This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Member Blogs-Writing on Ballet

This is such a great idea -- can't wait to add these to my feed!

Would it also be okay for people to post links to other ballet blogs (including those not written by BA members) here, or is there another place where those sorts of recommendations are collected? I'd love to hear from others what they've found out there.

You're welcome to add links and a short description to other blogs, but since only those by professional critics are official sources, posts and entries can't be discussed on Ballet Alert!, just like content from other discussion boards cannot.

Thanks! It's really nice of the forum to let us post our blogs here.

My blog (http://itinerantballetomane.blogspot.com/) is called the Itinerant Balletomane because I get to travel a lot and watch ballet - lately there's been a lot of Boston (my home base) and New York, but next month I'm going to Moscow, so I'm going to review the Bolshoi and Stanislavsky, and next year I'll be based on Berlin, so hopefully I'll review many of the German companies.

Here's mine:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/

Mostly I share stuff I come across that I like, and post about my upcoming ballet trips and ballet appreciation courses, although sometimes, when I have time, I write at more length, e.g. reporting on the Sarasota Ballet's Ashton festival. I also post casting for National Ballet of Canada performances (in an easier-to-read format than the NBOC uses).

Wonderful! Katherine, I know about your great blog, but not these others. Mine is The Classical Girl at wwwtheclassicalgirl.com and I write about classical music as well as ballet-related stuff. As well, I review San Francisco Bay Area ballet performances for Bachtrack and link them up on my site. I also recently published a ballet novel, but I don't think this is the appropriate place to be leaving a link for that, so I'll just urge any interested readers to seek out the link and details of the novel at The Classical Girl.

And it's with particular pleasure that I see new names and sites on this thread. I've been blogging for almost 3 years, and I thought I knew the other dance bloggers. Pleased to meet you, others! :tiphat:

Interesting idea, but to someone who is more a reader than a blogger, would our rule against cross-posting prohibit posting a link in the relevant forum here - one where a certain company's spectators post, for example - when a blog is updated with something relevant? I also travel to see performances - well, if you live in Chicago like me, you already have reason to visit Florida in the wintertime - and I think people interested in dance, however scattered the places, would enjoy those additional comments.

Well I put myself through a regimen of 5 Nutcrackers in a week. My thoughts here:

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2015/12/nutcrackerthon-diaries-nutcracker.html

Golly! My Nutcrackering is less intense than yours this year, I'm spreading it out over multiple weeks.

If you enjoyed Fisher's "Nutcracker Nation," you might want to look at Lauren Kessler's "Raising the Barre." At 50+, Kessler decides that she wants to return to ballet training and sets a goal to perform a role in the Eugene Ballet's party scene. (disclosure -- I reviewed the book for a local paper) The project is partly dance-oriented, and partly a challenge to remain open to new experiences.

Golly! My Nutcrackering is less intense than yours this year, I'm spreading it out over multiple weeks.

If you enjoyed Fisher's "Nutcracker Nation," you might want to look at Lauren Kessler's "Raising the Barre." At 50+, Kessler decides that she wants to return to ballet training and sets a goal to perform a role in the Eugene Ballet's party scene. (disclosure -- I reviewed the book for a local paper) The project is partly dance-oriented, and partly a challenge to remain open to new experiences.

Thanks for making me aware of "Raising the Barre." Even with this intense Nutcrackering I managed to miss a few Nutcrackers . Oh well. Always next year. And now I'm thinking of buying the Berlin Ballet Nutcracker (Yuri Burlaka's reconstruction). Le sigh.

I don't know how relevant this is to the majority of BA users, since my blog isn't in English, but since I know there is/must be a few people on board who's from the motherland and can read it, I'll link to it anyway. If this isn't allowed, feel free to delete.

My blog has two purposes. I write reviews of performances by the RDB that I've attended (and in the future, there might be ballet DVD reviews as well), mostly these are just the Danish and a bit more polished versions of what I write in here. However, the main purpose of my website is to write short, autobiographical, philosophical musings about my "history" with ballet and how it's been an integral part of my ongoing healing process (I have bipolar disorder). It's proven a very effective method. A few times I've also posted Danish ballet-inspired fiction that I've written, a short story based on Swan Lake and the first chapters of a novel that takes its inspiration from La Sylphide, so far.

Link is here: http://svane-sange.dk