This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

My sister fell asleep at ABT

I went to LA to visit my sister and to go see ABT's Tchaikovsky mixed program and Giselle. I took my sister to Giselle and we had great seat at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (Founder Club Circle, Row G, center). It was incredible... unfortunately, my sister fell asleep before the Peasant Pas de Deux... *sigh*

I feel bad mostly, b/c the cancellation line was so long, that there were obviously many people that would have appreciated it. i'd rather have given one of THEM the ticket.

-goro-

Sounds like a frustrating disappointment for you -- so I'm glad you liked the performance so much. I assume your sister is an infrequent -- or possibly even an unwilling -- ballet goer.

Your post raises an interesting question for those of us who are passionate about the art. How DO we maintain the level of attention and emotional involvement necessary to see and appreciate everything we know is being put on the stage in front of us?

Even in the best performances --- and sometimes the ones I've most looked forward to -- there are times when I find myself wandering off into some lateral dream world of steps, music, color, shopping lists, tomorrow's business, etc Or, that dreadful experience of finding you can't stop thinking about some mannerism or oddity about the third swan from the left. Or -- comparing the performance with something I saw in the past, for me a very dangerous distraction from what I am actually seeing now.

This always begins with what is on stage but slowly pull me away from it. Some of the things that work for me include: getting a good night's sleep, doing some some prior research, and sitting forward in my seat. I also find it very helpful to be with someone who expects to talk about (and listen, too) the ballet at intermission or on the drive home.

One of the unintended benefits of Standing Room is that it's really difficult to fall asleep while you're standing up. Of course, it doesn't do much to help the Wandering Mind Syndrome :dunno: , but unless that really gets out of hand (Now, what's in my refrigerator?), I have learned to consider it part of the experience.

I feel so bad for your sister! A couple of weeks ago, I nodded off at a Hubbard Street Dance Chicago performance. I really, really liked the piece, and it was by far the best of the afternoon. It was just one of those things -- a long walk, an hour or two of gardening, and BOOM! I was out. Actually, the voices in my head were rather amusing: "Must .... not .... nod .... off....It's okay, shut your eyes; you can still watch with them closed! ... No ... must... keep .... eyes .... open....HEY! How'd they get from stage left to stage right? .... Go ahead, just shut them for a little bit..."

At intermission I made a beeline for the coffee stand.

But then, I also once fell asleep at a Bruce Springsteen concert, with seats in the back of the stage about 10 rows back ...

Nothing bugs me more than when the person in front of me sits forward in thier seat at the State Theatre in NYC. It totally blocks the view of the person behind you! I've had to tap on so many shoulders.

Oh, that's a pet peeve of mine too. Not just the the NYST, but any kind of tiered seating.

Some theaters are a little better, each row is off set just a bit so that you are looking between the two people in the row in front of you rather than the back of someone's head.

For people leaning forward, I politely ask them to sit back. Most people understand the issue.

I must admit I have become rather agressive at other forms of audience misbehavior.

Richard

I usually wait until the end of the first phrase after the curtain goes up, because most of the time, they're leaning forward in anticipation and unconsciously relax back once the action starts. Most people who need to be asked are happy to comply (unless, of course, they're sitting behind a leaner), but there are exceptions.

Once or twice, I've been compelled to kick the seat until the offender finally sits back, but I really hate to do it, because I'm aware that the whole row must endure the punishment intended for only one. But I can't help but think, "If I can't enjoy this because of you, Leaner, I'm going to be sure you can't enjoy it, either."

:dunno:

You kick the seat??!! Wow! Angry as I get at this misbehavior (I do ask them to sit back) I never thought of kicking the seat. Makes one think of the 2 year old sitting behind you on a plane who has nothing to do and then discovers that his feet reach that soft thing in front of him. Good going, Carbro, I think.

Giannina

I've been to the ballet several times with people who have fallen asleep, and I've occasionally dozed off myself. Falling asleep is definitely more annoying to the person accompanying the sleeper, who must keep elbows poised for poking in case of embarrassing snores. On the other hand, sleepers are often sleeping lightly enough to be vaguely aware of what's happening onstage and think they haven't missed a thing. Some of our most scholarly reviews result from this condition.

Too bad about your sister, Goro, but please tell us how you liked the performance.

It was Jose Carreno and Julie Kent; Alessandra Ferri was scheduled and was the reason I bought the tickets in the first place, but apparently she danced 4 Giselles in 4 days and injured herself. They were simply magnificent. From what i've seen of Kent in the past, i'd always found her sort of cold, but she radiated sweetness and then her descent into Ophelia-dom was shuddering. Carreno was just amazing. His variation in the 2nd act was so beautiful but so moving at the end (as he finished his 7-8 pirouetes, he started to sway for the last 2 and then his arms splayed out and he hung for just a moment on demi-pointe and then collapsed.... wow).

Herman Cornejo and Xiomara Reyes (how do you pronounce that name, is it "Shaomara" or "Zhaomara" or ..? ) were Peasnt PDD and they were splendid. Cornejo of course just blew everyone away when he came in with his ginormous front-double-cabrioles (Kumakawa is the only person i've ever seen to have bigger cabrioles than Cornejo).

Corps was incredible. I'm just not used to seeing a corps dance like that. Each dancer was dancing with such presence and (at times) with the energy of a principal. They received a well-deserved ovation. They really elevated this from a great ballet to a transcendent experience.

I've only ever seen GISELLE on video and seeing it live with ABT mesmerized me and entranced me, sent shivers up and down my spine, elevated my spirit and then dashed my heart. I loved every minute of it.

When it was over, i was emotionally spent.

I've enjoyed ballets before and "LOVED" them before, but GISELLE just took a hold of me in a completely different way; it wasn't just the dancing; it was the acting.

-goro-

Once or twice, I've been compelled to kick the seat until the offender finally sits back, but I really hate to do it, because I'm aware that the whole row must endure the punishment intended for only one.  But I can't help but think, "If I can't enjoy this because of you, Leaner, I'm going to be sure you can't enjoy it, either."

:dunno:

Sigh, I mentioned last night that if all polite methods methods fail, I do resort to more agressive tactics

I guess I went to the same "boot" camp as Carbro, when polite methods don't seem to work, yes I also kick the back of the seat.

Honestly, I usually never have to do this for people leaning forward, if a polite request doesn't work, I tell them I wil get the usher to resolve the situation.

My only recent(say within last 12 months) seat kickings have been for a bunch of people playing with a Blackberry and giggling and for someone eating out of a cello bag, both during a performance.

I am going to sound like an ogre I know (maybe I AM an ogre) but if the noisy , misbehaving person is not quite in "seat kicking" range, I lob a program at them.

Richard

:):FIREdevil:

At least she wasn't snoring, was she?  I remember being at one performance... no, I guess I won't tell this story until all parties involved are beyond being hurt by the memory.

When San Francisco Ballet was at the Kennedy Center a few years back, a woman a couple of seats away from us snored her way through much of Dances at a Gathering. If she hadn't been elderly I would have reached across her partner if need be to wake her. I didn't have the heart to do that to an old lady.

Goro, thanks so much for sharing your impressions of the performance. Julie Kent has never been one of my favorite dancers, but after reading your review I think I'm going to try to catch her in Giselle this summer. If she changes my mind, it wont be the first time it's happened. I saw Amanda McKerrow in Swan Lake 5-6 years ago. Although her line was beautiful, I found her cold and avoided her from then on. Imagine my disappointment when I saw her name on that dreaded white slip, subbing for the dancer I had come to see in Giselle. McKerrow blew me away, her Giselle was so delicate & ethereal, truly heartbreaking. Now I'm really bummed that I will have to miss the final Giselle of her career due to a business obligation... :dunno:

Richard, "eating out of a cello bag" ?? Do you mean they had put food inside the musical instrument's case?? The mind boggles...

GWTW, no although that would have probably been less noisy. I was meaning a cellophane bag. They are in the same category are people who unwrap candies wrapped in crinkly paper.

Actually the muncher would take a few chips out of the bag (crinkle, crinkle) close the bag (crinkle), pick up a bottle of water, open it (pop) and take a swig(gulp)

This only went on a very few minutes after which he decided it was easier to move somewhere else than deal with me.

I got several thank you's from people in surrounding seats during intermission.

Richard

Richard, "eating out of a cello bag" ?? Do you mean they had put food inside the musical instrument's case?? The mind boggles...

GWTW, no although that would have probably been less noisy. I was meaning a cellophane bag. They are in the same category are people who unwrap candies wrapped in crinkly paper.

Actually the muncher would take a few chips out of the bag (crinkle, crinkle) close the bag (crinkle), pick up a bottle of water, open it (pop) and take a swig(gulp)

This only went on a very few minutes after which he decided it was easier to move somewhere else than deal with me.

I got several thank you's from people in surrounding seats during intermission.

Richard

I was at a performance of the Mark Morris company last weekend, and was sitting quite close to the choreographer. The opening work began in silence, with maybe 2 or 3 minutes of stillness before the music started (played live, for which I was very grateful). There was a couple who were whispering back and forth during this time (very annoying) and after an increasingly uncomfortable time, Morris shushed them, very distinctly. I'm not sure they knew who he was, but they quieted down right away.

Nothing bugs me more than when the person in front of me sits forward in thier seat at the State Theatre in NYC. It totally blocks the view of the person behind you! I've had to tap on so many shoulders.

Well, then, you've probably tapped on mine! :FIREdevil:

I know what leaning forward does to the view of the person behind me, but I live with a severe health problem which leaves me no choice but to lean forward after about an hour of sitting when the pain in my middle becomes excruciating if I don't. I put up with my discomfort as long as I can until it becomes too painful to endure, then I just have to lean forward. I try to lean off to the side so as not to block the view too much. Now, everyone does not have my problem, but before you approach your next shoulder, finger pointed in readiness to tap, remember there may be a legitimate reason for the errant leaner. Buying tickets through ticketmaster does not allow me to choose my seat, otherwise I would get last row seats or side seats every time. (And, if anyone kicked my seat, it could trigger a hypertensive paroxysm. I suppose I should start to consider whether attending the ballet might be more life-threatening than my disease is. Being jostled can someday be the indirect cause of a heart attack or stroke for me. Not all balletomanes walk around in the same body. I know one does not think of this when one has always been well. I used to be well, too. Now I know better, and give people the benefit of the doubt before unleashing my ballet-rage on them. :dunno: )

What about the patron who is six feet (or more) tall? I can NEVER see through them and there's little they can do about it other than slink down in their seat. Hmmm, maybe the too tall and the infirm should not be allowed to go to the ballet? :)

My dad and uncle used to always fall asleep at the annual Nutcracker, even when they were young and the venue was still City Center. I don't think this behavior should have disqualified them from attending the ballet! The years spent observing this Christmas tradition, with its requisite restaurant dining, dressing up in pretty clothes, hearing the lilting tones of the overture as it began to transport us to the world of the Stahlbaums and the upcoming magic of the snowy forest and the realm of the Sugar Plum Fairy, was made so much sweeter by having the family all sitting together. The dads dozing off was part of the outing! Sure, our mothers had their elbows primed to jab at the first snore, but I would have felt an emptiness at not having my father there.

My father is gone now, but my uncle is still alive (just turned 89) and now he goes to the ballet to watch my daughter dance, after crossing the ocean with my mother in order to do so. He is peacock-proud and quite involved in his ballet dancer great-niece's life, helping supplement her meager income and writing back-and-forth with her. Maybe those catnapping years at the ballet 45-50 years ago planted a seed? I'd like to think so!

Well, when I first started going to the ballet regualrly about 15 years ago, I often fell asleep, but for me it was a sign of enjoyment. I was working very hard at a new job and had various personal issues going on, but when I went to the ballet I relaxed enough to drop off. Ideally, I would just relax without sleeping, but it was not always possible. I think I have never actually stayed awake throughout Vienna Waltzes. Even when I stay awake, which is most of the time now, at a good performance I can feel knots of muscle in my back opening up -- the only other time this happens is during a massage.

. . . before you approach your next shoulder, finger pointed in readiness to tap, remember there may be a legitimate reason for the errant leaner. . . .  (And, if anyone kicked my seat, it could trigger a hypertensive paroxysm. I suppose I should start to consider whether attending the ballet might be more life-threatening than my disease is.

Marga, I am so sorry about your suffering. I assume that were I to ask you to sit back, you would explain that a physical problem prevents it. I would recognize your efforts to be considerate of those around you despite your affliction and would certainly not kick your seat.
Buying tickets through ticketmaster does not allow me to choose my seat, otherwise I would get last row seats or side seats every time. . . What about the patron who is six feet (or more) tall?
Is mail order an option for you? I'm sure that if you enclosed a note explaining the situation, the box office would be happy to accommodate your (or your neighbor's) needs. I knew of a six-footer who got second-night tickets to the theater. He always requested an aisle seat toward the rear (where seats are usually more steeply raked) due to the fact that his height could be a problem for those behind him.

My Lord, I didin't realize that a brief reference to "sitting forward in my seat" would provoke so much ... er .... negative response. Actually, it's quite thrilling to think of all the powerful emotions that can be engendered at the ballet. Kind of like what happens in the course of the Green Table.

Maybe I should rephrase, since I am certainly aware and respectful of the sight-lines of people behind me. I "avoid slouching" in the seat.