This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Matvienko fired at Kiev Opera Ballet

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

It would be nice of Beloserkovsky could be persuaded to take the job, though I've heard him say that he feels like a thorough New Yorker and wouldn't be inclined to live anywhere else. .

Are Max and Irina citizens of the US?

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yes.

#18 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

She has staged a couple of full-lengths ballets for the National Opera, and they seem to be classical in nature, stultifyingly so.
https://www.youtube....h?v=bk6KaccXcfc

Volcanohunter, that was an elegant statement Posted Image.

#19 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

http://www.gramilano...he-kiev-ballet/

So he signed his contract, but management never counter signed it. Kind of strange. I always ask for a copy of my job offers with all the signatures in place. But I'm American and we're very litigious here.

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

This is a complex area, and I have no clue about Russian law. However, under US law, the fact that one party never actually signed the written agreement makes no difference if there is other evidence that the contract was agreed to by the non-signatory. In fact, in many instances an oral agreement can be binding. The only exception is that certain types of agreements - like contracts for the sale of land, or contracts to answer for the debt of another person, for example - are subject to the Statute of Frauds and must always be in writing and signed by all parties to the agreement. Wonder if Matvienko has consulted a lawyer..

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

If Matvienko hadn't thought of it himself, I'm sure Tsiskaridze advised him to consult a lawyer. But it appears that Matvienko isn't interested in working under the same roof with the theater's general director and its personnel manager. I don't know whether he'd be willing to take a legal battle far enough to try to unseat the current management. Tsiskaridze has been trying for years, and he still hasn't succeeded.

In these circumstances administrators have all sorts of levers of influence, but ultimately they lose the war. Rudolf Bing may have won his battle with Maria Callas, but can anyone honestly say that the Metropolitan Opera was better off for having the most iconic diva of the 20th century give only 20 performances on its stage? Obviously, Matvienko isn't Callas, but my point is that in battles between artists and administrators, the audiences is usually the ultimate loser.

#22 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

That's a shame, the firing has no merit, it's purely politics. Is his successor, Aniko Rekhviashvili, meant to be permanent or interim? Did Mikhailovsky announce Duato's replacement? Matvienko seems to be a very eligible candidate.

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Given the public outcry, the Ukrainian prime minister has said the situation will be investigated by the Ministry of Culture and "well-known authoritative professionals in this field."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...candal_az.shtml

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Rudolf Bing may have won his battle with Maria Callas, but can anyone honestly say that the Metropolitan Opera was better off for having the most iconic diva of the 20th century give only 20 performances on its stage?

I remember from Bing's book his recalling that the loosing of Callas was indeed a hard move to take on, but one that became necessary at one point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):