This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2020 Swan Lake Detroit

In reply to Stuben’s last comment, I agree with you. During the last few years when Irina, Paloma, and Xiomara were principals, I had a subscription to the spring season and I took out an annual membership to ABT as a contribution. Although each had a different style, each could dance the major roles exquisitely, and even if one of them was a last-minute substitution for an injured principal, I was never disappointed. And look how each was ushered out. Since then I have only purchased an occasional ticket. To my mind, the last of the great ballerinas of that time is Gillian Murphy, and I look forward to her return and plan to select one ballet to enjoy her performance. As for the rest, in my mind today the company can’t hold a candle to NYCB, where I subscribe and contribute. Just my opinion as a very long time balletgoer.

7 hours ago, CTballetfan said:

In reply to Stuben’s last comment, I agree with you. During the last few years when Irina, Paloma, and Xiomara were principals, I had a subscription to the spring season and I took out an annual membership to ABT as a contribution. Although each had a different style, each could dance the major roles exquisitely, and even if one of them was a last-minute substitution for an injured principal, I was never disappointed. And look how each was ushered out. Since then I have only purchased an occasional ticket. To my mind, the last of the great ballerinas of that time is Gillian Murphy, and I look forward to her return and plan to select one ballet to enjoy her performance. As for the rest, in my mind today the company can’t hold a candle to NYCB, where I subscribe and contribute. Just my opinion as a very long time balletgoer.

Likewise my sentiments and with my ticket purchases, they own the right as "Prima" ballerinas, and IMHO there isn't anyone who can hold a candle now. I just have this strange feeling that the training/coaching just isn't there any longer. I miss those great days 😞 let's not forget Marcelo.... not knowing what happened, yet I see he is dancing with others, so I have to wonder and since the principal men category is too slim for my taste, and even though the new soloists are showing promise, and technically quite good, the emotions and connection just isn't there for me, as it was during the days of Marcelo, Max and many others who have left.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, nanushka said:

I haven't read the article in careful detail, but has there been a suggestion that she's shifting her focus away from classical ballet? My sense is that she's always been interested in doing both.

I read through the article, and I don't get any sense that she's definitively leaving classical roles behind. I interpreted it more as that she's broadening her horizons, and perhaps taking on more outside projects that aren't classical ballet (a la Sara Mearns). 

Edited by fondoffouettes
49 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Very glad to see Forster cast. With a Siegfried and Albrecht debut coming, is it possible he’ll be promoted?

Still surprised no Copeland.

I'm thrilled for Forster, and yes, I think it's possible he could be promoted. ABT has shown that it's willing to promote dancers to principals at relatively late stages of their careers. I think it's pretty clear by now that Hammoudi, Gorak, Scott and Zhurbin will almost certainly remain in the soloist rank for the remainder of their ABT careers. I'm afraid the same may be true of Hoven, based on how he's been cast in recent years, despite his often excellent dancing. Royal remains a "maybe" when it comes to principal potential, but I haven't been particularly impressed by him lately. That leaves Ahn, Bell and Forster as the ones with the most principal potential, at least to my mind.  

13 minutes ago, abatt said:

The announcement of the Spring season should be very interesting.  It seems that there will be many debuts in important lead roles.  Anyone know what is happening with Hammoudi.  He seems to have disappeared.

Didn't he injure himself at the end of the previous Met season? I remember him being replaced in something. Not sure if that may be related or not. It's certainly true, as well, that he went from being given what seemed like endless chances to prove himself, to being barely cast at all. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
4 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'm thrilled for Forster, and yes, I think it's possible he could be promoted. ABT has shown that it's willing to promote dancers to principals at relatively late stages of their careers. I think it's pretty clear by now that Hammoudi, Gorak, Scott and Zhurbin will almost certainly remain in the soloist rank for the remainder of their ABT careers. I'm afraid the same may be true of Hoven, based on how he's been cast in recent years, despite his often excellent dancing. Royal remains a "maybe" when it comes to principal potential, but I haven't been particularly impressed by him lately. That leaves Ahn, Bell and Forster as the ones with the most principal potential, at least to my mind.  

Didn't he injure himself at the end of the previous Met season? I remember him being replaced in something. Not sure if that may be related or not. It's certainly true, as well, that he went from being given what seemed like endless chances to prove himself, to being barely cast at all. 

I basically agree.

I think Hammoudi and Gorak were promoted with the thought they did have principal potential, but they haven't shown themselves up to it.

I feel Scott was promoted as more of a demi-character dancer like Salstein and never intended for principal.

Zhurbin does so many of the important character roles, I think he earned his promotion in recognition of that fact.

I also thought Hammoudi injured himself. He was at Saturday's matinee performance in the audience.

6 minutes ago, aurora said:

I also thought Hammoudi injured himself. He was at Saturday's matinee performance in the audience.

Did Skylar dance two straight triple bills on Saturday? I know she danced all three works that evening, and she had a story up that suggested she may have done the same that afternoon. If so, that’s nuts! But she’s amazing.

1 minute ago, nanushka said:

Did Skylar dance two straight triple bills on Saturday? I know she danced all three works that evening, and she had a story up that suggested she may have done the same that afternoon. If so, that’s nuts! But she’s amazing.

Nope because she wasn't in Apollo to open the afternoon. She was in one of the 2 middle pieces (the Tippet) but I think that was it. Still a very full day!

8 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Very glad to see Forster cast. With a Siegfried and Albrecht debut coming, is it possible he’ll be promoted?

Hoping so much for this! I’ve always thought he and Schevchenko would be dream casting and hope Detroit goes well for them.