This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nutcracker Season at BAM

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hallberg is the ideal cavalier, but I noticed that Stiefel's bio on the ABT website includes the following:

"His roles with the Company [ABT] include ... the Cavalier in The Nutcracker ...."

Did the ABT have a Nutcracker at some point in time since Stiefel joined ABT in 1997? Hallberg's bio also indicates that he has performed with the ABT as the Cavalier, and he has only been with the ABT since 2001 (when he started as corps member).

When Hallberg is not performing, Stiefel may be a good choice. The role is not so technically demanding, at least to my recollection based on other productions, that it would tax Stiefel's current abilities and Stiefel also has the look of the cavalier. BTW, I hope Ratmansky will rein in Kevin M when it comes to background scenery and costumes -- this production of the Nutcracker should not be kitschy or too colorful. Does the choreographer have a say in such matters?

#17 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hallberg is the ideal cavalier, but I noticed that Stiefel's bio on the ABT website includes the following:

"His roles with the Company [ABT] include ... the Cavalier in The Nutcracker ...."

Did the ABT have a Nutcracker at some point in time since Stiefel joined ABT in 1997? Hallberg's bio also indicates that he has performed with the ABT as the Cavalier, and he has only been with the ABT since 2001 (when he started as corps member).

ABT did a Nutcracker as recently as 2 or 3 years ago in DC. I don't know what the production was like. I know Part was one of the Sugarplum Fairys.

BTW, I hope Ratmansky will rein in Kevin M when it comes to background scenery and costumes -- this production of the Nutcracker should not be kitschy or too colorful. Does the choreographer have a say in such matters?

Sleeping Beauty is one production, so let's not extrapolate a bright kitsch aesthetic and call that Mackenzie's based on that ballet. While Mackenzie's productions have their flaws, I don't think the problem with Swan Lake is that it is too colorful, or that it looks kitschy. In fact with the exception of the Swampthing/Purple Rothbart (and there are a lot of other ugly rothbart costumes out there, but swamp thing does take the cake) it is a visually beautiful production. In any case, the lead in such matters would be Ratmansky I would think, though the rest of the ABT executive team would have to be involved in any (such expensive) decisions...

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

If ABT is true to form, we are likely to see all available principals as SPF and her Cav.

I would be very surprised if Misty Copeland and Luciana Paris, both regularly typecast in sexy roles, don't show up as Coffee.

Since ABT has its own apparently firmly-established feeder academy now, I fervently hope that they use children to dance children's roles. Who knows what "first looks" we might have for spotting future stars? Some of us remember NYCB children such as Jennie Somogyi and Peter Boal from their days as little Maries and Princes.

#19 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

From the ABT Calendar, one can already see the show times currently scheduled for the Nutcracker. Note how early the evening performances generally are, presumably to allow children to attend. Many days have two performances, but not necessarily at a consistent time every day.

#20 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Since ABT has its own apparently firmly-established feeder academy now, I fervently hope that they use children to dance children's roles. Who knows what "first looks" we might have for spotting future stars?

Not to mention the fact that this is a great way to fill seats. Even the Martha Graham company is wise to this fact. During its recent season at the Joyce, it had city high school students dance Graham's Panorama. Before the show the woman I was sitting next to asked me whom I'd come to see. I'm sure I looked puzzled when I told her I'd come to see the ballets, but it turned out that she and her sister had come to watch her daughter in Panorama. (They stayed for Appalachian Spring but left during the intermission; I don't know whether this was disinterest in Graham's work or, more likely, a need to get those teenagers out of the backstage area.) In any case, it was a canny move to get those parents to come because otherwise the show, which was sold out, would have had an audience made up primarily of septua- and octogenarians.

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

So, it's ABT's 25 Nutcrackers to NYCB's 47.

Using young soloists as a dancing Clara and Prince would certainly differentiate ABT's show from NYCB's. That should be good for ticket sales.

Using children as children is box-office and public-relations magic in the U.S.. I can't imagine ABT NOT doing this.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Maybe more people will realize that Brooklyn is not in New England or south of the Mason/Dixon line and will get on the subway and head to BAM.

#23 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

ABT did a Nutcracker as recently as 2 or 3 years ago in DC. I don't know what the production was like. I know Part was one of the Sugarplum Fairys.

ABT danced it in D.C. in 2005 and 2007. Hallberg was Part's cavalier, and Erica Cornejo was a beautiful Clara, in the 2005 performance I saw. This danceviewtimes review from 2005 says a bit about the production. You can also get some little sense of it in the videos on this page from the White House Children's Christmas Reception in 2005, broadcast by C-Span.

#24 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

I called BAM and ABT to clarify whether it is BAM membership or ABT membership that is talked about, in terms of having access to earlier purchase of tickets. It is NOT BAM membership.

ABT members at Dancer's Circle levels are expected, at least based on current info, to have the same access to date of purchase as ABT Met subscribers who are not ABT members. ABT members at sufficiently high levels of membership may get even more special privileges re: booking the Nutcracker (to be determined), similar to their privileges re: Met seasons tickets.

Ticket prices will start at $15 for balcony partial view, going up to $95 for Prime Orchestra or Prime Mezz. There are some $30 tickets, but, other than that, I am not sure what the levels of pricing are in between.

The current expectation might be that casting NOT be announced before the late August purchase date! That might be pretty bad for me, because I only want to see Hallberg as cavalier.

I don't know whether the above will remain accurate, so treate as preliminary background info only.

#25 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

A recent Dancepulse episode features Hallberg:
http://www.hulu.com/...the-avant-garde

"I saw the Nutcracker, and I fell in love with ballet."

#26 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

When I called ABT on Friday, they indicated that a card or something like that would be sent by regular US mail to ABT members and possibly subscribers regarding Nutcracker ticket purchase opportunities. Has any BT member received such materials? :blink:

#27 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

When I called ABT on Friday, they indicated that a card or something like that would be sent by regular US mail to ABT members and possibly subscribers regarding Nutcracker ticket purchase opportunities. Has any BT member received such materials? :blink:

I just received a card(i'm in NJ)with the picture Catherine Hurlin and Philip Perez in the front.( are they JKO students?). In the back there is a picture Of M Gomes w/Catherine and a solo picture of G Murphy (.as SPF ?)Ticket sales start Aug 25.

#28 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Bingham, I received my advanced notice card today too. Now the trick will be to figure out when David Hallberg will be dancing since I will only be able to attend one time and want to book my ticket early for best seats :helpsmilie:

#29 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

ABT danced it in D.C. in 2005 and 2007. Hallberg was Part's cavalier, and Erica Cornejo was a beautiful Clara, in the 2005 performance I saw. This danceviewtimes review from 2005 says a bit about the production.

Ah...a Snow Queen, three-(and a half)-Ivans for the Russian Dance and a Principal dancer in Clara's role. Well, that sounds familiar.

#30 dancemom101

dancemom101

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

I just received my card as well and plan to purchase tix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):