This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

YAGP NYC Gala 2010March 26, 2010

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I walked in during his opening monologue. I could not pay attention because someone was in my seat when the lights went down and the usher abandoned me and told me to settle this on my own (?!)

A little OT, this reminded me of a theater Cuban rule of tongue, which establishes that once the lights are down, you no longer have rights over your seats, and so if someone is there already remains rightfully seated. Me and my friends used to buy the cheapest tickets available and just wait on the isles for the lights to come down, spotting empty seats, to where we would quickly move in a matter of seconds right at that moment-(the theater cooperates by allowing some extra minutes for this to happen). The result is that there are very few late comers, and no fighting when you fairly loose your seat rights. The late comer just quietly seats somewhere else.

#17 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

And WORLD PREMIERES by ABTís Marcelo Gomes ... (I wonder whether this refers to Gomes as choreographer?)

Gomes has choreographed before, so it probably does. He choreographed Isabella Boylston and Cory Stearns's 'modern' selection (it was quite balletic) for the Erik Bruhn prize 2 years ago. I reviewed it in my blog, which I don't think I'm allowed to link to.

#18 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

There is now more info on the 2011 gala:
"Featuring the stars of:
Jose Manuel Carreno (American Ballet Theatre)
Thomas Forster (American Ballet Theatre)
Ivan Vasiliev (Bolshoi Ballet)
Rubinald Pronk (Dutch National Ballet)
Gallim Dance
Yekaterina Kondaurova (Mariinsky Ballet)
Tiler Peck (New York City Ballet)
Tyler Angle (New York City Ballet)
Daniel Ulbricht (New York City Ballet)
Yuan Yuan Tan (San Francisco Ballet)
Anthony Spaulding (San Francisco Ballet)
Roderick George (Theater Basel)
And WORLD PREMIERES by ABT’s Marcelo Gomes and NYCB’s Benjamin Millepied" (I wonder whether this refers to Gomes as choreographer?)
http://yagp.org/gala...2011_index.html

Vasiliev's name got dropped - guess there'll be only Ekaterina Kondaurova defending the Russian ballet presentation

#19 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Vasiliev's name was dropped off the program, (it also looks like Kondaurova is gone too!), but Viengsay Valdes has been added, making her NYC debut. Oh - I do hope that she comes!

I got this from the City Center website:

Jose Manuel Carreno, Melanie Hamrick, Thomas Forster (American Ballet Theatre)
Andrea Miller (Gallim Dance)
Viengsay Valdes (National Ballet of Cuba)
Tiler Peck, Tyler Angle, Daniel Ulbricht (New York City Ballet)
Yuan Yuan Tan, Anthony Spaulding (San Francisco Ballet)

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Vasiliev's name was dropped off the program, (it also looks like Kondaurova is gone too!), but Viengsay Valdes has been added, making her NYC debut. Oh - I do hope that she comes!

This seems like a weak lineup compared to prior years. I guess money is in short supply to pay for more European guest artists to appear.

#21 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

This seems like a weak lineup compared to prior years. I guess money is in short supply to pay for more European guest artists to appear.

I agree, but we still have two and a half weeks to go - I'm hoping that there will be some last minute additions!

#22 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

...it also looks like Kondaurova is gone too!

:speechless-smiley-003: :angry2:

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yup, Kondaurova is gone...and Somova is in, dancing the world premiere of a Millepied pdd, with Alessio Carbone of POB. Full program, with dancers and titles of ballets, here:

http://www.yagp.org/...ess Release.pdf

Perhaps the Mariinsky wanted to make-up for Somova not having performed in the big Canada tour of Baya and Lake? On the positive side, I bet that she will be more appealing in a modern work, than in the classics. Just my opinion, of course. Looking on the bright side always.

p.s. I just realized that we've been posting to the wrong YAGP Gala thread. My link above is to the March 2011 gala, altough I suspect that all recent posts to this thread have assumed that we are talking about the upcoming 2011 edition.

I also see that Vasiliev is back in the program, dancing Don Q pdd with Ms Valdes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):