This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Podcast Interview with Sarah Lane

I came across this wonderful podcast, “Listen, Ladies,” featuring an interview with Sarah Lane, which was taped back in August, not long after her promotion to principal.  The podcast, which is free on iTunes, was produced by the online journal, “Women Across Frontiers,” and their magazine’s article “Meet Sarah Lane” contains text transcribed from a portion of the interview.  Lane is the first guest on the podcast, “Dancing with the Ladies” (8/14/17) (her interview lasts 30 minutes).  In addition to topics covered in the article, Lane also discusses working to maintain her focus and confidence, difficult lifts in Giselle, the cultural aspects of touring overseas, her evolved attitude toward social media, and – perhaps letting the cat out of the bag! – looking forward to her upcoming roles this spring in La Bayadere, Don Q, and Harlequinade!   Links to the article and podcast below. 

http://wafmag.org/2017/08/meet-sarah-lane-principal-dancer-american-ballet-theatre/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dancing-with-the-ladies/id1223800463?i=1000391012215&mt=2

That was so insightful, thank you for sharing. I appreciated her frankness, esp regarding guest artists and how that affected her confidence as well as the boredom that ensues while doing some of the same parts for 15 years before she was promoted to principal (she was a soloist for 10, but noted she had been doing some soloist roles since she was in the corps; as gorgeous as she was in peasant pas, I'm sure she's happy to have finally moved on from that role).And, I was surprised she mentioned DQ, but maybe that will be a good challenge for her to do something so against type.

Thank you laurel, I wouldn't have come across this podcast on my own. It was quite honest and insightful. She made an interesting point that some forms of entertainment, such as movies, have big advertising budgets. Movies have TV ads, trailers in movie theaters, and all kinds of promotionals that ballet can't afford. Dancers take up some of the slack by posting in social media.

I'm looking forward to her performances in principal roles. Interesting that Kevin M told her what roles he had in mind, last Aug. when she was promoted.

22 hours ago, laurel said:

I came across this wonderful podcast, “Listen, Ladies,” featuring an interview with Sarah Lane, which was taped back in August, not long after her promotion to principal.  The podcast, which is free on iTunes, was produced by the online journal, “Women Across Frontiers,” and their magazine’s article “Meet Sarah Lane” contains text transcribed from a portion of the interview.  Lane is the first guest on the podcast, “Dancing with the Ladies” (8/14/17) (her interview lasts 30 minutes).  In addition to topics covered in the article, Lane also discusses working to maintain her focus and confidence, difficult lifts in Giselle, the cultural aspects of touring overseas, her evolved attitude toward social media, and – perhaps letting the cat out of the bag! – looking forward to her upcoming roles this spring in La Bayadere, Don Q, and Harlequinade!   Links to the article and podcast below. 

http://wafmag.org/2017/08/meet-sarah-lane-principal-dancer-american-ballet-theatre/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dancing-with-the-ladies/id1223800463?i=1000391012215&mt=2

Which  role  is Lane going to do in Bayadere- Nikiya or Gamzatti?

On 10/15/2017 at 4:42 PM, nanushka said:

At least in the podcast she didn't specify which role.

She did say she'll do Giselle again, but didn't mention Juliet.

We'll have to wait and see about Juliet. IMO it would be perverse to have her do Don Q but not Juliet

10 hours ago, vipa said:

We'll have to wait and see about Juliet. IMO it would be perverse to have her do Don Q but not Juliet

Exactly. It would also be perverse if she doesn't get an O/O this year - after her poignant, beautiful performance last season subbing in at the last minute.

3 hours ago, abatt said:

Perverse is McKenzie's middle name,  so nothing he does would shock me at this point. 

It's true. But I think with Kotchetkova gone, we can probably count on a Sarah Lane Swan Lake, but who knows. 

Last year was the first time I got to see how powerful of a dramatic ballerina Lane can be, so it would truly be a shame if she doesn't get a Juliet. 

It's hard to imagine Lane as Gamzatti temperament-wise, though she'd certainly be up to the technical demands. I'd like to see Simkin take on Solor; maybe Lane could be his Nikiya. 

On 10/17/2017 at 12:38 PM, fondoffouettes said:

It's hard to imagine Lane as Gamzatti temperament-wise, though she'd certainly be up to the technical demands. I'd like to see Simkin take on Solor; maybe Lane could be his Nikiya. 

Isn't Simkin gone by the Spring season? I recall reading that he'll be in Berlin starting in January of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm curious to see who will fill the void as Lane's partners (it is a real shame because Simkin and Lane built so much momentum and magic together this past year). Obviously Herman, but he's getting to the age where he can't perform as often and without injury anymore. 

2 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

Isn't Simkin gone by the Spring season? I recall reading that he'll be in Berlin starting in January of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm curious to see who will fill the void as Lane's partners (it is a real shame because Simkin and Lane built so much momentum and magic together this past year). Obviously Herman, but he's getting to the age where he can't perform as often and without injury anymore. 

Simkin will be splitting his time between ABT and Berlin, and will be dancing in the Met season.