This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Selznick for a day: YOU cast "Gone With the Wind, the Ballet"

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 12:35 PM

I just saw Alexandra's post and comments re Leslie Howard. Excuse the repetition. Posted Image

#17 dancersteven

dancersteven

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 03:15 PM

Lucia Lacarra for certain, and then either Irek Mukhamedov or else Jordan Morris (Royal Winnipeg)

#18 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 03:50 PM

If we are not confined by time, my nomination for Scarlett is Kshinskaya (sp.) She was certainly a survivor, and could get anything she wanted from men, and she wanted a lot! And I definitely see Scarlett doing lots of fouettes. What about Anton Dolin as Rhett? If we are doing cross-dressing and blackface, what about Gen Horiuchi as Prissy?

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 04:36 PM

Mary, we've been working together too long. I sent this email to Leigh earlier (because we have had several conversations about Kschessinska). I wasn't sure most people would be familiar with her, but since you've put her name in the ring, I'll sure second it!

Mr. Selznick, the search is over!!!

The only possibility for Scarlett is Kschessinska.

I'd have her do the 32 fouettes twice. Once at the barbecue, to the absolute horror of both Mama and Mammy.

And then, the second time, at the ball, wearing her widow's weeds.

Defiant, scheming, seductive, with a twinkle in her eye and a diamond on every spare patch of skin, Mathilde is our girl.

I'd also like to second Leigh's nomination of Kenneth Greve for Ashley. Six foot three, blond hair, blue eyes, very handsome, very charming, capable of doing anything, but....

On Rhett, maybe I'm being too literal, but he was HUGE. Tall, muscular. Not short and muscular. Mukhamedov would be too short, as would Villella. Think more along the lines of Nikolai Fadayachev Posted Image

[This message has been edited by alexandra (edited October 09, 2000).]

#20 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 07:32 PM

I have to admit, the moment I heard Kschessinska mentioned I knew the search had ended.

Look no further, Mr. Selznick. From Tsarkoe Selo directly to Tara, here comes Mathilde!

"But Nicky!!! I didn't push Melanie down the stairs! She just walked in from of me as I was moving my arms in preparation for my solo, what was I to do?"

------------------
Leigh Witchel - dae@panix.com
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/lwitchel"]Personal Page and Dance Writing[/url]
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/dnceasever"]Dance as Ever[/url]

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 09:56 PM

I hope it's not necessary to say, but just because we're saying "the search is over!" that's a reference to a famous movie line. Please feel free to continue your casting decisions. We may have a "Gone With the Wind" Festival by the time we're through.

#22 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 11:31 PM

Surely ya'all can't have forgotten one of the great dramatic ballerinas of the last century - Lynn Seymour? Perfect Scarlett. As for seeking perfection for Ashley - I recall the gasps of one fan at the stage door when the Royal Danes visited NY in the 60s - with reference to Peter Martins: "How can he bear to look at himself in the mirror when he shaves? It's like looking at a marble statue of Apollo." And it was, indeed.

#23 NO7

NO7

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 04:42 AM

For me, either Darcey Bussell or Diana Vishneva can make good Scarlett.

#24 Lillian

Lillian

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 08:17 AM

Patricia McBride IS Melanie

#25 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 09:15 AM

As to the smaller roles, I think Beriosova would be perfect for Scarlett's mother, in her Lady Elgar mode. No ballet should be without this lovely dancer. And for Scarlett's Pa, I think Alexander Grant would be wonderful. And Merle Park for Sue Ellen. I was trying to cast Belle Watling, and came up with Heather Watts, not quite classical, you know, but very kind-hearted. I see a very moving duet between her and Melanie when Belle gives Julie Kent the money for charity.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 11:20 AM

Here is the ultimate cast:

SCARLET - Sylvie Guillem...gorgeous minx who, I'm sure, will know how to get her Rhett

RHETT - Konstantin Zaklinsky...picture him with a mustache Posted Image! Remember, in the novel, Rhett was quite a bit older than Scarlet

MELANIE - sweet Yvonne Borree (Darcey Bussell would be a second choice but she's too tall to be ideal as 'meek-and-mild')

ASHLEY - Charles Askegaard...no question about it!

MAMMY - Mark Morris in drag AND blackface.

....and in a cameo role....

AUNT PITTIPAT - Natalia Dudinskaya (currently in Boston, rehearsing Bayadere...so I'm sure she can swing down to Atlanta for this!)

[This message has been edited by Jeannie (edited October 10, 2000).]

#27 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 01:36 PM

I pity the unfortunate choreographer who has to explain to Kschessinska that in the postwar scenes she cannot wear her jewelry to pick cotton.

[This message has been edited by dirac (edited October 10, 2000).]

#28 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 01:46 PM

Not to mention having to throw up after eating some mouldy vegetable! Maybe she could just become dizzy after too many fouettes.

#29 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 03:00 PM

My tastes are sometimes eclectic, but I would cast.......

SCARLET- Tanaquil LeClerq
RHETT - Edward Villella (on stilts)
MELANIE - Eleanor D'Antuono
ASHLEY - Erik Bruhn
SCARLET'S WHINEY SISTER (remember, Scarlet married HER boyfriend)- Gelsey Kirkland
MAMMY - Lynn Seymour (think of her in "Dancers")
PRISSY - Heather Watts
BELLE WATLING - Gloria Govrin and Karen Von Aroldigen will share the honors!
MR. O'HARA - Baryishnikov (an OLD Baryshnikov!)
MRS. O'HARA - Melissa Hayden

I don't know who would compose the score, I would have my hands full just keeping this cast together!! Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Yvonne (edited October 10, 2000).]

#30 Lillian

Lillian

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2000 - 04:47 PM

All this Heather Watts talk has me seeing her as Scarlett (let's not forget the kitchen scene in Dancing on my Grave).
I'm seeing Jillana as Belle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):