This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tips for Visiting St. Petersburg

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

(Timing of our trip is dictated by Mr. Drew's work taking him to Finland, so we are talking about the first week of June.)

If you'll be in Helsinki for a few days, do take a walking tour of the historic architecture, especially around the University. The architects also worked in St. Petersburg and they look strikingly similar. Those areas were often used for location shots to stand in for Russia when it was difficult to film in the Soviet Union (e.g., Warren Beatty's "Reds"). The Sibelius memorial park and gorgeous performing arts center are worth seeing. Great public tram system, so it's easy to get around. Also worthwhile: the daytrip to Tallinn, Estonia. It's an easy ferry ride (which is an international duty-free zone, with plenty of shops on-board) to see the best-preserved medieval city in northern Europe.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure I will make it to Talinn, but certainly hope to do some walking/sightseeing around Helsinki.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

For Helsinki, I'd going here:

http://www.fazer.com/Landing-page/

#18 swanchat

swanchat

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

If you are going to Helsinki, check out the Finnish National Ballet too! Currently they are doing a triple bill Elo-Inger-Nijinksy they are taking on tour to the Bolshoi's 100 year Festival of the Rite of Spring. http://www.opera.fi/...?tab=repertoire If you miss that, they are performing Javier Torre's Sleeping Beauty to end their regular season. The opera house is lovely and sits on a beautiful lake with views from the lobby.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I wanted to post this for everyone who plans to fly in and/or out of St. Petersburg. This info will help anyone avoid what happened to me.

I flew Delta from the U.S. to Amsterdam and then St. Petersburg and flew into the "international" airport (Pulkovo 2). When I left I was dropped off at the same airport (Pulkovo 2) assuming it is the international airport and the one I flew into, but my flight was Air France going back through Paris, and I was informed that I had to go to Pulkovo 1.....I panicked, but it is not that bad. You go outside and people ask you if you need a taxi (they are regular citizens) and they will take you to Pulkovo 1 which is not that far by car but you can not walk to it. I advise bartering with the person and saying all you have is 500 roubles or something like that. I hear that many want more, because they know people are desperate b/c they are at the wrong airport. I actually had 700 roubles in my pocket and American dollars but I said I only had 500 roubles and nothing more.

So it worked out for me and I caught my plane. The guy who acted as my taxi to Pulkovo 1 told me that the domestic airport (Pulkovo 1) is being renovated and enlarged to eventually have ALL flights and eventually they will close Pulkovo 2 (the old international airport). But currently depending on the airline you have to be careful and know which airport you need. Flying in is obviously no concern but later when I calmed down I noticed that my Air France info did say "Terminal 1" which means Pulkovo 1, but the word terminal made me think it was just a terminal in the international airport, but it actually meant the Domestic airport despite being an international flight.

I hope all this makes sense, and I hope it helps someone avoid the panic that I experienced returning. It sounds like this problem will eventually be eliminated once they close the international airport (that is an old Soviet style airport) and have everything at one airport.

I will make sure I take your advice in my next programmed vacation to the land of the Tsars, BB! BTW, I love your FB pics...keep posting them! Posted Image

#20 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I wanted to post this for everyone who plans to fly in and/or out of St. Petersburg. This info will help anyone avoid what happened to me.

I flew Delta from the U.S. to Amsterdam and then St. Petersburg and flew into the "international" airport (Pulkovo 2). When I left I was dropped off at the same airport (Pulkovo 2) assuming it is the international airport and the one I flew into, but my flight was Air France going back through Paris, and I was informed that I had to go to Pulkovo 1.....I panicked, but it is not that bad. You go outside and people ask you if you need a taxi (they are regular citizens) and they will take you to Pulkovo 1 which is not that far by car but you can not walk to it. I advise bartering with the person and saying all you have is 500 roubles or something like that. I hear that many want more, because they know people are desperate b/c they are at the wrong airport. I actually had 700 roubles in my pocket and American dollars but I said I only had 500 roubles and nothing more.

So it worked out for me and I caught my plane. The guy who acted as my taxi to Pulkovo 1 told me that the domestic airport (Pulkovo 1) is being renovated and enlarged to eventually have ALL flights and eventually they will close Pulkovo 2 (the old international airport). But currently depending on the airline you have to be careful and know which airport you need. Flying in is obviously no concern but later when I calmed down I noticed that my Air France info did say "Terminal 1" which means Pulkovo 1, but the word terminal made me think it was just a terminal in the international airport, but it actually meant the Domestic airport despite being an international flight.

I hope all this makes sense, and I hope it helps someone avoid the panic that I experienced returning. It sounds like this problem will eventually be eliminated once they close the international airport (that is an old Soviet style airport) and have everything at one airport.

I will make sure I take your advice in my next programmed vacation to the land of the Tsars, BB! BTW, I love your FB pics...keep posting them! Posted Image

Thanks, Cristian! I meant to respond earlier! I keep posting more pics on FB b/c I took so many. People keep asking if I am still in Russia. I am posting them a few at a time so that my friends see how beautiful it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):