead of time, and it could vary from program to program (am I reading this right?).

DIRECTOR’S CHOICE

For each performance of Program 2, Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson curates an exciting selection of works featuring a variety of artists from the Company. Full program information will be included on the website as it becomes available, and will be in casting inserts for each individual performance.

Here's that surprise you ordered.  ;)

I'm going down second weekend of the program 2/3 overlap, and glad I only bought one ticket to program 2 on the 22nd.   Sounds like an SFB grab-bag. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the gala pieces again: Foreshadow, For Pixie, pdd from Bells.  But I will mind seeing Helgi's "filler" pieces.

Edited by seattle_dancer
Fixed typo

The whole situation isn’t ideal, but I trust it’s the right call to pull Hummingbird out. SFBallet has enough talent that I’m sure whatever they perform will be wonderful.

If it’ll just be a grab bag of pieces, fingers crossed for a Danielle Rowe work to make it! I’ve still never seen her work but I’ve heard great things. 

With reference to the football Super Bowl (the SF 49ers taking part this year), Mathilde Froustey posted this short video regarding the athletic challenges of the ballet dancer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8EydmEHN4c/

Wait for the end of the video ! It’s so great to see the whole country getting together to watch and celebrate the game today but I wish people would also recognize how athletic and fun ballet is.
No sure any football player can balance on his toes after dancing almost non stop for 2h30 long ! 😉
But maybe @49ers can prove me wrong ! 😁😎

Edited by pherank

Interesting that Joffrey Ballet has not changed its scheduled performances of Liam Scarlett's Vespertine in Berkeley in early March.   Ashley Wheater,  who was a wonderful dancer, has been a very effective director for the Joffrey, and is simply a nice guy,  has close ties with SFB and trained at the Royal Ballet School. 

40 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

For some reason, company members have been rehearsing off-site at LINES and at The Garage. The clip above with Sasha is at LINES.

https://www.sfballet.org/discover/staff/

Lisa Giannone, owner of The Garage, is also the company's "Off-site Physical Therapy & Conditioning Classes".

Froustey has worked with Giannone off and on for a number of years. Nice to see that Lisa has official status with SFB. I'm not sure if Jaime Diaz acts as a sub-contractor at the fitness studio, or exactly how that works.

The SFB website is currently running a banner that they are looking for a principal dancer. I wouldn't have guessed that given that we seem to have a large group of first rate talents. I really hope this doesn't mean that we're losing one of our injured dancers.

**San Francisco Ballet seeks a male principal dancer with exceptional partnering skills and strong classical training. Candidates must be versatile and accomplished with significant professional company experience that includes both classical and contemporary repertory. Preferred height is 6’ and above.

Auditions will be scheduled for qualified candidates on an individual basis. To be considered, please email auditions@sfballet.org with CV or resume; head shot and dance photos; and links to performance footage.

Edited by pherank
37 minutes ago, pherank said:

The SFB website is currently running a banner that they are looking for a principal dancer. I wouldn't have guessed that given that we seem to have a large group of first rate talents. I really hope this doesn't mean that we're losing one of our injured dancers.

**San Francisco Ballet seeks a male principal dancer with exceptional partnering skills and strong classical training. Candidates must be versatile and accomplished with significant professional company experience that includes both classical and contemporary repertory. Preferred height is 6’ and above.

Auditions will be scheduled for qualified candidates on an individual basis. To be considered, please email auditions@sfballet.org with CV or resume; head shot and dance photos; and links to performance footage.

Darn! I was so pleased that Aaron Robison had rejoined the company and hope his injury wasn't career-ending!