This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Carla Korbes to Pacific Northwest Ballet

Well, it's in print: Carla Korbes is following her mentor Peter Boal to PNB, according to the interview with Gia Kourlas in Time Out New York. Korbes, who came to SAB and NYCB after Boal danced with her in Brazil, said she was plagued with injuries and an intestinal ailment during much of her time at NYCB. She said she didn't start feeling right until she got surgery after the Russia tour and is at full strength now. Korbes, who has a boyfriend in Seattle already (she says in the interview), is looking forward to possibly doing Diamonds in Seattle, coached by Suzanne Farrell.

I will miss her, but hope she has a wonderful career in Seattle (and that Peter Boal brings the company to NY often!).

Korbes. . . said she was plagued with injuries and an intestinal ailment during much of her time at NYCB. 

It's advisable to be careful about what one eats when in North America!

I'm sorry to see her go, too, but I hope she finds personal and professional satisfaction. And frequent tours with PNB to NYC!

I remember the first time I saw Korbes: as the Harp in FANFARE and I was just captivated by her beauty and the scope of her dancing: large yet lyrical. I remember when she replaced Kowroski in ORGANON and she was just magnificent, and also how beautifully she danced in HAIKU, ANCIENT AIRS, and as Titania. I was looking forward to watching her explore the NYCB repertoire but I guess our loss is Seattle's gain.

I'm glad I have that Diamond Project Gala on videotape so I can watch her in ANCIENT AIRS from time to time.

Does anyone know what rank she will be?

This may change with a new administration, but PNB has, in the past, been rather slow at making these announcements, if they're made at all. The first indication may be the printed program on opening night or the first sight of Korbes on the PNB website. (Which still lists Jonathan Porretta as a soloist, even though he was promoted to Principal this season.)

Does anyone know what rank she will be?

This may change with a new administration, but PNB has, in the past, been rather slow at making these announcements, if they're made at all. The first indication may be the printed program on opening night or the first sight of Korbes on the PNB website. (Which still lists Jonathan Porretta as a soloist, even though he was promoted to Principal this season.)

The article mentions that Peter Boal suggested that she might want to defer coming out to Seattle for a year in order to see how she might enjoy life as a soloist. In my reading, that suggests that she most likely will have to join her new company as a corps member. Of course, he may just have been referring to the experience of being an NYCB soloist, but, then again, this is all pure speculation. Undoubtedly she will have an opportunity to dance featured roles at PNB no matter her official rank.

Again, something that may change, but many dancers who were hired from other companies started as soloists for a year, and then were promoted to principal, although some have come in directly as principal dancers. Russell, who did PNB core casting -- choreographers for new works often got their choices -- said in Q&A's that she believed in giving the dancers roles that stretched them. As a former Saturday afternoon subscriber to NYCB, I loved seeing the "kids" get their chances in major roles.