25 replies to this topic

#1 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

The date for the usually annual gala, Stars of the 21st Century gala in New York is
February 13th at New York State Theater, Lincoln Center.

No list of performs or rep. But it will be posted when it is available.

#2 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

As per advert in this Sunday's Times, tickets were on sale at the box office this morning. I was a line of one. Prices $150 First Ring and Orchestra, $105 Second Ring, .... . Very good seats are available.

I copied the program from Dale's post under Heads Up last month:

'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY'

Monday February 13, 2006
State Theater/Lincoln Center
Reservations: CenterCharge at 212/721-6500 or theater box office

'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY," featuring principal dancers from the world's major ballet companies, will once again gather for a Gala Performance at The State Theater, Lincoln Center, Monday February 13 at 8 PM. Producer Solomon Tencer and Artistic Director Nadia Veselova Tencer have for ten years presented ballet galas in Paris, Cannes, New York, and Toronto. Stars of the Bolshoi Ballet, American Ballet Theater, Kirov Ballet, Munich Ballet, New York City Ballet, and Paris Opera Ballet will be joined by dancers from Complexions USA and Tango Metropolis Argentina.

American Ballet Theatre
Irina Dvorovenko, Maxim Beloserkovsky

Bolshoi Ballet
Svetlana Lunkina, Serge Filin

Complexions Inc. USA
Desmond Richardson, Tai Jimenez

Kirov Ballet
Andrian Fadeyev

Munich Ballet
Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

New York City Ballet
Sofiane Sylve

Paris Opera Ballet
Mathilde Froustey, Emmanuel Thibault

Tango Metropolis Argentina
Pilar Alvarez, Claudio Hoffmann

#3 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I just spoke to Solomon Tencer and he said the tickets were "flying", meaning sales have been swift today. I suppose, drb, if you were a line of one, that most folks are phoning CenterCharge to purchase theirs. I suggest that those who want to go start thinking about getting their tickets. Last year, there were people outside before the performance trying to buy tickets from anyone who had an extra one. It was a sold out event.

Edited to add:
I just got off the phone with CenterCharge. My seats are in the second ring side at $85 each. Third ring sides are $75.
There are great seats to be had right now.

Edited by Marga, 09 January 2006 - 01:49 PM.

#4 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

I didn't mean to imply seats weren't selling, just that, after the large advert in The Times, there was literally no one else there at noon (well, there were, but they were all in NYCB's line). And I did buy wonderfully good seats.
Loved last year's Gala, but that one did have Cojocaru and Vishneva to justify the price. Quite frankly, Cojocaru alone justifies tripling the price. Would be nice to know partners of Fadeyev and Sylve. Lacarra always delivers, and Irina/Max had quite a success in Paris (I think the Gala had four performances there... hopefully NYC is no longer pretending to be the dance center of the world...). I'm especially looking forward to seeing Mlle. Mathilde Froustey, especially since I doubt the Met will let us see POB during my lifetime.

#5 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know how much the 4th ring seats are?

#6 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well this may give an idea. I didn't see the NYT ad but last year 4th ring was either $60 or $65.

All the tickets did sell and it was really tough to get one that evening.

Richard

#7 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

Would be nice to know partners of Fadeyev and Sylve.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Andrian Fadeyev is partnering Sofiane Sylve in the Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux. That is the only piece he is in. Sylve is also doing a solo.

#8 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, Marga. By chance, any other info on what they'll be dancing?

#9 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

I did ask what some of the others were dancing, but since most of the choices hadn't been firmed up, I only reported on the two that were known for sure. Solomon Tencer thought Sylve was doing a Robbins for her solo, but he was not 100% sure. He said that Lacarra and Pierre were probably doing Dame aux Camelias for one of their PDD, but that wasn't the last word either.

I've been around since the galas began (I mean around the center of operations, which is the dance school Tencer runs with his wife Nadia Veselova), and have for years been privy to who's coming, who's gotten injured and has to be replaced, what is being danced, etc. I've seen the program change right up to the last minute, so I guess that what I reported earlier could also change if something unexpected happens. One of the most niggling things in the past has been with the dancers from Russia having to wait until the last minute to know if they've been granted a visa by the government. There is always the possibility of injuries, too, as was the case last year when Guillaume Côté (National Ballet of Canada) had to suddenly partner Svetlana Lunkina in La Sylphide pas de deux with little preparation.

When the dancers' choices are as completely set as possible, I'll post them.

#10 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

As per our policy, we must wait for the official release for details on repertoire. Please hold off on posting anything other than the official word, which we will post when received.

Thank you.

#11 BalletGirl

BalletGirl

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Bought tickets today and just wanted to let you know that the performance is at 7:30PM, not 8PM as stated above. Thanks

#12 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got my tickets yesterday - 3rd ring sides @ $75. Here are the 4th ring prices -

rows A&B - $75
C-K and side arms - $65
L-O $60

5th ring & standing room - $20

#13 beck_hen

beck_hen

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

I don't know, I feel that for someone living in New York, this isn't the most exciting lineup, since I've had the opportunity to see most of these dancers recently in other contexts. Cojocaru has the wow factor, and there are many other Royal Ballet dancers I would like to see now also, like Tamara Rojo. And wouldn't it be wonderful to see some Kirov favorites who are getting left behind on tours, like Pavlenko or Dumchenko?

#14 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

I don't know, I feel that for someone living in New York, this isn't the most exciting lineup, since I've had the opportunity to see most of these dancers recently in other contexts. Cojocaru has the wow factor, and there are many other Royal Ballet dancers I would like to see now also, like Tamara Rojo. And wouldn't it be wonderful to see some Kirov favorites who are getting left behind on tours, like Pavlenko or Dumchenko?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, for myself this isn't exactly my wish list of dancers I don't get to see much that I'd like to see.

Last year I went gaga over Cojocaru and Vishneva

I'm sure though that for others, this will serve as a drawing card.

But I'm going to skip it, I don't feel like paying a premium to see that slate .

Also I'm cautious what I buy in mid winter. I live in NJ and if we get a foot of snow, the $$$$$ I paid out goes down the drain. Unless I drive into Manahattan, all the other posibilities involve multiple links. And driving in a snowstorm isn't fun. Besides they could close the roads to non-essential traffic

Same day purchases are safest and I think this may be long since sold out by the day of the performance

Richard

#15 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, for myself this isn't exactly my wish list of dancers I don't get to see much that I'd like to see.

Last year I went gaga over Cojocaru and Vishneva

I'm sure though that for others, this will serve as a drawing card.

But I'm going to skip it, I don't feel like paying a premium to see that slate .

Also I'm cautious what I buy in mid winter. I live in NJ and if we get a foot of snow, the $$$$$ I paid out goes down the drain. Unless I drive into Manahattan, all the other posibilities involve multiple links. And driving in a snowstorm isn't fun. Besides they could close the roads to non-essential traffic

Same day purchases are safest and I think this may be long since sold out by the day of the performance

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with your reservations, and hope that they'll add more favorites to list as the day draws nearer. Last year I waited till a week or 2 before the performance and there wasn't much left. Of course that could have been due to the appearances of Cojocaru & Vishneva. Even if the line up stays the same, I really love Lacarra & Lunkina, so I'm looking forward to it.
But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop hoping for Pavlenko (or Ayupova or Rojo)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):