This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Where is the comedy?Two guys walk into a barre ...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

Have new choreographers introduced comedy into the Diamond Project? Or is it too risky?

I don't know if Wheeldon's "Variations Serieuses" was part of the Diamond Project, but it was very funny -- even in the set design. It's really "42nd St At The Ballet." He changed the ending after one season, and I felt the original ending was much better.

Also from the Diamond Project (I Think!) was Susan Stroman's "Blossom Got Kissed." which was one of a three-part ballet, perhaps from "Ellington" played by Wynton Marsalis....I get that and "Jazz" mixed up. At any rate, Maria Korowski played "Blossom," and showed a real gift for comedy.

And in 2004 Stroman's "Double Feature" was loaded with comedy -- remember the chase scenes with the masses of "maidens" in wedding dresses? The Boston Terrier and Tom Gold? Very Buster Keaton.

....and I'm sure there are more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):