This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

My sister fell asleep at ABT

My worst experience was when a tall grandmother held her granddaughter in her lap and they sat with their heads cuddled side by side during the entire ballet. I could not see over them nor around them.

When people block my view at the ballet, for whatever reason (sometimes it's just poor theatre design), I fantasize about being rich enough to buy a ticket for the seat in front of me just to guarantee a clear view of the stage. Then I remind myself that getting upset about it will just further diminish my enjoyment. Then I complain about it all the way home....

It does seem that something as innocuous as attending the ballet can get one swept up in unexpected but quite thrilling undercurrents of annoyance, distraction, suppressed rage, revenge fantasy, and even occasional audience-participation violence. Who knew?

Let's look at it from another point of view. Night after night, several thousand people (mostly strangers to each other) sit in vast darkened spaces -- silently (mostly), with minimal fidgiting, maintaining high levels of attentiveness to what is taking place on stage, each person immersed in his or her own individual experience of the shared event. Quite a miracle, I should think.

I fantasize about being rich enough to buy a ticket for the seat in front of me just to guarantee a clear view of the stage. 

This would have been a great solution for me at the "Met" last season. My standing room days are long over and I bow to my age by sitting in the orcherstra. I was sitting comfortably in my seat when a not-too-tall woman sat in front of me and did not obstruct my view; but then she produced a thick cushion which raised her considerably in her seat. (The cushion was the same color and texture of the seat upholstery; I saw it a few more times after this---apparently, the "Met" provides them). There was much craning of my neck during the performance. There is not much of a rise in the auditorium floor of the "Met"; it's OK for opera, but a problem for ballet. This year I hope to beat them---my tickets for NYCB and ABT are all upstairs. :crying:

I was sitting comfortably in my seat when a not-too-tall  woman sat in front of me and did not obstruct my view; but then she produced a thick cushion which raised her considerably in her seat.  (The cushion was the same color and texture of the seat upholstery; I saw it a few more times after this---apparently, the "Met" provides them). 

Several theaters here in Seattle have these now -- they're mostly used for children, but I've seen shorter adults with them as well. I'm 5'3'', tall enough most of the time, but not when I'm sitting behind tall people, especially tall women with big hair. I haven't tried a cushion yet, but I've certainly thought about it!