This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet dancers as print models

Wendy Whelan is currently on the cover of Pointe magazine wearing a chocolate brown Monique Lhullier gown. I actually sucked in my breath when I saw this picture. She looks so stunning. womanly and sophisticated. I think ballet dancers are naturals for fashion photography. The fact that they know how to pose is part of it, but also the way they can convey movement without moving and the awareness they have of thier bodies in this space at that moment. Use them more fashion world!

Did any of the ballerina's from the 40's and 50's do fashion photography? Maybe Toumanova or Danilova? Didn't Suzanne Farrell do some modeling in the 60's for a perfume company?

Matching some current dancers with designers and perfumes I've come up with:

Darci Kistler for Estee Lauder Beautiful

Rachel Rutherford for Louis Vuitton

Sofiane Slyve for Channel

Nikolai Hubbe for Jockey shorts! :flowers:

Karla Korbes or Janie Taylor for any hair care products

Miranda Weese for St. Johns Bay

anymore?

Matching some current dancers with designers and perfumes I've come up with:

Darci Kistler for Estee Lauder Beautiful

Rachel Rutherford for Louis Vuitton

Sofiane Slyve for Channel

Nikolai Hubbe for Jockey shorts! :P

Karla Korbes or Janie Taylor for any hair care products

Miranda Weese for St. Johns Bay

anymore?

Certainly in a related product area, Darci Kistler is shown in ads for Movado watch.

I thought these might have finished their run, they are not exactly new, but 2 months ago I got another Playbill with this ad as the back cover.

Richard

In the current USA Vogue (w/Drew Barrymore on the cover), Irina Dvorovenko is feautured in an ad for Lenscrafters. Rather odd to see a dancer wearing ballet clothes and glasses. If I recall correctly, Irina is quoted as saying somehting like "In ballet, the whole point is to see"...

I assume this ad is running in other magazines too.

Currently the high-priced watch is represented by three dancers, Angel Corella Lopez (ABT), Sylvie Guillem (RB, sans Bejart), and Yuan-Yuan Tan (SFB).

You can see and read about them (click on site map, then on name: center column under Artists) here:

http://www.rolex.com/en/

It is interesting to learn about Angel's charity work, Sylvie's defiance, and Yuan-Yuan's career being based on a coin flip.

Saks did a multi page ad sometime this last year with dancers from ABT(corps members, I think)

If you want to see pictures of Irina & Max, checkout W after the ABT galas. Suzy always mentions them in her column, with who Irina is wearing and a nice picture.

Irina also was featured in an ad for Movado in US Vogue; I'm not sure what year. I've also seen in US Vogue an ad for the tour of the Broadway show, Movin' Out, featuring Ashley Tuttle and a guy, not sure whom.

And then there are the Capezio, Bloch, etc. ads but those are dance ads, are we only discussing mainstream ads? :wink:

Starr,

That Saks ad featured mostly Studio Company Members. The full page with sexy shirtless young man and the beautiful super model was my personal favorite... It was Gray Davis from Studio Co. There were also quite a few of Nicole Grangerio, Allison Miller and Isabella Boyleston, and a lot more of Gray. I also remember seeing Eric Tamm and Corey Stearnes and one of Sasha Radestsky and Stella Abrera. (PLEASE excuse my spelling!) :wink:

And then there was Rasta Thomas in the tv Gap commercial a few years back.

On the other hand, there's the issue of non-dancers modeling dancewear ... oh dear! I've got a few tear sheets of this kind of thing. It should be against the law. :tiphat:

One thing I've always noticed is how good dancers in general can make even unexpensive clothing look sensational. I guess that's the tradeoff of working in a profession that generally doesn't pay much. All you need with such a great 'hanger' is one little black dress. (The real Funny Face demonstrated that!!!)