This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker Season at BAM

When I called ABT on Friday, they indicated that a card or something like that would be sent by regular US mail to ABT members and possibly subscribers regarding Nutcracker ticket purchase opportunities. Has any BT member received such materials? :blink:

I just received a card(i'm in NJ)with the picture Catherine Hurlin and Philip Perez in the front.( are they JKO students?). In the back there is a picture Of M Gomes w/Catherine and a solo picture of G Murphy (.as SPF ?)Ticket sales start Aug 25.

ABT did a Nutcracker as recently as 2 or 3 years ago in DC. I don't know what the production was like. I know Part was one of the Sugarplum Fairys.

ABT danced it in D.C. in 2005 and 2007. Hallberg was Part's cavalier, and Erica Cornejo was a beautiful Clara, in the 2005 performance I saw. This danceviewtimes review from 2005 says a bit about the production.

Ah...a Snow Queen, three-(and a half)-Ivans for the Russian Dance and a Principal dancer in Clara's role. Well, that sounds familiar.

Bingham, I received my advanced notice card today too. Now the trick will be to figure out when David Hallberg will be dancing since I will only be able to attend one time and want to book my ticket early for best seats :helpsmilie:

Barbara -- I called the ABT office last week to ask the same question, even though I plan to attend more than one Nutcracker if practicable. The ABT office said, at the time, that the casting is not likely to be made available by August 25. I asked whether Met 2010 subscribers will get exchange privileges for Nutcracker performances, and the answer was in the negative.

All -- What do people plan to do, in terms of balancing buying tickets on August 25 versus waiting to see who gets cast?

Bingham, I received my advanced notice card today too. Now the trick will be to figure out when David Hallberg will be dancing since I will only be able to attend one time and want to book my ticket early for best seats :helpsmilie:

Barbara -- I called the ABT office last week to ask the same question, even though I plan to attend more than one Nutcracker if practicable. The ABT office said, at the time, that the casting is not likely to be made available by August 25. I asked whether Met 2010 subscribers will get exchange privileges for Nutcracker performances, and the answer was in the negative.

All -- What do people plan to do, in terms of balancing buying tickets on August 25 versus waiting to see who gets cast?

Since David H. is dancing in Argentina Dec19 and 21, he probably will not be cast until the last week of the run(if at all)

Have any subscribers to ABT's MET season received this card? I'm not an ABT "member", but I have several ABT subscriptions. I have not received this card. I probably will not make a purchase until casting becomes available.

I'm surprised. I'm not a subscriber or a member, just a regular single-ticket purchaser by mail.They should really give priority to regular subscribers.

Have any subscribers to ABT's MET season received this card? I'm not an ABT "member", but I have several ABT subscriptions. I have not received this card. I probably will not make a purchase until casting becomes available.

Even I got the card...! (due I guess to my purchase of Alonso's Gala ticket). It is indeed very nice, with a very vintage looking. In the front it shows Clara on pointe, but it looks perfectly appropriate with the dancer's age. Apparently the part will be danced by a very young adolescent playing the role of a very young adolescent. Smart idea.

I received the card, too, but I won't be bying any tickets until the casting is announced. Does anybody have at least some ideas who might be dancing in this new production, except for David H.?

The ad on the ABT website contains photos of Gomes and Murphy (photos taken by Fabrizio Ferri). It's reasonable to assume that they will be cast.

I received the card, too, but I won't be bying any tickets until the casting is announced. Does anybody have at least some ideas who might be dancing in this new production, except for David H.?

The ad on the ABT website contains photos of Gomes and Murphy (photos taken by Fabrizio Ferri). It's reasonable to assume that they will be cast.

Their pics are also in the back of the card.

Well color me excited. As much as I love Mr. B's Nutcracker it will be interesting to see Ratmansky's take. I'd also like for Ratmansky to choreograph more full-lengths for ABT, as their recent full-length productions have all been in some ways disappointments.

Here's the official release:

GILLIAN MURPHY AND DAVID HALLBERG

TO LEAD AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S

WORLD PREMIERE PERFORMANCE OF

ALEXEI RATMANSKY’S THE NUTCRACKER AT

BROOKLYN ACADEMY OF MUSIC,

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2010 AT 6:30 P.M.

PRINCIPAL CASTING ANNOUNCED

ADVANCE TICKET SALES BEGIN WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2010

American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancers Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg

will lead the cast of the World Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s all-new production of

The Nutcracker, Thursday, December 23, 2010 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

Advance tickets go on sale Wednesday, August 25, 2010.

American Ballet Theatre’s World Premiere production of the Peter Ilyitch

Tchaikovsky classic The Nutcracker, with choreography by Alexei Ratmansky, scenery

and costumes by Richard Hudson and lighting by Jennifer Tipton, will be given 16

performances during the Company’s two-week engagement at BAM with preview

performances on Wednesday evening, December 22 and Thursday matinee,

Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes will debut in the leading roles of Clara and The

Nutcracker Prince for the first preview performance of The Nutcracker on Wednesday

evening, December 22 at 7:00pm, and Hee Seo and Alexandre Hammoudi will dance the

roles at the second preview performance on Thursday matinee,

December 23 at 2:00pm. Additional lead casting includes Yuriko Kajiya and Daniil

Simkin at the 11:00am matinee on Friday, December 24, and Paloma Herrera and Cory

Stearns at the 3:30pm matinee performance. Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo will

debut in the leading roles on Thursday evening, December 30 at 5:30pm.

TICKETS ON SALE

The Brooklyn Academy of Music box office opens Wednesday, August 25 for

advance ticket sales. Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s all-new production of

The Nutcracker, priced from $15-$135, can be purchased in person at the BAM box

office, by phone at 718-636-4100 or online at www.bam.org. The BAM box office is

located at 30 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, New York. For more information, please visit

ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Principal casting follows.

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of American Ballet Theatre’s

The Nutcracker. Linda Allard is the Original Underwriting Sponsor of costumes

for The Nutcracker. Joan Taub Ades and Alan M. Ades, the Susan and Leonard

Feinstein Foundation, and Brian and Darlene Heidtke are Co-Underwriting

Sponsors of The Nutcracker. A gift as Co-Underwriting Sponsor of costumes for

The Nutcracker has been provided in loving memory of Ellen Everett Kimiatek.

Lisa and Dick Cashin, Linda and Martin Fell, and Ruth and Harold Newman

are Co-Underwriting Partners of The Nutcracker. The Nutcracker is generously

supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works

American Airlines is ABT’s Official Airline. Northern Trust is the Official

Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre.

LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton is the Official Sponsor of ABT II. ABT’s 2010

World Premiere season of The Nutcracker is also made possible with funds from the

National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state

agency and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with

the City Council.

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

The Nutcracker

The Brooklyn Academy of Music

December 22, 2010-January 2, 2011

FIRST WEEK

Wed. Eve., December 22, 7 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER (Preview #1) – Part*, Gomes*

Thurs. Mat., December 23, 2 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER (Preview #2) – Seo*, Hammoudi*

Thurs. Eve., December 23, 6:30 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER (World Premiere) – Murphy*, Hallberg*

Fri., December 24, 11:00 A.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Kajiya*, Simkin*

Fri., December 24, 3:30 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Herrera*, Stearns*

Sat., December 25 CHRSTMAS DAY – NO PERFORMANCE

Sun. Mat., December 26, 1:00 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Kajiya, Simkin

Sun., December 26, 5:30 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Part, Gomes

SECOND WEEK

Mon. Eve., December 27, 7 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Seo, Hammoudi

Tues. Eve., December 28, 7 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Murphy, Hallberg

Wed. Mat., December 29, 2 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Kajiya, Simkin

Wed. Eve., December 29, 7 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Herrera, Stearns

Thurs. Mat., December 30, 1:00 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Part, Gomes

Thurs. Eve., December 30, 5:30 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Reyes,* Cornejo*

Fri. Mat., December 31, 2 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Murphy, Hallberg

NUTCRACKER CASTING - Page 2

Sat., January 1 NEW YEAR’S DAY – NO PERFORMANCE

Sun. Mat., January 2, 1:00 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Herrera, Stearns

Sun. Eve., January 2, 5:30 P.M. THE NUTCRACKER – Reyes, Cornejo

*please note first time in a role:

Wed. Eve., Dec. 22 (Preview #1) – Part, Gomes

Thurs. Mat., Dec. 23 (Preview #2) – Seo, Hammoudi

Thurs. Eve., Dec. 23 (World Premiere) – Murphy, Hallberg

Fri., Dec. 24, 11:00 A.M. – Kajiya, Simkin

Fri., Dec. 24, 3:30 P.M. – Herrera, Stearns

Thurs. Eve., Dec. 30, 5:30 P.M. – Reyes, Cornejo

I notice that they give the names of only one couple. But...who are they..? An adult dancing Clara and the Nutcracker?-(given the pic of Gomes dressed as the character), or the Sugar Plum Fairy/Cavalier...?

I am confused by Pointe's tweet where it said Murphy and Hallberg will dance as Clara & Prince. While the promo card seems to indicate Clara will be danced by adolescents (presumably students of JKO).

christian -- The press release indicates: "Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes will debut in the leading roles of Clara and The Nutcracker Prince". So, an adult dancing Clara and the Prince.

I recently viewed a DVD of the ABT 1977 production of The Nutcracker, with Gelsey Kirkland as a dancing Clara and Baryshnikov as the Prince. From what I could tell, there wasn't even a Sugar Plum Fairy (or at least not one that had a sustained role distinct from corps de ballet fairies).

I think having a dancing Clara occupied by a principal or soloist is a good idea. It is one factor distinguishing the Ratmansky Nutcracker from its most direct competitor, if a family were to only attend at most one Nutcracker a year, the NYCB Nutcracker.

I'm not sure how I would feel if I were Gomes or Part, dancing the preview, but not having the technical premier's leads.

If I were Wiles, I would not be happy. Maybe she will be Sugar Plum Fairy in some productions, but, if I assume she would have wanted to be female lead in at least one of the productions. It's also presumably a somewhat disappointing outcome for Sarah Lane, with Yuriko K being paired with Simkins. Working well with Simkins is going to give Sarah, Yuriko or another dancer of similar height some meaningful opportunities going forward. That it's Yuriko who is getting this first major opportunity opposite Simkins is interesting (and appropriate, in my mind, at least relative to Sarah Lane).