• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

I just got a Three or more subscription for the ABT Met Season. That's the one in which you can select 3 or more dates of your choosing. OK I spent more than I intended but I got - Cojocaru in Giselle & Don Q (I so adored her in SB last year that I broke my no more Giselles rule for her & I also doubt I'll get many more opportunities to see her). I got Bright Stream with Reyes, Cornejo, Osipova (who I've never seen live) and Simkin and I got a rep performance with Cornejo in Shadowplay.

I'm so looking forward to it all. My biggest concern is that Cojocaru get injured before then. My hope is that the rep night will have some interesting casting in the new ballets. My bias is towards rep over full lengths.

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

I just got a Three or more subscription for the ABT Met Season. . . I got - Cojocaru in Giselle & Don Q (I so adored her in SB last year that I broke my no more Giselles rule for her & I also doubt I'll get many more opportunities to see her). . . .
. . . My hope is that the rep night will have some interesting casting in the new ballets. . . .

Why do you think you won't have many more opportunities to see Cojocaru? Too many injuries? Impending retirement? Dissociation from ABT?

I hesitate on the 3-or-more subscription -- it doesn't look like there's a price savings and you pick section but not actual seats. I waited for single tickets a year ago and was planning to wait until April 3 this year for singles. It seemed as if there were tons of great seats available and you could pick out your exact seat that way. Am I missing something?

Any information announced yet on the new ballets? I haven't seen news releases anywhere about casting for any of them.

#3 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Why do you think you won't have many more opportunities to see Cojocaru? Too many injuries? Impending retirement? Dissociation from ABT?

Any information announced yet on the new ballets? I haven't seen news releases anywhere about casting for any of them.

Alina Cojocaru is appearing as a guest artist with ABT this year in just a few performances. There is no way of knowing whether she'll return in future years.

The casting for the lead parts in ABT's spring schedule is available on their website:

http://www.abt.org/c...rtdate=5/1/2011

#4 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

I hesitate on the 3-or-more subscription -- it doesn't look like there's a price savings and you pick section but not actual seats. I waited for single tickets a year ago and was planning to wait until April 3 this year for singles. It seemed as if there were tons of great seats available and you could pick out your exact seat that way. Am I missing something?

As RUKen said, Cojocaru doesn't appear regularly with ABT, and doesn't do many performances with them. That's why I don't think I'll get to see her much.

I see what you mean about the 3-or more subscription. I'm hoping that there will be some seating advantages. I guess it depends on what you want to see. Last year I had trouble getting good single seats for a couple of performance that I really wanted to see. I think Cojocaru and Osipova sell particularly well, so there is strong chance that seating will be limited. The ABT rep that I spoke to asked about my seating preferences (more center or closer etc.) I do know that they fill 1st with subscribers, next with the 3 or more people and the remaining tickets go on single sale.

Anyway I knew what I wanted to see so I gave it a try. After this, I'll know if single tickets are the way to go!

I too wish there was more info about the casting in the new ballets.

BTW I had a very interesting discussion with the ABT rep about choice of dancers and ballets. He didn't tip his hand about his preferences, (well maybe once) but he was fun to talk to and very helpful.

#5 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

I just noticed that casting has been announced on the ABT site for Troika, the new Millepied work on the NY program of premieres May 24-26. http://www.abt.org/c...rtdate=5/1/2011

But I haven't seen any hints anywhere about what to expect with the new Ratmansky and Wheeldon works -- nothing on their press release site or calendar. Has anyone seen anything, perhaps some feature stories or news reports?

#6 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

Regarding casting, an ad in the NY Times about 2 weeks ago indicates that Reyes' partner for SB on July 6 is Cornejo. The ABT website was not updated to reflect that info.

#7 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Regarding casting, an ad in the NY Times about 2 weeks ago indicates that Reyes' partner for SB on July 6 is Cornejo. The ABT website was not updated to reflect that info.

This is confirmed in the brochure that was recently mailed for ordering individual tickets. (They are not yet available online.)

#8 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

Anyone planning to be in line at the box office on Sunday to exchange tickets? This is an annual pilgrimage for me. This year I am exchanging every one of my subscription tickets and hope hope hope I'm able to get what I want, where I want, and especially WHO I want.

#9 christine174

christine174

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Have any of you gotten your single tickets yet? I received my subscription tickets but not the extras. I'm not completely sure I remember what extra tickets I ordered, making it hard to know what to exchange for tomorrow! Also, I'm a little confused by my subscription tickets, which have "no refunds or exchanges" printed right on the ticket, while the accompanying letter describes how to exchange during subscriber exchange week.
Any insights?

#10 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Have any of you gotten your single tickets yet? I received my subscription tickets but not the extras. I'm not completely sure I remember what extra tickets I ordered, making it hard to know what to exchange for tomorrow! Also, I'm a little confused by my subscription tickets, which have "no refunds or exchanges" printed right on the ticket, while the accompanying letter describes how to exchange during subscriber exchange week.
Any insights?

I believe single tickets are not officially on sale yet. I think it's April 1 or 3. Not sure. My past experience is that if you are a subscriber go with the letter. The tickets all say that. My guess is that it is too expensive and complicated to print different things on different tickets. They are all probably printed in advance.

#11 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Subscribers can exchange tickets and I'll definitely be at the box office tomorrow to exchange most of mine!!!

#12 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'm curious: have subscribers who went to the box office yesterday or today to exchange discovered that any performances are sold out or nearly so?

In a mailing I got from ABT, they said they expect the most limited availability to be May 16 (opening gala), May 21 mat (Don Q), May 24 (premieres), June 30 (Swan Lake). Is that what you're experiencing so far?

#13 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

I'm curious: have subscribers who went to the box office yesterday or today to exchange discovered that any performances are sold out or nearly so?

In a mailing I got from ABT, they said they expect the most limited availability to be May 16 (opening gala), May 21 mat (Don Q), May 24 (premieres), June 30 (Swan Lake). Is that what you're experiencing so far?

I exchanged my tickets on Sunday and was able to get everything I wanted.

The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out

I doubt that any of the other performances will sell out but they may well sell out certain sections for those performances, so whether or not you should rush out to buy tickets as soon as single seats are offered depends on how picky you are about where you sit

There is always strong demand for the Gala, but it's a big house, it's hardly ever 100% sold out. The 5/21 Saturday matinee is Paulina Semionova's ABT debut. She isn't exactly a household name in NY so I don't think you have to worry about the house selling out. Mixed rep programs also don't typically sell out at the Met, even with new choreography.

Typically when there's high demand the best seats in the house and the cheapest seats in the house sell very well so, once again, it all depends on where you like to sit!

#14 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

"The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out"

Susan, the website states: May 30

Metropolitan Opera House
New York, New York

7:30 PM

Giselle
P. Herrera
R. Bolle
M. Wiles

Is something special happening on that date other than the performance of "Giselle" with Bolle as Albrecht? I really want good seats to that show, and your post made me nervous.

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

"The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out"

Susan, the website states: May 30

Metropolitan Opera House
New York, New York

7:30 PM

Giselle
P. Herrera
R. Bolle
M. Wiles

Is something special happening on that date other than the performance of "Giselle" with Bolle as Albrecht? I really want good seats to that show, and your post made me nervous.

I think the Carreno farewell is June 30, not 5/30. And 6/30 was one of the four that the ABT publicity recently said would have very limited availability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):