This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Carmina Burana

What a great way to start the day. The local college radio station just completed their broadcast of Orff's "Carmina Burana" in its entirety. I remember about 3 to four years ago it seemed to be a very favorite work (perhaps more with small(er) regional companies?) upon which to choreograph a ballet. (kind of like "Dracula" - big for a while and then faded I suppose.)

Do you know of any ballet companies that still perform Carmina Burana? I'd really be interested in knowing what the libretto, underlying story, or the choreography's 'take' was on it. Did anyone have a favorite?

The "In trutina" section just seems so perfect for classical ballet. I wish I could choreograph - and I'd do it. :rolleyes:

Pacific Northwest Ballet also performs Carmina Burana by Kent Stowell. They are performing it this April (15 - 18 & 22 - 24), with Balanchine's Serenade. The main attraction is Ming Cho Lee's set, which features a giant wheel suspended above the stage, that is moved and tilted as the scenes change. The only parts I remember from years ago were the glorious singing by the soloist and chorus, a "pure" pas de deux by a couple in unitards, the closing movement of which is the signature pose of the ballet, and a wanton woman in red leading a dance with four men, one in a monk's robe.

The Washington Ballet performed "Carmina Burana" about a year and half ago. I think it was Septime Werbre's choreography. I am not sure but I think American Repretory Ballet performed it as well when Mr. Webre was director there. I am not certain of that though, but to this day I swear I saw a poster for "Carmina Burana" when I went to the Princeton Ballet studios once. Then again I could be losing my mind! :wub:

In Canada, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet will be performing "Carmina Burana" in March 04, choreography by Argentinean, Maurico Wainrot. It is a 55 minute piece with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchesta and singers. More info at www.rwb.org. It is on a mixed-bill with Nina Menon's "La Soif". In 2002, Carmina/La Soif set the highest attendance to date for the company's mixed bill performances. :P

Thanks so much to everyone that offered info. I wish I lived closer to some of these ballet companies (or could afford air travel - the expense AND the hassle). I remember a few years ago some of us 'BalletAlerters' discussed the "Showcase for the Arts" network - they show clips from symphony, opera, ballet. Kind of like an MTV for art lovers. Well, the programmers must read Ballet Alert. Saturday morning they began airing a sequence that included several Carmina clips with Smuin Ballet/SF's Camille Fishelle-Burke (sp?) performing the "In Trutina" section. Blessed be for stereo TV - with apologies to my neighbors.

Pacific Northwest Ballet also performs Carmina Burana by Kent Stowell.  ...  The main attraction is Ming Cho Lee's set, which features a giant wheel suspended above the stage, that is moved and tilted as the scenes change.  The only parts I remember from years ago were the glorious singing by the soloist and chorus, a "pure" pas de deux by a couple in unitards, the closing movement of which is the signature pose of the ballet, and a wanton woman in red leading a dance with four men, one in a monk's robe.

Ben Houk brought this version of the work to the Dallas/Fort Worth Ballet while he was artistic director there a few years ago, though I doubt they still perform it.

Guest MaddoxDancer

i know this may be of little help to you now, but the The Sacramento Ballet did carmina burana back in 2002. Heres a site that has a nice clip of them performing it. I hope this is atleast of some value to you

carmina burana

carmina burana happens to be my favoriate ballet, so i try to get as much information on it as possible.

PABallet performs John Butler's version of "Carmina Burana"

If I remember correctly, John Butler's version was the only one sanctioned by Orff. It's a powerful piece. I remember how it's sudden and dramatic dynamic range drove my poor audio engineer nearly insane. If there ever were an argument for defending live music over canned for dance, this is it.

I have seen the Orff/Butler piece performed by PA Ballet, more times than I can count and then I saw another company do it (I will not mention which), both to live music. Live music is a plus only when it it done well. Please for those of you out there who love this music, please, please, please only do this piece with a good ballet orchestra, a very good chorus and very good ballet conductor as PA Ballet did it back in the 1970s to date.

although i don't know when this version was done last, for those in new york, there is this film at the library available for viewing:

Filmed by Richard J. Carter of WTTW-Channel 11, Chicago, at a costumed rehearsal for the Jerome Robbins Archive on June 25, 1978 at the Ruth Page Foundation School of Dance.

Choreography: Ruth Page. Music: Carl Orff. Costumes: André Delfau. Performed by the Chicago Ballet.

CONTENTS. - Circle of life. Performed by Gerald James (Death), Gennadi Vostrikov (King), Cynthia Ann Roses (Prostitute), David Hough (Bishop), Lisa Andrus (Nun), and Jim Sutton (Beggar). - Primavera. Performed by Cynthia Ann Roses (Girl), Gregory Begley (Boy), Brian Kelly (Cupid), Gennadi Vostrikov (Perchen), Lisa Andrus and Mireille Leterrier (Two little girls), and ensemble. - The tavern. Performed by Suzanne Davis (Girl), David Hough (Boy), Mireille Leterrier (Swan), Susan Perry and Lisa Andrus (Two girls), and ensemble. - Court of love. Performed by Susan O'Leary (Amour), Nancy Onizuka (Girl), Richard Dickinson (Boy), Brian Kelly (Cupid), and ensemble. - Circle of life. Performed by Gerald James (Death) and ensemble.