• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

I wonder if the non-compete clauses we have discussed elsewhere are an issue here -- not just for Hallberg, but also for Vasiliev and Osipova, who were guests with Bolshoi in their London season last month. As people no doubt remember, that was fatal in the planned Mikhailovsky season last year.

The Bolshoi can sell tickets without any of those artists, though I'm sure the tour presenters would be happy to have them.

I rather suspect, too, that Osipova's contract with ABT may have changed since she is no longer a principal with the company (and in any renegotiation Ardani would presumably have been ultra conscious of the issue).

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Although the Bolshoi visit to NY in the summer of 2014 seemed like a "done deal" from reading the Bolshoi press release, today's NYTimes, in it's annual Season Preview issue, suggests that negotiations are still underway regarding the engagment. The Times states,

Lincoln Center is still discussing a Bolshoi season in New York. If that happens, the city may see two aspects of David Hallberg — dancing both with Ballet Theater and the Moscow troupe.

I wonder if the non-compete clauses we have discussed elsewhere are an issue here -- not just for Hallberg, but also for Vasiliev and Osipova, who were guests with Bolshoi in their London season last month. As people no doubt remember, that was fatal in the planned Mikhailovsky season last year.

The Bolshoi can sell tickets without any of those artists, though I'm sure the tour presenters would be happy to have them.

I rather suspect, too, that Osipova's contract with ABT may have changed since she is no longer a principal with the company (and in any renegotiation Ardani would presumably have been ultra conscious of the issue).

Which leaves Hallberg...In his most recent article, Macauley at least entertains the possibility that he'll dance with both companies. As abatt noted:

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

In his interview at the Kennedy Center yesterday, Hallberg said Osipova was his favorite partner. Both ABT and Bolshoi would no doubt love to feature that partnership next summer. As she is no longer a principal with either company and he is a principal with both, this could get very interesting!! Perhaps they could do R&J with ABT and Don Q with Bolshoi...but then what about Vasiliev?? (Earlier reports said the Bolshoi was planning to bring Don Q, Spartacus, and Swan Lake.)

#18 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

It seems to me Bolshoi press release is not enough for NYT and it's waiting for announcement from LC to make it official.  To read between the lines, I think NYT is trying to say "We can't really trust whatever Bolshoi has to say."

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

It seems to me Bolshoi press release is not enough for NYT and it's waiting for announcement from LC to make it official.  To read between the lines, I think NYT is trying to say "We can't really trust whatever Bolshoi has to say."

This makes a lot of sense. For what it's worth (which might not be much!), the NY visit is still listed on the Bolshoi English-language site:

http://www.bolshoi.r...ormances/#tour1

#20 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Don't worry, the NY tour will happen.  NYT is just being overly cautious.

Is Lunkina still on the roster?  If yes, I hope she'll rejoin Bolshoi for the tour, it's only an hour flight away.

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yes, her name is still on the roster, so some hope remains.

#22 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

The Saratoga Springs tour with DQ dates dovetail with the Met tour, an indication the Met tour will happen.  I assume DQ won't be the closing program at the Met.

#23 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Apparently, NY Times knew something was not yet kosher about the NYC tour.  Today, it reports the tour is far from certain.

#24 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Given that the Kennedy Center and SPAC engagements sound as if they are definite, and given the cancellation last year of the Mikhailovsky at Lincoln Center, one has to wonder if the ABT non-compete clause is involved again. Both Vasiliev and Hallberg are scheduled with ABT in June in ballets the Bolshoi says it is performing in New York (Don Quixote and Swan Lake, respectively).

Vasiliev did Don Q with the Bolshoi on October 4 & 6 with Ekaterina Krysanova. Hallberg did SL with Zakharova September 27.

Edited by California, 28 October 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

Unlike the Mik, the Bolshoi has plenty of stars. Bolshoi can sell out the Met with SL and DQ with or without Hallberg and/or Vasiliev.  (Spartacus isn't exactly an audience favorite, so that's going to be a tougher sell no matter who is cast.)I'm guessing this delay of signing contracts must somehow relate to money, not personnel.  It's probably a negotiating maneuver by the Bolshoi.

If the Bolshoi doesn't end up coming to NYC, I seriously doubt that they will come to Saratoga. 

I'm not sure that Hallberg would necessarily be a big draw in NYC for the Bolshoi anyway.  When the Bolshoi visits NYC, a large segment of the audience, including many, many Russians, want to see Russian dancers who were trained at the Bolshoi, not Americans.

#26 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Unlike the Mik, the Bolshoi has plenty of stars. Bolshoi can sell out the Met with SL and DQ with or without Hallberg and/or Vasiliev.  (Spartacus isn't exactly an audience favorite, so that's going to be a tougher sell no matter who is cast.)I'm guessing this delay of signing contracts must somehow relate to money, not personnel.  It's probably a negotiating maneuver by the Bolshoi.

If the Bolshoi doesn't end up coming to NYC, I seriously doubt that they will come to Saratoga. 

I'm not sure that Hallberg would necessarily be a big draw in NYC for the Bolshoi anyway.  When the Bolshoi visits NYC, a large segment of the audience, including many, many Russians, want to see Russian dancers who were trained at the Bolshoi, not Americans.

I agree and would add that just the name "Bolshoi" sells--well known stars or not. But I'm not sure about Spartacus not being an audience favorite--For many people (and I should think especially the Russian audience in New York) Spartacus "is" the Bolshoi. Perhaps that's an outdated notion??

#27 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'd agree with you except that the Bolshoi is definitely going to DC with Giselle. True, Giselle is a 'smaller' ballet than the major Petipas and Grigoroviches. The 2013/14 KennCen Ballet Season has been marketed/tickets sold through the power of the Bolshoi, in great part. No way that the Bolshoi will cancel, unless there's a huge int'l political crisis that forces all cultural exchanges  'twix US-Russia to be halted.

#28 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes, I agree Natalia.  The Kennedy Center Giselle is a done deal.  The contract that the Bolshoi would have w. the Kennedy Center was inked a long time ago and that engagement is definite.  The deal they are trying to work out w. Lincoln Center is an entirely separate contract that has nothing to do with the Kennedy Center engagement.  I think the KC must offer very good deals to major ballet companies, and the KC has lots of taxpayer money to fund these engagements (in additon to private capital donations). 

The Saratoga engagement sounds like an add on.  Hey, we're going to NYC, we might as well throw on an extra week to the NY tour and make some more $$$ in Saratoga.

#29 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

The SPAC engagement is an add-on side trip to the NYC main event, it's not economical on it's own.  They may have to cancel SPAC if the NYC deal falls thru.  But I wonder why they announced the SPAC tour before the NYC engagement is finalized, the SPAC announcement actually gives Lincoln Center more leverage assuming they're still negotiating.

BTW, Spartacus sold out last time they were here.

#30 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think almost everything sold out last time the Bolshoi was here.  Maybe not Bright Stream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):