Veronika Part doing Giselle at the Mariinsky !!!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

I have said this before, but will repeat it here...I think Osipova recently was able to break thru many decades of Giselle copying and made a real difference with the role. What a wonderful artist...

Royal Ballet just announced that it is releasing the DVD of her performance with Acosta on September 1, 2014: http://www.roh.org.u...yal-ballet-2014
I don't find it yet on Amazon, but hope it will appear soon. (Wouldn't it be great if ABT would release outstanding performances on DVD as regularly as the Royal does? We can dream...)
And it looks like many of us will get to see her Giselle in November in NYC with Mikhailovsky. Yippee!

#62 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have said this before, but will repeat it here...I think Osipova recently was able to break thru many decades of Giselle copying and made a real difference with the role. What a wonderful artist...

WOW! I really enjoyed that version. Going to have to put it on my list to see Osipova in person.

#63 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

Amazing dancing. But, does this take place in a concentration camp? I've never seen such depressingly drab costumes and sets for Act I of Giselle. What were they thinking? "Yes, put Giselle in a khaki-colored dress so she looks even more drab and dull then the other peasant girls." And, typical of the Royal Ballet, anyone representing the nobility is dressed in overly elaborate, exaggeratedly pompous costumes. Also, who was in charge of making it look as if Osipova actually has hair? I guess a clip-in curly mullet was good enough to be immortalized on DVD.

With so few performances captured on film, I'm frustrated they would pay so little mind to the aesthetics.

#64 danc1988

danc1988

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

And, typical of the Royal Ballet, anyone representing the nobility is dressed in overly elaborate, exaggeratedly pompous costumes.

My goodness, where do I begin with this? From which cellar do they find all the desaturated, washed-out colors, the excessively frilly costumes, and the dusty sets? And in this respect, their Giselle actually even isn't that bad compared to their Nutcracker (Cojocaru/Dowell 2001) all-around or even the well-danced Sleeping Beauty (Cojocaru/Nunez 2006) with the ridiculous costumes for the king/queen.

What a contrast to the solid, bold, lush, and vibrant color schemes we saw in the Bolshoi last month (in line with a modern, 21st century, "sans-serif" aesthetic that we associate with quality these days, especially in their Don Q). Will the RB ever catch up to the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi in this respect or will it continue perpetuating its anachronism?

#65 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Funny, I actually find the earth tones handsome, and appropriate for peasants. What strikes me about The Royal Ballet production, on the 2006 DVD with Cojocaru and Kobborg, is that Bathilde looks old enough to be Albrecht's mother.

#66 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

But, Giselle is a peasant, right?  Is there such a thing as a peasant who can afford nice, pretty clothes?  Yes, it's very drab but if I had to choose between Osipova's costume in this clip versus Part's in the Mariinsky, I'd choose Osipova's.  Part's costume makes her look like a princess.  Osipova's clipped on braids however are pretty bad.

Side note - I didn't realize Henry VIII had a part in Giselle? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):