This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Tchaikovsky Spectacular

When I sae Tchai pas at the recent NYCB gala, I remember that Veyette almost dropped Bouder during the first fishdive because she threw herself too far(the 2nd dive was good). I don't want anyone to get injured or anything but for this ballet I'd much prefer to see someone literally throwing herself off the stage than dsncing too cautiously. 

1 minute ago, alexL said:

When I sae Tchai pas at the recent NYCB gala, I remember that Veyette almost dropped Bouder during the first fishdive because she threw herself too far(the 2nd dive was good). I don't want anyone to get injured or anything but for this ballet I'd much prefer to see someone literally throwing herself off the stage than dsncing too cautiously. 

Yes, it's there in the music. You need to see her launch.

24 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Yes, it's there in the music. You need to see her launch.

Yes that would be the perfect word! I actually think Trenary could've been a better choice than Boylston for Tchai pas.

41 minutes ago, mimsyb said:

Well, one only has to look at the expansiveness of McBrides arms and upper body (as well as her legs) to see the difference.  Boylston dances too much internally still.  But I'm not sure she even has the upper body openness needed to do this work.  And Mischa, even though small, dances so big!!  I always feel as if this work should look "dangerous", and I use that term in the sense that the dancing should look as if it may not happen, but always does in the very best way imaginable!   Videos are hard to judge by at times, but it seems to me the tempos in the video were more correct.  Last night they seemed to lag a bit, as if to suit the dancers inability to "dance on top of the notes".   I wanted a "rush" where there was none. 

Exactly, Tschai pas should be dangerous and exciting, not dull and boring.  Too many memories of great performances of the past made me cringe during most of last night's performance.

Agree with fond of fouettes that the Ratmansky was uncharacteristically gimmicky.  It is definitely far from his best work.  Here's hoping that his new ballet in the fall is a winner.

8 minutes ago, abatt said:

Agree with fond of fouettes that the Ratmansky was uncharacteristically gimmicky.

My favorite bit was when they were all in a huddle at upstage center, near the end, giving themselves the heimlich.

Edited by nanushka
5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

In tomorrow evenings program, Cornejo has been replaced by Gorak in Aurora's Wedding (partnering Trenary).

I'm wondering whether Cornejo can perform on Sat evening because Gorak certainly can't perform both Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux and Sleeping Beauty back to back. 

11 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Does anyone know when Monday night's performance ended?  Also, how many intermissions did they have?  The ballets are different from tonight, but it may give me an idea as to when tonight's performance ends.  Thanks.

They did two intermissions -- one after Mozartiana and the other after Tchai Pas. By the second intermission, it was around 9:00 (I didn't stay for the last piece).

I think they'll definitely follow a similar pattern tonight -- one after Mozartiana and one ofter the middle two pas de deux. If you want an exact run time, you could always call the box office. I'm pretty sure I used to do that before they posted run times and intermissions on the website, and they always seemed to have the info readily available.

18 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Does anyone know when Monday night's performance ended?  Also, how many intermissions did they have?  The ballets are different from tonight, but it may give me an idea as to when tonight's performance ends.  Thanks.

Mozartiana is 25-30 (depending on tempi); the two PDDs combined should be 25. So with two intermissions, Aurora's Wedding should start a little after 9. It's a little unclear exactly how much of Ratmansky's original Act 3 they'll cut out, and there are two pieces being inserted. I'd say a good estimate is you'll be on your way around 10.

Thank you fondoffouettes and nanushka.   I was hoping they'd stick a pdd with Mozartiana and Aurora's wedding to make one intermission, but I should have figured they'd spread it out.   They usually have the end times on their website, but I guess there are too many combinations for them to have bothered. 

nanushka - I did wonder if they were cutting anything from Ratmansky's original Act 3 to accommodate the two new pieces, or maybe just give a bonus of seeing it in it's entirety plus the new.   Looking forward to it either way!

Edited by NinaFan
16 minutes ago, nysusan said:

I get emails from ABT reminding me when I have tickets. My email for tonight's program says it runs from 7:30 PM to 9:40 PM. I'd expect it to run a little longer with bows, intermissions etc

Thank you nysusan!  I've been getting e-mails from ABT this season too, but sometimes they miss a performance reminder.  I didn't buy all of my tickets at once, so perhaps that had something to do with the intermittent reminders.  Thanks again!

The NY Times has another Speaking In Dance video out, this time with Boylston in Tchai Pas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/arts/dance/isabella-boylston-a-natural-balanchine-ballerina.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fspeakingindance

Side note: the text mentions that she will be the dance double for Jennifer Lawrence in an upcoming film Red Sparrow, which will also feature Segei Polunin (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2873282/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

I can't remember if the changes to Aurora's Wedding got detailed elsewhere in this thread, but here's what we got at today's matinee:

1) Opening promenade

2) Precious Stones

3) White Cat & Puss-in-Boots

4) Porcelain Princesses & Mandarin (Nijinska)

5) Princess Florine & Bluebird

6) Red Riding Hood & the Wolf

7) Three Ivans (De Valois)

8) Grand Pas de Deux for Aurora and Désiré

9) Mazurka

Note that the Lilac Fairy, Carabosse, Bluebeard & Ariana, and The Shah, his Brother & Scheherazade are walk-ons. (Actually, Lilac and Carabosse are carry-ons - they get toted around in their palanquins ...) 

No Hop o'My Thumb or Cinderella.

Editorial: I didn't miss Hop one bit, but I'd happily trade the Porcelain Princesses to get Cinderella back. Yes, it's Nijinska, but it's mostly made up of the kind of tiresome ethnic and cultural stereotypes that I think we can safely leave behind. 

20 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The NY Times has another Speaking In Dance video out, this time with Boylston in Tchai Pas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/arts/dance/isabella-boylston-a-natural-balanchine-ballerina.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fspeakingindance

Side note: the text mentions that she will be the dance double for Jennifer Lawrence in an upcoming film Red Sparrow, which will also feature Segei Polunin (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2873282/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

Boylston was today's matinee Aurora. I would just like to say that she has one of the most beautiful, radiant stage smiles I have ever seen - mostly because it looks like her real-life smile. 

19 hours ago, alexL said:

I'm wondering whether Cornejo can perform on Sat evening because Gorak certainly can't perform both Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux and Sleeping Beauty back to back. 

They must be updating the casting as I type this because Gorak has been removed from Tchaikovsky Pas Saturday night but no one is listed to replace him. Only Boylston's name is there. Maybe Whiteside will be slotted in, then Gorak will replace Cornejo in SB. Wonder if Cornejo is reinjured and will also be replaced in Nutcracker this week?

So Whiteside's name is now listed for Tchaikovsky Pas but as a separate entry on that program so there are two TP's listed. They really need to iron out (modernize!) their entire site.

Edited by ABT Fan

Turns out there's only one intermission in the Mozartiana/2PDDs/Aurora program, with one piece before and three after. I'm surprised, given that Aurora can't be much shorter than AfterEffect, and SLC and Nutcracker PDD are both supposed to be 13, I believe. I wonder why the discrepancy between the programs.

Edited by nanushka

Misprint in the program. The pause before Aurora's Wedding is actually an intermission. Many confused audience members.

Watching Murphy and Whiteside's Tchai Pas made Monday's look like a student recital by comparison.

Seo utterly ravishingly in Nutcracker and Magificent Marcelo was...magnificent.

Edited by fondoffouettes
4 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Misprint in the program. The pause before Aurora's Wedding is actually an intermission. Many confused audience members.

It didn't help that, 4 or 5 minutes into the surprise intermission, the house lights flicked off for a second!

Edited by nanushka
4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I love that the NY Times has these videos but I didn't find Boylston in any way impressive in the variation. She didn't seem to have a plan musically and her arms were kind of flung about. She didn't make a statement IMO, I didn't see her intent. Boylston has an amazing body for ballet and fantastic facility. I wish there was more growth in the artistry department.