This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2020 Miscellaneous

SFB Instagram posting:

"This just in: We’re thrilled to announce a multifaceted partnership with San Francisco Conservatory of Music that will provide year-round housing for SF Ballet School students in @sfconservmusic’s brand-new Bowes Center as well as cross-disciplinary study for music and dance students, and new collaborations in choreography and composition."
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_hln0DQNB/

Press Release:
https://www.sfballet.org/discover/press-center/press-releases/release/san-francisco-ballet-school-partners-with-the-san-francisco-conservatory-of-music-introducing-new-sf-ballet-school-student-residence-at-193-million-bowes-center/

"Beginning in August 2020, the partnership marks an unprecedented model of collaboration among arts training institutions in the nation, offering a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to education for students of both schools. Health and wellness programs, movement classes for Conservatory students, music classes for SFB School students, and new collaborations in choreography and composition are among the highlights of the partnership. The residence, which houses up to 52 students, provides enhanced safety and convenience to SF Ballet School’s studios and the War Memorial Opera House; access to new performance and rehearsal spaces; a dining facility; and an overall improved quality of life for SFB School students, including those in the intermediate levels."

This issue came up previously, so I wanted to mention that currently, when an SFB Instagram post states, "Link in bio for details", clicking the link at the top of the SFB Instagram page [ linkin.bio/sfballet ] will take you to an intermediary page with thumbnail images that match the images from the Instagram home page. Clicking on the post's corresponding thumbnail image will send you to the correct SFB website page for that particular posting. That's how SFB is handling the fact that Instagram won't allow outside links in posts (or a list of links at the top of the page). I hope that makes sense.

Today's e-mail from SFB:

Last chance to save your spot at Ballet Basics and get the ultimate glimpse into life behind the curtain at San Francisco Ballet. 
Start at the barre in our studios with SF Ballet Corps de Ballet dancer Ludmila Bizalion, find out where ballet has been (and where it's going), meet new Corps de Ballet dancer Bianca Teixeira, and pay a special visit to the SF Ballet Costume Shop. You'll leave equipped with all the tools to enjoy our performances to the fullest. 
It's all happening this Sunday, January 12 from 2-5 pm. Tickets are $50 each ($45 if you're an SF Ballet subscriber or donor).

https://www.sfballet.org/productions/ballet-basics/

Yuan Yuan Tan begins her 25th year with SFB:

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/dance/yuan-yuan-tan-goes-on-and-on-extending-her-ballet-record-for-longevity

'Tan will dance the lead role of Tatiana in Balanchine’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” which has not been performed by the company since 1986. She will also do “Diamonds” from Balanchine’s three-ballet suite “Jewels.” Her performance in the matinee on April 19, will be followed by a 25th anniversary dinner in her honor at the Palace Hotel. The public is invited.'

As I mentioned previously about Sofiane Sylve, we are running out of chances to see these great dancers (both of whom still dance on a remarkably high level). Make the effort this season!

MER363b779294bb0961862ac2ad0ba48_tan0112

Edited by pherank
1 hour ago, pherank said:

At least you have SFB's non appearance on World Ballet Day to look forward to!

I really enjoyed watching when they participated last time. Sad that it seems like a one-off.

The no-image-capture-at-work thing seems odd, especially for an arts org continously trying to connect with an ever-growing tech-savvy SF audience. 

2 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

I really enjoyed watching when they participated last time. Sad that it seems like a one-off.

The no-image-capture-at-work thing seems odd, especially for an arts org continously trying to connect with an ever-growing tech-savvy SF audience. 

SFB participated in WBD broadcasts a number of times and it was all worthwhile , imo. There's been no better way to market to people living on the other side of the world.
The new policy regarding at-work images is simply going to be a problem for SFB. And may not go away anytime soon. I'm definitely curious about how this affects the dancer's ability to record their work - everyone wants a quality video resume. I almost want to say that ballet is uniquely hampered by these kinds of copyrights, rules and regulations but I wonder if there are other art forms that are just as hamstrung when it comes to self-promotion and marketing.

I can see both sides on the issue, but am biased towards the new rule. Video-ing may disrupt classes and rehearsals and dancers' concentration. It might make nearby dancers, who don't want to be filmed in the background, uncomfortable. Whose workplace is it might be the question.

Also not sure that the quality of many of the videos would fit into a resume and be able to be cut together and make sense. Portrait format, which most seemed to be captured in, seems too confining, while landscape, which is more natural, is harder to control as a far as extraneous details and empty space etc.

And maybe everyone wants to take a tech breather for a while.

I just received my SFB 2020 Season Guide in the mail. This volume has the updated photos of the principal dancers now seen on the website (photos by Erik Tomasson). All attractive action portraits - I particularly like the one of Tiit Helimets for his great costume coupled with the mid-air pose. ET did well with this set of images.

MKT19SPH_ET2563_EB-large.jpg

7 minutes ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Wow, SF Ballet just emailed me to say they will be replacing Hummingbird with something to be announced. That was quick.

One of the Unbound Festival works would probably be the "easiest" choice (given that they would remain in muscle memory). I'm not fond of knee-jerk reactions, myself. Pulling the Scarlett ballet at this late date over "allegations" makes no real sense to me.

It does feel like a knee-jerk reaction, though it's being reported that Liam Scarlett was suspended by the Royal Ballet way back in August, so maybe SF ballet had previous knowledge of the allegations?

This is all super disappointing, especially in the wake of other high profile ballet departures, like Martins and Gomes.  

I loved so many of Scarlett's works, especially Frankenstein.  I wonder what role those works will have in SF Ballet's future, assuming they invested lots and lots of money into such a large scale work like Frankenstein.  I'd hope his work could live on separately from the things Scarlett has done, but I'm not sure how easily those things can be separated.

It feels like a "knee-jerk" reaction to me because SFB acted after the issue became viral on social media. Did they know about the allegations and suspension 4+ months ago? Then why not quietly remove the ballet from the program list then? It's not as if they haven't changed programming before.

I thought SFB should have brought back Die Toteninsel rather than perform Hummingbird, yet again. But that's just me.

Edited by pherank

I think the Times of London report on Wednesday  took the story out of the social media level and gave it more basis. Then the New York Times followed with their summary this morning. Apparently more details from the inquiry have emerged recently. One of the students is quoted in the Daily Mail article linked below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7945375/Royal-Ballet-choreographer-Liam-Scarlett-suspended.html