This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarah Kaufman laid off by Washington Post!

California

On 12/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, abatt said:

I wish the NY Times would hire her.  The folks they have writing dance reviews at NY Times now are unimpressive.

That was my first thought too. I wondered if the NYT would ever lay off their critic[s].  I do like Marina Harss very much but she usually writes articles rather than reviews.

With the emphasis on features at the NYT, that's what Harss writes for them.  You have to search for the reviews she writes on Fjord Review.  She also does seasonal dance previews for The New Yorker.

She used to review frequently for Dance Tabs.

She's spent a substantial amount of time writing a critical bio of Alexei Ratmansky for Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, which, according to an event with Lynn Garafola, is "forthcoming."

https://m.facebook.com/events/the-norfolk-library/lynn-garafola-in-conversation-with-marina-harss/743942826882859/

I'm having no luck finding anything more specific on the publication date.

So while she might have a little bit of time freed up, she should be on a book tour, and I hope she gets to see and write about performances as she travels.

@ Helene:   Harss is a terrific writer.  I've been reading her reviews and articles for many years.  A few months ago on her Instagram, I think she said the Ratmansky book was being published in spring of 2023.  I did see her interview Lynn Garafola - somewhere, but not on Facebook.

I'm feeling sad for Kaufman, for the DC dance community, and the community of dance writers -- this is just a misery.

One thing that they didn't mention in the coverage -- she is the second dance writer to get a Pulitzer.  The first was Alan Kriegsman, who also wrote for the Washington Post.  The paper seems determined to shoot itself in the foot.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:29 AM, California said:

Devastating news! Sarah Kaufman laid off by the Washington Post. I assume they'll rely on some free-lancers receiving token compensation, but still...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/12/01/sarah-kaufman-laid-off/

On 12/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, abatt said:

I wish the NY Times would hire her.  The folks they have writing dance reviews at NY Times now are unimpressive.

Cancelling Kauffman and the Sunday magazine could impact subscriptions-digital only locals M-Sat cancelling Sunday delivery?    The Washington Post will end its Sunday magazine, eliminate positions - The Washington Post 

Edited by maps
-
9 hours ago, maps said:

Cancelling Kauffman and the Sunday magazine could impact subscriptions-digital only locals M-Sat cancelling Sunday delivery?    The Washington Post will end its Sunday magazine, eliminate positions - The Washington Post 

This is the situation I find myself in.  The magazine was the major attraction of getting Sunday delivery.  The separate op-ed section "Outlook" has been reduced to 4 pages and uncluded in the back of the main section. It's an incredible shrinking paper.

I imagin we might get an occasional review of a major company by a music or theater critic and local companies might receive a human interest story buried in the "Metro" section.

Edited by lmspear
To add a final thought.