This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2020 Miscellaneous

Ballet Shop now online!!

As a volunteer, I worked in the gift shop for Saturday evening performances.  This is one of the things I miss with COVID-19.  All proceeds from the shop go back to San Francisco Ballet.  But now, the shop is online!!  Here is the link:  https://shop.sfballet.org/.  There was also an announcement on FB:  

I hope that you will consider visiting the shop online.

Apparently SFB Orchestra Assistant Conductor Ming Luke has been interviewing people from the dance and Classical music worlds:

http://mingluke.com/musical-pointes

Still to come:

Romeo and Juliet
Saturday, Sept 26th 12:00pm PDT
Ermanno Florio, Music Director Houston Ballet; Principal Guest Conductor, Het Nationale Ballet
Sofiane Sylve, Principal and Ballet Mistress, Dresden Semperoper Ballett
Register here

The Winter’s Tale
October 3rd, 12:00pm PDT
David Briskin, Music Director and Principal Conductor, National Ballet of Canada
Lauren Cuthbertson, Principal, Royal Ballet
Register here

Nutcracker
Inner secrets of a holiday favorite
October 10th, 12:00pm PDT
Martin West, Music Director and Principal Conductor, San Francisco Ballet
Register here

Not sure where to post this. As SFB regulars know, Val Caniparoli, their resident choreographer, also does guest work for other companies. Colorado Ballet just posted a clip of the piece he made for them in 2013, In Pieces, with music by Paul Rudner. I've seen this now many times and it grows on you. Thought you might be interested:

Caniparoli choreographed a new work for PNB  in 2009 called "The Seasons" to the Glazunov score.  It was one of the last original neoclassical ballets commissioned by PNB.  According to the Seattle Times review, it was the fifth Caniparoli ballet PNB performed, but, I'm not sure whether any of the other four except Lambarena was choreographed specifically for PNB.

47 minutes ago, California said:

Not sure where to post this. As SFB regulars know, Val Caniparoli, their resident choreographer, also does guest work for other companies. Colorado Ballet just posted a clip of the piece he made for them in 2013, In Pieces, with music by Paul Rudner. I've seen this now many times and it grows on you. Thought you might be interested:

Technically speaking, Caniparoli is one of the three designated Principal Character Dancers at SFB, while Yuri Possokhov is the Choreographer in Residence. But Caniparoli has been creating ballets for many different companies on the side (including SFB). Lambarena and Ibsen’s House have been performed multiple times as I recall.

12 hours ago, pherank said:

Technically speaking, Caniparoli is one of the three designated Principal Character Dancers at SFB, while Yuri Possokhov is the Choreographer in Residence. But Caniparoli has been creating ballets for many different companies on the side (including SFB). Lambarena and Ibsen’s House have been performed multiple times as I recall.

Colorado Ballet did Possokhov's Firebird in 2017 and, from a little Googling, it appears it's quite popular with smaller/regional companies. I wasn't crazy about it, especially the hideous costuming. https://www.coloradoballet.org/company-repetoire/firebird

In 2014, Colorado did the Tetley Firebird (which ABT had acquired for Baryshnikov in the 70s) and I much preferred that. I have no idea why they changed. I always wonder if the cost of royalties and costume/set rentals ends up being decisive in these decisions. 

Recent Misa Kuranaga post:

"#fnnch is unveiling a limited-edition, tutu-wearing “Ballet Bear” in honor of SF Ballet’s 88th Season. Half of the sales go to support SF Ballet's COVID testing for dancers to rehearse and film this Season's digital captures. Don't miss your chance to snag fnnch’s work (it always sells out!) on sale Mon, Feb 8 at 5 pm PST at fnnch’s store."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLAj8S4nL0V/

3 hours ago, pherank said:

I've been wondering what the company has been working on at this time. But what is Blake Works intended for?

Maybe for 2022 season (which I fervently hope will be in the theater, at least part of it).  Since they likely don’t need to rehearse multiple casts for this season, it seems like a good bet they would be working on next year’s ballets.  New seasons are usually announced in April, although with the uncertainty around pretty much everything these days, we might have to be patient.  But I really hope we’ll see the Forsythe, who’s one of my favorites.

7 hours ago, PeggyR said:

Maybe for 2022 season (which I fervently hope will be in the theater, at least part of it).  Since they likely don’t need to rehearse multiple casts for this season, it seems like a good bet they would be working on next year’s ballets.  New seasons are usually announced in April, although with the uncertainty around pretty much everything these days, we might have to be patient.  But I really hope we’ll see the Forsythe, who’s one of my favorites.

Nothing wrong with starting early, of course. I was wondering if maybe there was going to be some kind of socially distanced Stern Grove Festival (is that even possible?).

I like the look of the Forsythe (as previewed on YouTube) but I don't know a lot about it. It's the music he chooses that I often have issue with. But that's neither here nor there.