652 replies to this topic

#196 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've just had the chance to go through all the links which BA'rs have kindly posted here.

It seems that Mr. Tsiskaridze has concluded that the attack on Mr. Filin is really a sub-plot of the much more important conspiracy against ... himself.

I know that Tsiskaridze is a great dancer, but he certainly seems to be the employee-colleague from hell. He is protected by tenure for life -- seems obsessed by his own grievances -- believes that he can intervene in everything about which he disapproves -- is convinced that he is the only one who can straighten out what he describes as a dysfunctional and immoral institution -- and cannot avoid making extreme statements about just about everything.

He continues to dig his own grave, it seems to me. How odd that a performer who excels in an art that is essentially mute should have so little ability to keep his mouth shut.

#197 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've just had the chance to go through all the links which BA'rs have kindly posted here.

It seems that Mr. Tsiskaridze has concluded that the attack on Mr. Filin is really a sub-plot of the much more important conspiracy against ... himself.

I know that Tsiskaridze is a great dancer, but he certainly seems to be the employee-colleague from hell. He is protected by tenure for life -- seems obsessed by his own grievances -- believes that he can intervene in everything about which he disapproves -- is convinced that he is the only one who can straighten out what he describes as a dysfunctional and immoral institution -- and cannot avoid making extreme statements about just about everything.

He continues to dig his own grave, it seems to me. How odd that a performer who excels in an art that is essentially mute should have so little ability to keep his mouth shut.

He does seem to have diarrhea of the mouth! I highly doubt - or at least I hope not - Mr. Tsiskaridze had anything to do with Mr. Filin horrible attack, but the man is not making himself a sympathetic figure in this terrible mess. He comes off arrogant, cocky and smug. Whether he realize it or not he's behavior is unattractive. Now I'm not saying he's wrong at what he's talking about...I have a strong feeling the management isn't all that clean with innocence themselves...I'm just saying Mr. Tsiskaridze isn't doing himself any favors.

I mean when making statements questioning whether or not Mr. Filin was actually attack with acid...I'm mean c'mon...WOW!! I get his desire to defend himself but he's coming off sounding cold and heartless.

#198 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Mr Tsiskaridze may indeed remember his chemistry lessons correctly. In our high school chemistry class we were told to never add water to sulfuric acid. About.com Chemistry says this:

Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) reacts very vigorously with water, in a highly exothermic reaction. If you add water to concentrated sulfuric acid, it can boil and spit and you may get a nasty acid burn.

#199 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

He does seem to have diarrhea of the mouth!

Posted Image

#200 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

From the NY Times yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.c...ncers.html?_r=0

The Bolshoi Ballet administration threatened to file a lawsuit against the dancer Nikolai Tsiskaridze on Friday, after he called for the theater’s top executives to be dismissed over its response to the Jan. 17 acid attack on the ballet’s artistic director, Sergei Filin....After three weeks of speculation about who might have targeted Mr. Filin, a longstanding feud between Mr. Tsiskaridze and the theater’s general director, Anatoly Iksanov, has become public, with each stating that the other should leave the Bolshoi for the good of the institution and to avoid further damage to its storied reputation.

#201 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I previously regarded NT as merely an arrogant diva who likes to stir up trouble. However, with these latest comments in which he questions whether SF was actually attacked with acid, I have lost all sympathy for him, and regard him as completely lacking in credibility or humanity.

#202 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Last time I checked, one doesn't have to be a member of Mensa to graduate from the Moscow (Bolshoi) Ballet Academy. I chalk-up NT's comments to stupidity and lack of tact but I don't think that he is cruel enough to mastermind this attack. Every time that he opens his mouth he digs a deeper hole. He should just dance and shut the **** up.

#203 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

With all of his bombast, Tsiskaridze is often quite careful in the way he words things. He didn't say, as far as I know, that Filin wasn't attacked with acid: he says that Filin wasn't attacked with sulfuric acid. He's careful on the technicalities of his position towards management, which his actions on the petition would seem to belie, until you check the fine print.

He could give Bill Clinton lessons on what "is" is.

#204 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I don't think NT will ever recover from this. Swan song has been produced.

#205 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

This dreadful acid attack has shocked Londoners to the core and gives a clear idea of what injuries to expect.

http://www.standard....=internalSearch

This poor girls plight has attracted the attention of a hollywood plastic surgeon who has offered his services for free, but note her family is now homeless out of fear of the anonymous attacker.

#206 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

A similar case, though longer ago, is that of Katie Piper, who now heads a foundation for burn victims:

http://www.katiepipe...ndation.org.uk/

Ms Oni said she had been inspired by the story of Katie Piper, the model who launched a charity and spoke out publicly after falling victim to an acid attack orchestrated by her boyfriend, but that she would never feel safe with her attacker still at large.

“Even with the support of my family and friends and boyfriend I feel very alone. Nothing is going to be same anymore,” said Ms Oni.

#207 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I agree with you Bart. It would be best for him if he remains silent. He shouldn't have added anything further than his initial statement(s), and certainly nothing further after being questioned by the authorities. He seems to be "... wallowing in self-love," as Sir Derek Jacoby aptly described Sir Ian McKellan's portrayal of "Richard II." Like I stated earlier in this thread, Tsiskaridze just can't help himself...

#208 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

The New York Times states: According to the director, "there was 'no doubt' that he was involved in the 2011 publication of erotic photographs that prompted Gennady Yanin, who was at the time the Bolshoi director, to leave the company.....'I have only one feeling: Everything that happened is the natural result of the lawlessness that was created in the first place by Nikolai Maksimovich Tsiskaridze,” he said. “Pouring mud on the theater and its workers, constant intrigues and certainty of his own impunity — that was the background which made this tragedy possible.'"

If blamed for two vicious attacks (particularly if one assumes that the conclusory allegations are inaccurate), who could not respond? Even without these direct accusations, the director asserts that speaking truth about being admittedly sidelined, pushed out, or purged caused an acid attack. In essence, the director argues that NT bears blame, regardless of participation in the wrongdoing against Filin, because he expressed that did not like the reconstruction, would not speak falsely against other artists, and voiced his desire for other roles. Who could remain polite and not be provoked in that case? I imagine the response was intended, expected, and useful, based on the provocation.

#209 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

It was a lot more than criticizing the theater. Going to the top artists in the nation to ask them to sign a petition based on outright lies about the state of the current administration is the type of action that would get most people fired on the spot. Once there was public evidence showing his less-than-transparent efforts to undermine the administration through sordid means -- he's not just an op-ed writer doing his job to expose the grievous wrongs of his targets -- why should Iksanov not describe how it impacts his theater, especially when it's not uncommon for incivility to lead to more incivility, posturing about using force, and then physical force?

#210 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

It was a lot more than criticizing the theater. Going to the top artists in the nation to ask them to sign a petition based on outright lies about the state of the current administration is the type of action that would get most people fired on the spot. Once there was public evidence showing his less-than-transparent efforts to undermine the administration through sordid means -- he's not just an op-ed writer doing his job to expose the grievous wrongs of his targets -- why should Iksanov not describe how it impacts his theater, especially when it's not uncommon for incivility to lead to more incivility, posturing about using force, and then physical force?

I do not condone the acts upon Gennady Yanin, which Iksanov attributes to NT (but without showing his alleged proof), nor the filing of false petitions and letters (attributed by others to NT.) Of course, I do not condone the attacks on Filin (not directly attributed by Iksanov to NT, but for which Iksanov blames NT). However, I fail to understand how one can blame acts of violence on acts of "incivility". I am sure in every office people complain (sometimes accurately and sometimes inaccurately) about their supervisors and colleagues, and sometimes do worse (such as the false petition and letter that you mention), but that does not permit an inference of inevitable, future violence, nor give rise to blame for violence by others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):