• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#46 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:17 AM

I hope and pray (yes, she is my favorite at NYCB) that there is a Giselle in her future; but I also am fearful that she might languish in the background of some big Company---not unlike Menieur, or for that matter, Veronika Part (who is finally coming into her own).

#47 lampwick

lampwick

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

Since someone's already mentioned it, I really think PNB would be a logical choice. I had actually sort of assumed that this is what she would be doing. But apparently, she doesn't have a job yet.

Wow, it's like baseball draft season or something...

#48 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:30 AM

It would certainly be true if you were actually interchangeable with other job-holders, and it IS common practice now for people in the highest positions -- but there's something marvellously old-fashioned, gracious, upstanding, lady-like, to my mind, about doing it this way. I admire her for it, and think it sets a wonderful example to a fearful public.

Paul, I was just struck by Ansanelliís implication that to leave with another job in place would in some way be morally wrong or self-dealing. She is indeed fortunate that she is in a position where she presumably has the financial and professional luxury of not doing so, and my point was that most people donít have said luxury. (And even if you do, thereís nothing underhanded about seeking alternative employment while you still have it.)

I certainly agree with you that it would be wonderful if Ansanelli came to SF. The company could sure use another ballerina.

#49 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:32 AM

Am I right in thinking that SFB also has more classics in its repertoire than the other NYCB-offshoot companies? If so, that could be an ideal match.

#50 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:37 AM

My deeply-ingrained superstitious self thinks that Boal alone coming to Seattle is tempting Fate. When it was announced that Korbes was coming, too, I had to sacrifice all free onstreet parking to Squat, the goddess of parking, just to keep the universe in balance. And now to find out in today's PI that it was through Boal's influence that Jonathan Porretta came to Seattle instead of Miami...

Adding Ansanelli to the mix would be too much good fortune in one place.

#51 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

I was just struck by Ansanelliís implication that to leave with another job in place would in some way be morally wrong or self-dealing. She is indeed fortunate that she is in a position where she presumably has the financial and professional luxury of not doing so, and my point was that most people donít have said luxury.

It is most likely that Ansanelli has never had to look for a job yet. Her entire professional life has been as she herself said (to paraphrase) 'in the family'.

#52 PetipaFan

PetipaFan

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

Where is Seattle?

#53 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

Seattle is on the coast of Washington State.

#54 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:53 PM

Alexandra Ansanelli as Giselle! Now that is a performance I would love to see!! I first mention PNB, but SFB is also a choice. There is alot of good companies in this country that would love to have Ansanelli, but I think we maybe limiting ourselves. Y'know Ansanelli could just as easily join a European company. The Royal Ballet, The Royal Birmingham Ballet, The Royal Danish Ballet, etc. All of them have Balanchine in their rep and of course they dance the classics. I'm not certain if Ansanelli has an international reputation but seeing that she was one of the promising and exciting young ballerinas at one of the world's leading ballet companies, I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem going into talks with them.

#55 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Well, you know Ansanelli is rather a unique Ballerina.

The body is most unclassical. In fact it's an extremly difficult body. Particularly the frequently locked up and twisted back. The lack of turnout one can live with. There are many un-turned out dancers who are great. But the random stiffness in her back is something else. And the history of weakness in her feet although she's somewhat overcome this in the last few years.

All the same, Ansanelli has always had to "fake it" a little physically in her dancing. She does it every time out. She has to, given how awkward the basic physique is. And she will continue to have to do this at moments.

But what has been so amazing and lovely has been precisely to see her transcend these same physical limitations. She throws herself so violently at those limitiations in her dancing, she is extremely difficult to partner, the way she throws herself around. She attacks the limits and finds a way for her to do it. I've seen her do some great things that way. Her first Allegro Brilliante two years ago for example was one of the finest Allegros I've ever seen.

She is also an amazingly charismatic dancer. She is hungry and open for and to the audience. Wherever you may be sitting in the theater, she seems to find you individually with her eyes. She can break your heart. She believes in herself as this rare creature, the Prima Ballerina, and ultimately, because of that, you believe in her as that.

If she lands with a company dancing evening length story ballets I think she will be very well suited to it. Drama is what Alexandra is best at. She will deliver the goods and please the crowds as Giselle, Kitri, etc. That audience is not too discerning anyway about whether the Italian Fouettes are strong or whether the upper body is delivering a karate chop during Odile's black swan finale. If you seem to do the 32, and throw yourself at them with passion, you get the flowers thrown at you.

I really cannot see her going to another Balanchine based company on the other hand. She has already pushed that envelope. She might as well have stayed where she was.

#56 Mark D

Mark D

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:39 PM

My fondest memory of Ansanelli is New Year's Eve 2003 when she gave a great demonstration of her charisma. As most of you know the dancers have traditionally used that performance of the Nutcracker to pull a prank on one of the dancers. That night she was dancing Dew Drop and the company picked on her. In the finale one of the Teas dropped her wig on the stage as she came out. She charged down the stage, scooped up the wig and held it up to the audience like a trophy. She continued dancing with the wig in her hand. As she leapt off the stage she threw it in the air. The audience just loved it. It may be unrealistisc, but my wife and I hope ABT picks her up so can continue to watch her dance.

#57 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

Dirac, you're right...i am sometimes so naive I have no respect for myself the next morning.

But I burn candles to Squat, the goddess of parking and SO MANY OTHER THINGS, like how to get down off your high horse..., and thank Helene once again for pointing me in the right direction.

SFB DOES have a lot of classics in the rep -- Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty in respectful productions, Don Q in a version that's really well put-together, La Sylphide, Giselle, and (it's not a classic, exactly, but it IS a dramatic ballet in 3 acts) Helgi's version of Romeo an Juliet.... and we could use another charismatic star.

#58 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

Where is Seattle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why, right here.

North of California, south of Canada.

Mt. St. Helens (the volcano?) In Washington state.

#59 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

But I burn candles to Squat, the goddess of parking and SO MANY OTHER THINGS, like how to get down off your high horse..., and thank Helene once again for pointing me in the right direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, so you two made me google Squat, the goddess of parking. I had never heard of such a thing before! It seems to be connected to paganism. If that is true, I'd be afraid to use the term, lest I be thought to know more about such practices. But if it is a free range idiom, I can't wait to use it! Please elucidate for a moment. Sorry to veer this thread off-topic, but I just have to know!

#60 PetipaFan

PetipaFan

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:09 AM

This reminds me of a sign I saw the other day, "NO Parking, Witches Only, others will be toad."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):