This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are the speediest ballet dancers?

In the latest Danceview Times, Nancy Dalva has a review of ABT' new run of Twyla Tharp's "In the Upper Room." (See today's

LINKS.)

During the course of the review she makes the following comment about two of the dancers, and about "speed" in ballet in general:

QUOTE:

Maria Riccetto and Laura Hidalgo take on the twinned ballerina roles as independent creatures, and in a much more modernist—shall we say Balanchinian?—mode. No visible preparations, and enough speed to get where they are going just a bit before they need to. This speed is a deep Tharpian necessity ...

Which dancers today, or in the past, are most gifted with this quality of speediness? -- getting "where they are going just a bit before they need to."

And, are there speedy dancers who are also at capable of profound dancing at more moderate or even adagio tempos?

Tina leBlanc, SO clear, and so fast, and able to modulate and phrase and place accents deftly in the midst of it all....

Patricia McBride

Kyra Nichols, for a big girl, is very fast.....

Antoinette Sibley was very fast, and like Sizova, she was little but moved large and with incredible freedom in the upper body......

Hey! I was gonna add Patty McBride! :P

Also Gelsey Kirkland.

And Ib Andersen.

FarrellFan, I am surprised you didn't mention your muse, who was pretty fast by most standards, but particularly for such a leggy dancer!

drb, I would have to take issue with your mention of Kistler. Even in her strongest, younger days, I often saw her struggling to keep up -- failing to fully develop a leg in the time given, fudging. Still, her fidelity to the music and her display of heart made these secondary.

Tina leBlanc, SO clear, and so fast, and able to modulate and phrase and place accents deftly in the midst of it all....

This is a quality I really prize. You have to be able to see what is going on, despite the speed. This kind of speed actually heightens one's awareness of the deteails of movement.

On the other hand, there are fast dancers who create something of a blur. This can be dramatic, even thrilling, but it hides more than it reveals.

At PNB now, I would say Carrie Imler. The strange thing is that she often doesn't look like she's moving quickly, because the preparations are invisible. Then another dancer in the same role will work very hard to do all of the steps, and you realize how fast Imler is. (She also has that Fred Astaire quality of having a still upper body, while her legs are doing something amazing.)

I agree about LeBlanc. She has the same quality.

At PNB now, I would say Carrie Imler.  The strange thing is that she often doesn't look like she's moving quickly, because the preparations are invisible. . .  [and she has] a still upper body, while her legs are doing something amazing.

You've just described Judith Fugate in her prime! Serene on top, and not looking rushed, but some pretty quick stepping of those feet. She did one Ballo della Regina in New York. I'm sorry I missed it :blink: , sorrier that she never did a second one. :wink:

The description of LeBlanc would also apply to Ashley Bouder. The specific part about the ability to "modulate and phrase and place accents" in the midst of the flow is probably the most distinctive thing about Bouder as well.

Interesting about this quality is that both LeBlanc and Bouder were trained at Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. Surely not a coincidence I'd guess.