• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Apparently at this evening's premiere of Onegin, Isabelle Ciaravola and Matthias Heymann were named etoiles in a double announcement.

Congratulations to both!

#2 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, that's right. Congrats to both !

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

Fantastic! I have admired Ciaravola so much since she danced the Lifar LA BARRE in Delouche's film about Nina Vyroubova. Ciaravola danced exquisitely while Vyroubova coached her.

Congrats to both. Between this and the Veronika Part news at ABT, this is a good week for promotions.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

:clapping: to Mme. Ciaravola and M. Heymann.

#5 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

And a thought for Myriam Ould-Braham who deserves to be a principal, too.

There are now 9 women who are etoiles. That's a lot. And that means the journey of some youngest will still be long...

#6 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Congratulations to them both! :clapping: It's nice to see both Heymann's youthful talent and Ciaravola's perseverance rewarded.

#7 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

As the Thibault fans despair . . .

#8 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the news, and congratulations to the newly promoted etoiles.

I've seen Ciaravola a few times, and so far she has left me really cold (and I've had no opportunities to see Heymann, who is much younger).

The promotion policy always is hard to understand- there have been years with almost no promotions, and now many promotions recently, and the number of females étoiles has changed a lot (without much rational explanation...) Also, there used to be nearly no promotions to étoile after 30 (I remember that when Carole Arbo and Fanny Gaïda were promoted in 1993 at 31 or 32, many thought it was a bit late) and now there have been several "late" promotions (Romoli, Moussin, Ciaravola...)

#9 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

Well, for once, I feel these promotions are deserved.

About the number of principals: there is total number, that includes principals and premiers danseurs(seuses), men and women mixed, that can't be exceeded. Within that total number, the dispatching between the categories is free. For example, we could have 1 premiere danseuse, 12 etoiles women, 1 etoiles men, and 6 men premiers danseurs (these numbers are totally fanciful!).

The news that you can be be promoted later in your career is rather good, but I wonder now about working margins of POB's new director.

And since premieres danseuses positions were distributed with so much fantasy during competitions, it means that the youngest will have to wait for a long time or to be promoted directly from sujet to etoile...

#10 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

Could one of our French correspondents tell us what the current numerical distribution is between etoiles (male/female)/premiere danseuses/premiere danseurs? Thanks!

#11 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Etoiles (9 women, 8 men)
Isabelle Ciaravola, Emilie Cozette, Aurélie Dupont, Dorothée Gilbert, Marie-Agnès Gillot, Agnès Letestu, Delphine Moussin, Clairemarie Osta, Laëtitia Pujol
Jérémie Bélingard, Mathieu Ganio, Mathias Heymann, Manuel Legris, Nicolas Le Riche, José Martinez, Hervé Moreau, Benjamin Pech

Premiers danseurs (7 women, 7 men).
Eleonora Abbagnato, Nolwenn Daniel, Eve Grinsztajn, Mélanie Hurel, Myriam Ould Braham, Stéphanie Romberg, Muriel Zusperreguy
Yann Bridard, Stéphane Bullion, Alessio Carbone, Christophe Duquenne, Karl Paquette, Stéphane Phavorin, Emmanuel Thibault

#12 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

I would have put money on Mathilde Froustey and Karl Paquette being the next couple promoted to etoile - just shows how wrong you can be. Heymann is wonderful though, I saw him dance Colas in Ashton's Fille a couple of years ago and I'm not surprised at his promotion: only surprised that it has happened so soon.

Looking at the list of etoiles, I do think that few are as deserving of the title as the stars of the past and some aren't really that good in classical roles at all despite being excellent in modern roles. The same thing is happening at the Royal Ballet as well, a couple of principals being poor classicists.

I've given up on hoping Thibault gets promoted, but would settle for just seeing him on stage occasionally, his only chance of becoming an etoile would be if a new director appeared with a commitment to the classical repertoire, but that now seems unlikely to happen.

#13 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:51 AM

A video of the promotion !

#14 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

A video of the promotion !

May be... but it's "private"... not accessible anymore.

#15 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

It used to be public :D

Well, try this one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):