This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The email also said that the company will be performing this fall in Madrid:

"SF Ballet will tour to Madrid this October with eight performances of Helgi Tomasson's Swan Lake at the historic Teatro Real, one of the most prestigious opera houses in Europe. This is SF Ballet’s first international tour since 2019, and its first visit to Madrid."

On 4/4/2024 at 4:12 PM, Josette said:

The email also said that the company will be performing this fall in Madrid:

"SF Ballet will tour to Madrid this October with eight performances of Helgi Tomasson's Swan Lake at the historic Teatro Real, one of the most prestigious opera houses in Europe. This is SF Ballet’s first international tour since 2019, and its first visit to Madrid."

Of all the things that make the company distinct, and all the things that SFB does well, why choose Swan Lake? And only Swan Lake?

14 hours ago, pherank said:

Of all the things that make the company distinct, and all the things that SFB does well, why choose Swan Lake? And only Swan Lake?

That's a great point.  I wonder which ballets make SFB the most money?  I wouldn't be shocked if Swan Lake sells out more easily than other shows, but I also assume the cost of shipping all the sets/costumes will be quite high.  

SFB is certainly very good at full length classics, but I think Swan Lake pretty far from what they do best and make them interesting as a company.  I feel like of the works they've done this season, Broken Wings and MADCAP represent the company and its skills much better.  Maybe even Midsummer, given the American choreographer and several dancers in the company with Balanchine training.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:25 AM, Phrenchphry11 said:

I feel like of the works they've done this season, Broken Wings and MADCAP represent the company and its skills much better.  Maybe even Midsummer, given the American choreographer and several dancers in the company with Balanchine training.

All good suggestions, and I feel like an audience would be lucky to get to see SFB perform A Midsummer Night's Dream. That's a great show. But touring with a mixed-rep for every other night would be worthwhile too - then they could really show off their impresssive range.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:33 AM, its the mom said:

Many times, it's the theatre that requests the ballet(s) to be performed. Perhaps it was Teatro Real's choice?

That's very possible. Certainly you would expect the theatre to know the local audience. But Madrid is a sophisticated arts town, one would think the dance audience would enjoy seeing SFB's range of talents.

Madrid may need a dose of Swan Lake.  I know that Los Angeles certainly does, as the last time we had Swan Lake at the Los Angeles Music Center or Segerstrom Center of the Arts was around 2012.   I was advised by an excellent source that we would have Swan Lake in 2025, but that season has not yet been announced officially, so we wait a bit longer for confirmation ....

6 hours ago, Josette said:

Madrid may need a dose of Swan Lake.  I know that Los Angeles certainly does, as the last time we had Swan Lake at the Los Angeles Music Center or Segerstrom Center of the Arts was around 2012.   I was advised by an excellent source that we would have Swan Lake in 2025, but that season has not yet been announced officially, so we wait a bit longer for confirmation ....

Classical ballet in LA has certainly struggled. You have just reminded me of the time I went to see Ekaterina Kondaurova and the Mariinsky perform Swan Lake in Costa Mesa, because I wanted to see a traditional version of Swan Lake. Seems like a lifetime ago.

7 minutes ago, pherank said:

Classical ballet in LA has certainly struggled. You have just reminded me of the time I went to see Ekaterina Kondaurova and the Mariinsky perform Swan Lake in Costa Mesa, because I wanted to see a traditional version of Swan Lake. Seems like a lifetime ago.

I was there.  She was superb and had the most successful characterization in making the two roles different that I have seen.   

5 minutes ago, Josette said:

I was there.  She was superb and had the most successful characterization in making the two roles different that I have seen.   

Yes, it was a great performance. The Costa Mesa crowd tends to be "clap happy", but much of that applause was deserved. I knew of Kondaurova because she was the first really believable 'contemporary' dance performer the Mariinsky had. I think those early tours were partly intended for Kondaurova to prove herself as a classical ballerina. She was an up-and-comer at that time.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:44 AM, Josette said:

What great unofficial news Josette! 🎉

On 4/17/2024 at 10:44 AM, Josette said:

Swan Lake is coming to Los Angeles after a long absence.   

LA Music Center's 2024/2025 Dance Season, aka Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center, is announced:

Urban Bush Women              Nov. 22-24, 2024

Batsheva Dance Company   Feb. 14-16, 2025

Alvin Ailey Dance Theater     March 2-6, 2025

Grupo Corpo                           May 2-4, 2025

Swan Lake - Boston Ballet     June 26-29, 2025   

27 minutes ago, Josette said:

Swan Lake is coming to Los Angeles after a long absence.   

LA Music Center's 2024/2025 Dance Season, aka Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center, is announced:

. . . Swan Lake - Boston Ballet     June 26-29, 2025   

Very interesting! Their Swan Lake is by Mikko Nissinen, their artistic director. 

https://www.bostonballet.org/performances/swan-lake/